towing with Subaru Outback - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #29
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Roger... great pics! Makes one want to get out on the road and see the country.

Glen, thnxs for the explanation. I see what your situation was like.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #30

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
The Subaru vehicles get high quality ratings for family transportation however all the reports I have read seem to indicate is is not a very good choice for towing.
I have interviewed owners of both the Toyota RAV 4 and the Highlander and they report excellent results for towing....both these SUVs have a 6 CYL engine.

Never attempt to tow more weight than the manufacturer lists as maximum.
I like to deduct about 10% from the maximum to allow a safety margin.
Say goodby to the Subaru and get something that can do the job!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #31
MC1

Ontario
Sure there is always a vehicle with a more powerful engine (ie BMW X5, Mercedes Bluetec, Ford Taurus Eco boost, Infiniti FX etc), and for sure most of us like power but the Sub's are highly respected by many towing enthusiasts ....

Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #32

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Sometimes it is not just about the engine....considering the low recommended maximum tounge weight posted by Subaru I might suggest Subaru might be trying to tell buyers something. Their low maximum tow weights also limits your possible TT choices.

My suggestion: Get the right tool for the job.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
MC1

Ontario
A good point Uplander. It is important to tow within the safe limits of one's rig.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #34

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Peter B,

Have you considered the Little Guy T@B trailer? It was originally on my short list because the Outback can handle it. What ever you pull with your Outback be sure to add an auxiliary tranny cooler.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #35

Name: Oscar
Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
Our 6 Outback towed a Trillium 15ft - no real problems. Some downshifting on grades.. Many trailers being towed by small cars in other parts the world.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #36

Name: Felix47
Trailer: casita
California
towing

I tow a 17 foot Casita with bathroom with essentially a Honda Civic (an Acura RSX so it has more horsepower but it is the same car). It has a stick shift and I baby it so it does not overheat. Motor pulls fine no matter how steep.....Cajon pass for example...in fourth gear. You have to wire in a brake controller and if the trailer does not have electric brakes you have to put them in. If you get a tail wags the dog problem just tap the controller.

Ride height is an issue.....so I take the propane tanks off and put them in the back on a rack that is welded in and I make sure all fluids are drained and no junk in the trailer. Dry toilet and forget the blackwater tank thing.....just too heavy. Sometimes I leave the propane tanks home as well and the Casita is just a nice tent. Everything including food and anything heavy goes in the car or does not go. The A/C is taken out and either goes in the front seat or rear rack or stays home depending on where we are going. Frankly, the propane tanks and the A/C are the big heavy things up front. Keep the jack and tool kit in the car. If you have to have A/C go to Walmart and buy one when you get there....it is cheaper than a hotel room....and give it away when you leave.

On the highway with the Casita you are going to get 22-24 MPG if you stay under 55 leave your A/C and propane tanks at home and only get food when you get there and if there are hookups use a hot plate for cooking or eat MRE's otherwise. When it is windy or if any question.....pull over and wait it out....In Europe they tow all sorts of stuff with Honda Civics. So the Subie should do it easily with a little planning and some minor sacrifice and if it has 4WD even better.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #37

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
We tow our Scamp deluxe front bath with our 2014 outback 4 cyl. cvt. Seems to work well after 10,000 plus towing miles over the Rockies, etc. Not that we can pass everyone on mountain grades, but it works fine for us. Really rare when we couldn't hold 60 mph on mountain grades. Most of our miles are in cool weather so we don't know about over-heating. Mileage is about 18 on the flat. Tricky to keep the Scamp's tongue weight under the Subaru's recommended 200, but it can be done with load shifting in the trailer. Tows like a dream, no sway. We only know the Scamp is there when asking for quick acceleration or when we look in the rear view mirror. Then again when we tow we are in vacation mode and don't really look for quick off-the-line starts. Any towing calls for paying attention driving up on-ramps and if possible even planning your stops. I would not tow anything over 1000 pounds without electric brakes.

john
Thank-you for your comments, John.
I've been reading all the posts about Outback towing here and on the Outback forum, and doing a lot of research. We also have a 2014 Outback 4cyl with the CVT. We love the Outback and the CVT works well.
Just bought a 2012 Egg Camper. The Egg is 1924# with existing options and no luggage or extras. John's 13' Scamp w/bath should be about 1600# without any extras or luggage, so we would be starting at 324# more, but we hope to travel very light. The frontal wind load area of the Egg and the Scamp should be similar, so the wind load should not add to our pulling ability in a comparison with John's.
The 200# Outback max. tongue weight has been mentioned a lot. The light subframe to the rear of the rear axle of the car could be one reason for the low limit. I installed the hitch myself and can attest to the lack of "robustness". The CVT may also be a factor, but most reports give very good marks to the CVT towing. Another issue is one that a Subaru tech mentioned--that is the all wheel drive system. The system on the 2010-2014 4 cyl. Outback's with CVT is a front biased drive 60%/40%. A reasonable guess is that a large amount of weight in the rear of the car (like from a heavy tongue weight) might make the front wheels light, changing that ratio, which might make the all wheel drive system work to correct more often than in normal driving.
Whatever the reason for the 200# hitch weight limit, I plan on keeping with the 200# limit. We'll have to load lightly and carefully as close and low to the trailer axle as possible, adjust the front to back load, then take a few test runs, and if it appears the Outback is straining, then we'll have to tow with the Chevy Tahoe. Luckily, the price of Gas is down. We plan on a trip from the Northeast to Florida, then Texas and maybe Calif. and back in winter 2015.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #38

Western Massachusetts
Thanks for posting the towing test video. Interesting to note that the test is in South Africa, with the 2.0 4 cyl diesel boxer type engine and CVT, otherwise basically the same car as the USA Outback, and the South Africa spec tow limit is 1700kg, or 3740#! Makes me feel better about towing 2000-2400# with a 2700# USA spec limit.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frontal area

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
The frontal wind load area of the Egg and the Scamp should be similar, so the wind load should not add to our pulling ability in a comparison with John's.
Frontal area is the biggest load on the engine at speed in most driving situations. The frontal area of the Eggcamper is about 20% larger than a Scamp 13, The Eggcamper is about 10% wider and 10% taller than a Scamp 13.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #40

Western Massachusetts
Thanks for the info, Norm
I know the Egg is wider, but did not realize the difference was that much. The Egg looks to be rounded a bit more than the Scamp. Hope that will help. (maybe) So, Guess I've got to keep the weight down even more.
So, as a matter of towing economy, if You and I were going in the same direction, with the Egg punching that larger hole through the air, you would benefit in the gas mileage department by driving right behind me-ha!
Thanks, Mark
Old 12-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mark, I suspect ou'll tow the Eggcamper just fine. We towed our small trailers including a Scamp 16 for years with new trouble with a four cylinder Honda CRV. Personally my only concern would be the CVT only because I've never owned one.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #42
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix47 View Post
I tow a 17 foot Casita with bathroom with essentially a Honda Civic (an Acura RSX so it has more horsepower but it is the same car).
Nice ride Felix... I was just reading about a guy on another forum towing with an 05 Acura TSX. If you are interested I can give you a link.