towing with Subaru Outback - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Outback
Alberta
towing with Subaru Outback

I was just wondering if anyone out there has towed a 17' Escape with plan "A", that is without the bathroom, with a 2012 Subaru Outback with the V6 3.6L engine? I have a class 3 hitch.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And lived to tell about it?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Peter B, welcome to the forum.

I had a similar question a few months back about the 15A only I had the 2.5 in my Outback. Either way the tongue weight of the 17A will be too much. According to the FAQ on the Escape site, “17′ Escape, Plan A with a dry weight of 1,900lbs will travel fully loaded at about 2,900lbs”. That said you would be well over the 200lb max for the Outback.

The solution for me was to trade my Outback for a good used TV capable of safely towing my soon to arrive 17B.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Alberta

[QUOTE=OneOleMan;495017]Peter B, welcome to the forum.

I had a similar question a few months back about the 15A only I had the 2.5 in my Outback. Either way the tongue weight of the 17A will be too much. According to the FAQ on the Escape site, “17′ Escape, Plan A with a dry weight of 1,900lbs will travel fully loaded at about 2,900lbs”. That said you would be well over the 200lb max for the Outback.

The solution for me was to trade my Outback for a good used TV capable of safely towing my soon to arrive 17B.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info Pat. I guess I'll have to find a lighter Escape trailer.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The Escape 15A and 15B have a "dry hitch weight" of 190 lbs.
After you fill the propane tank, you will be over the Subaru 200 lb.hitch limit.
There were a few 13' made. Don't know the hitch weight.
Really, you need to upgrade the tow vehicle capability. You're pretty much looking at a Honda Pilot or a Toyota Highlander ( two popular SUVs ).
Old 12-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Towing with Subaru

We have the 2.5 engine in a 2011 Outback and have been researching towing. The 6 cylinder has the same tongue weight limit of 200 and a slightly higher maximum towing weight limit than our 2700. The problem for us is that on the 2.5, when on long climbs in hot weather, the manufacturer cuts the maximum tow weight in half to 1350. (We live in Sacramento where it is 100 + on many summer days.) It is pretty tough to find a trailer with a low enough dry weight to met this criteria for a maximum tow weight. If you start at a dry weight of about 900 lbs, like some of the teardrops, the Meercat, or perhaps a light Compact Jr. you might make it if you are very careful packing your added gear. Really, they are just not enough car to be towing most trailers. We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.
Dbybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
We have the 2.5 engine in a 2011 Outback and have been researching towing. We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.
Did you say you owned a Mini Cooper... Hummmmmm.....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mini+...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
We have a 2003 outback with the 2.5l 5 speed and used it to tow our Ventura which was about 1800lbs. It was right at the max and it was not the weight but the frontal area that was the killer. Bought a an older F150 to tow the Casita 17SD. The tongue weight is just much for the outback.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #9

Name: Joan
Trailer: currently shopping
Oregon
I have a 4 cylinder manual transmission 2009 subaru forester. I tow a teardrop with a loaded weight of 1600 pounds. I have no problem towing even over the Oregon passes. I get 22-25 MPG on the flat and drops to about 17 on the passes. I know several people who use either an outback or forester to tow their teardrops.

I am considering buying a fiberglass trailer in the future. When I do, I will definitely upgrade my tow vehicle. I would not be comfortable towing any of the trailers with my subaru except possibly the 13' without bathrooms. If I do buy a new trailer, it will definitely have to have a bathroom.
jfocallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Transmission

I probably would not have any qualms about towing a bit heavier trailer than the 1350 limit for hot weather if I had a manual transmission, vs. the CVT that I have now. I have checked around and could not find anyone, including dealer, that would install a supplemental cooler on the transmission. It would be a big ticket item if I fried that baby.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[ We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you're going to be a 3 car family
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
We have pretty much given up for now as we love the Subaru too much to trade it in, and I cannot talk my wife into giving up her Mini Cooper.
I felt the same way 'till I realized I wanted "Escaping Reality" more than I loved my Outback.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #13

Alberta

We presently tow a 2010 trillium Outback 13 ft. with absolutely no problems. I don't know what the hitch weight is but I have weighed it full and it was 1750 lbs. and the car and trailer were almost level so I didn't think the tongue was too heavy. We have travelled some high elevations during hot weather and never had any problems. I too have thought about getting a different tow vehicle like the Highlander or Pilot but we like our Subaru too much at the moment.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #14

Oregon
Does your trillium have a bathroom?
Old 12-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #15

Alberta
No, it doesn't have a bathroom. Front gaucho, rear dinette/bed. We do have a porta-potti though.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #16

Oregon
Thanks
Old 12-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As far as I know, you only live once. When you can no longer GO, will you regret hanging on to a tow vehicle or will you regret not GOING when you could?

Make memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #18

Alberta
That is so, so true! Got to have a good talk to the DW about that!
Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
We presently tow a 2010 trillium Outback 13 ft. with absolutely no problems. I don't know what the hitch weight is but I have weighed it full and it was 1750 lbs. and the car and trailer were almost level so I didn't think the tongue was too heavy. We have travelled some high elevations during hot weather and never had any problems. I too have thought about getting a different tow vehicle like the Highlander or Pilot but we like our Subaru too much at the moment.
What year is the Outback and what engine and transmission do you have in the vehicle?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As far as I know, you only live once. When you can no longer GO, will you regret hanging on to a tow vehicle or will you regret not GOING when you could?

Make memories!
At this point we go, go, go. We just do not go with a fiberglass egg. I over analyze everything anyway. Before retirement I was a practicing Architect so it is a curse.