Track Awning for Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
PVC and plastics in general take hard hits with UVs. I'd worry about making the investment and after a few years needing to replace the track all over again. I realize it's not that many $$, but I like as many one-and-done as I can get. An aluminum track (IMHO) would be better.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
You do make a good point Donna. I guess an aluminum one, could run a piece of the right size line through it and paint it white with a good exterior primer and paint so it would match a little closer and be less obvious.

I think this looks way cool...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marti...type=3&theater

deryk

Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Yeah Marti's has been mentioned by a number of vintage trailer folks. Here's another popular company: Vintage Awnings
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #18

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
Keep in mind that a couple coats of white paint will do wonders for UV control on PVC.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #19

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Send a message via Skype™ to 55goddess
A "no rail required" awning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlarrydac View Post
Thanks for your reply! my main concern is instalation.. the track can't extend into the curvature of the fiberglass shell, which limits it's length to about 7 feet... also, my trailer has the "Rat Fir" over the foil insulation on the inside.. any fasteners (pop rivits?) I don't want to protude thru that.. a bag awning would also work, with a screen house enclosure... (same instalation issues)
My Trillium had never had an awning when I got it. I did not want to drill holes in the fibreglass shell to install a track for a bag awning.
So I designed an awning using PVC pile that slides into a hem on both the rear edge (that sits on the roof up against the bump) and the front edge to give extra stability. It works great and sets up in 5 minutes or less. There are grommets in the four corners for the front poles and to tie the rear of the awning to the trailer. The front window guard can be up or down and it still works.
The PVC pipe is cut in 2 pieces that fit back together easily because pipe is designed to do that. My awning is 9 x 9.

Advantage of the is that the awning can be set up on either side of the trailer depending on the angle of the sun or the view:-)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_awning.jpg   IMG_2awning.jpg  

Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
That is an interesting idea Lorraine. With the way the ParkLiner roof is shaped, I think I can get away with useing a pole and bungee it to the tongue or bumper and if it rains, it wouldn't drip into the area the awning is covering.

Now I need to measure the roof for a custom old fashioned style awning!

deryk
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #21

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Send a message via Skype™ to 55goddess
Smile no-rail awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
That is an interesting idea Lorraine. With the way the ParkLiner roof is shaped, I think I can get away with useing a pole and bungee it to the tongue or bumper and if it rains, it wouldn't drip into the area the awning is covering.

Now I need to measure the roof for a custom old fashioned style awning!

deryk
I forgot to mention that I made two awnings. The one in the pic is great for sun but not waterproof. So I took a 9 X 11 white tarp, sewed hems for the PVC pipe and added a cute retro flounce like you see on my sun awning. Totally waterproof with a touch of class ... and very inexpensive to make.
Maybe I should make a couple of these to take to the February meet in Quartzsite.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Hers is an old post on installing a bag awning.
Shademaker 8 foot Awning Install 13 Scamp
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #23

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
55goddess and anyone else: My husband really wants to buy an awning for our 16' Scamp and being in Utah, some shade from the sun is always a good thing. However, I'm reluctant to start drilling holes in her because I don't know what I'm doing. I'd be really interested in some more details and photos if you have them. I know Norm and Ginny (honda03842) have one and some good instructions but I'm always looking for more tips. No hurry -- it's freezing here for a couple more months and I don't want to go out until everything defrosts!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #24

New Jersey
Registry
Im in agreement about drilling holes through my egg. I don't want to have to worry about dripping inside, so the idea of a pole passing through a sleeve instead of a boltrope makes sense...wont effect the aerodynamic shape and doesn't always need to be set up.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #25

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Agreed, Deryk. I like Norm's idea and plan to shop around Seattle Fabric in the near future.

Tags
awning, scamp