Tracking down smells - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2020, 09:09 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
One more consideration is that the RV antifreeze smell disappears completely when it is flushed. When the camper is winterized, you will probably not be camping in it. We have done it, but only one night while on the way from VT to FL, in March. The second night we were far enough south to drain it at the campground, and all was good.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 PM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb945 View Post
i believe i have zeroed in on the offending area in my own camper. when i opened the compartment where the fresh water tank is, the inside was damp and had a very strong odor the carpet in that area was very damp, as well. i think it was condensation that formed on and around the water tank that is the culprit--i'm certainly hoping that the tank itself isn't leaking. still not sure what is causing that smell, though. it just doesn't smell like mildew or mold. a mystery!!
Antifreeze does indeed smell sweet because it is. But don't taste it to find out.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #23

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
It's possible to winterize by blowing the water out of the lines with compressed air. Even then folks usually use the antifreeze for the drain traps, tank valves, etc. You could use Vodka instead of antifreeze if it really bothers you. I think it would have to be below zero for Vodka to freeze.
Shelby There is no lid on that bottle of Vodka once you put it into the drain system. Alcohol is a volatile organic compound it evaporates into the air much faster antifreeze. Not the right choice as an antifreeze subsitute. But an enjoyable adult beverage when taken right out of the freezer
Old 03-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #24

Name: Therisa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Vermont
Thanks, Paul. I definitely saw the pink stuff in the toilet, a lot of it, so that might have been the reason. I am going to go out and buy a bottle to verify that it was the source of the bad smell. We do expect to travel with the winterized trailer a lot - Detroit is the most southerly point we’ve driven to in years. Vermont is our main US home. I’ve used a composting toilet in my studio, and it doesn’t make a nasty smell, so that might be the way to go with the camper to avoid the antifreeze in the toilet. The antifreeze in the water lines would just stay contained therein.
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:40 PM   #25

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb945 View Post
i believe i have zeroed in on the offending area in my own camper. when i opened the compartment where the fresh water tank is, the inside was damp and had a very strong odor the carpet in that area was very damp, as well. i think it was condensation that formed on and around the water tank that is the culprit--i'm certainly hoping that the tank itself isn't leaking. still not sure what is causing that smell, though. it just doesn't smell like mildew or mold. a mystery!!
It could just be a loose or split water line or fitting that goes into the tank rather than the tank itself. That would be a minor issue to resolve. But even tanks can be mended.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:58 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you have a shower, it too will have a p-trap which should be filled with antifreeze when winterized. Same with the sinks.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 PM   #27

Vermont
Oh, no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you have a shower, it too will have a p-trap which should be filled with antifreeze when winterized. Same with the sinks.
OMG! ok, as soon as I get the RV antifreeze, I will take and test in in the p-trap of the basement shower at our house to see if I find the smell tolerable. Thank you very much for posting that.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Smell your ice cream too. The same solution is used to keep ice cream from freezing too solid. It's also used in many other food products.
Have a read: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/foods-d...pylene-glycol/
Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #29

Vermont
Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Smell your ice cream too. The same solution is used to keep ice cream from freezing too solid. It's also used in many other food products.
Have a read: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/foods-d...pylene-glycol/
This is very helpful. I note that there is also fragrance in RV antifreeze. Apparently, one can also buy pure propylene glycol as the food manufacturers do. I will also check if I am affected by that. (PS most fragranced products affect me negatively.) Your suggestion helped point me in a good direction. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #30

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I'M RIGHT HERE!!
oh,, wait a minute I'm S mail es your looking for smells, must be a different guy lol

Couldn't help it, as a kid I got teased all the time about my name, guess I
survived it.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #31

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
D Red-the HepVo valve is an alternative to the P trap, I don't think they need to be winterized. I think they can be retrofitted wherever you have access to the P trap.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #32

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I'M RIGHT HERE!!
oh,, wait a minute I'm S mail es your looking for smells, must be a different guy lol

Couldn't help it, as a kid I got teased all the time about my name, guess I
survived it.
Fred
Right, in Detroit « smells » and « smailes » are pronounced the same. I’ve lost my accent though, and the sounds are distinct. Nice to meet you, Mr. Smailes.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #33

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
D Red-the HepVo valve is an alternative to the P trap, I don't think they need to be winterized. I think they can be retrofitted wherever you have access to the P trap.
Wow, this is awesome! Thanks so much! looks like one of these for the sink a d one for the shower will be a big help. And the price is entirely reasonable.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #34

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
This thread being reborn makes me realize I never reported back. The smell did eventually go away. It was gradual, so gradual it had been gone for months before it dawned on me that it was gone.

I still don't know if it was the antifreeze, but it had really infused everything in the trailer. I washed the upholstery two or three times and could still smell it in there a little. I've since winterized the trailer with antifreeze every winter, and never had that problem again, so maybe the previous owner actually used some kind of air freshener in there or something.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #35

Vermont
Thanks, Zach0, for giving the update!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just remember, personally, I'd LOT rather deal with a smell that will "wash" away, than have to start dealing with RV plumbing! (Including drain valves, pumps, traps etc!!...not to mention those lines with the special shrink fittings!)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
...oh,, wait a minute I'm S mail es your looking for smells, must be a different guy lol
There are parts of the US where you could not tell a difference in the pronunciation, either...

Back to our regular programming...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:58 PM   #38

Name: Andy
Trailer: In the market
California
We just got a used 2016 13’ Scamp and had a weird smell as well. We washed the cushions and curtains and cleaned every surface but it was still there. We tracked the smell down to under the passenger bench where the water tank is. The tank itself doesn’t have any leaks but I just noticed the inlet hose to fill the tank may. I could feel water around the internal hose line and down the rat fur around it after filling the tank yesterday. I aired it out and did a few rounds of vinegar spray and the smell is finally faded. It so hard to reach there to check/tighten the hose clamps. I need to look deeper for mold but want to pass along to check out for leaks on that hose. Thanks for the info on this thread!
TheFrostMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:04 AM   #39

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
It's a long shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrostMan View Post
We just got a used 2016 13’ Scamp and had a weird smell as well. We washed the cushions and curtains and cleaned every surface but it was still there. We tracked the smell down to under the passenger bench where the water tank is. The tank itself doesn’t have any leaks but I just noticed the inlet hose to fill the tank may. I could feel water around the internal hose line and down the rat fur around it after filling the tank yesterday. I aired it out and did a few rounds of vinegar spray and the smell is finally faded. It so hard to reach there to check/tighten the hose clamps. I need to look deeper for mold but want to pass along to check out for leaks on that hose. Thanks for the info on this thread!
... that this could happen twice, but my 2017 had the vent line clamp over tightened and it broke the barb.
Attached Thumbnails
water fill leak.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote