Trailer Anti-Theft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Since I cannot store my trailer at home, I worry about someone stealing it from the Storage Yard and me not knowing about it until the next time I go out there. It is a very secure lot with a "coded" in & out gate, surveillance cameras, and all that rot. However, there is a lot of in & out traffic there and it would be so simple to hook up a small trailer and be gone. Not that many people really know what belongs to whom.

So, I looked into a "Lojac" type of system but that is way expensive. At least 600 to 700 $ USD. That would allow me to track it once I discovered it was stolen. My question is: does anyone know of just a simple "bug" that one could implant in the trailer somewhere and then it could be tracked if needed.

Call me paranoid but it's getting worse out there and I want to cover my bases the best I can. I just ordered one of those trailer ball locks and it should be here any day. It fits up into the tongue ball socket and I would think it should help a lot.

Thanks,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Keith, I have one of the Hitch locks, and use it when ever where ever the egg is not hooked to the truck. Even in our Barn I have the lock on. As for lojack, I have it on my new truck and I suppose feel better about it if and when it's needed to recover my truck. Hadn't thought about it for the Casita cause it's locked up in the barn.

I am wondering if you could buy one of those lojack type/ recovery type products that are made for your lost Pet? I think they sell a GPS type collar for pets at Pets smart, Pet co etc, just as they have them for your kids. I would think that it would be much less expensive than Lojack. I don't know what it would entail as far as keeping the gps/unit charged? I would assume that if its made for a pet it wouldn't require a battery charge every few days. I suppose you would have to look into that. But you could hide it somewhere in the egg, I know that the lojack on my truck is hidden, and they say not to carry any identifying lojack stuff, cause if a theif were to find it, then they would search for the GPS and throw it out. Interesting thought. Let us know what you come up with.

As far as the hitch lock, I bought mine down off Colfax at that hitch place? Sorry can't think of the name, but it's been a go to hitch place in Denver forever. They carry them in stock. I think I paid $50-$60 for it. I put it on in every campground, I don't care what people think, the trailer comes off the truck and the hitch lock goes on.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Keith, I have one of the Hitch locks, and use it when ever where ever the egg is not hooked to the truck. Even in our Barn I have the lock on. As for lojack, I have it on my new truck and I suppose feel better about it if and when it's needed to recover my truck. Hadn't thought about it for the Casita cause it's locked up in the barn.

I am wondering if you could buy one of those lojack type/ recovery type products that are made for your lost Pet? I think they sell a GPS type collar for pets at Pets smart, Pet co etc, just as they have them for your kids. I would think that it would be much less expensive than Lojack. I don't know what it would entail as far as keeping the gps/unit charged? I would assume that if its made for a pet it wouldn't require a battery charge every few days. I suppose you would have to look into that. But you could hide it somewhere in the egg, I know that the lojack on my truck is hidden, and they say not to carry any identifying lojack stuff, cause if a theif were to find it, then they would search for the GPS and throw it out. Interesting thought. Let us know what you come up with.

As far as the hitch lock, I bought mine down off Colfax at that hitch place? Sorry can't think of the name, but it's been a go to hitch place in Denver forever. They carry them in stock. I think I paid $50-$60 for it. I put it on in every campground, I don't care what people think, the trailer comes off the truck and the hitch lock goes on.
Thanks Robin,

I ordered my hitch lock off the internet and with shipping it was less than $50. I wanted to get one without running around town so that's the way I went. I'm sure I'll do what you do and use it ALL the time the Trailer is unhitched. Good idea on the pet thing. I'll look into it. Be sure I'll post anything interesting I find.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Having been in police work most of my life and my husband for 28 years, I don't advocate "LoJack" brand for anyone. Mostly because some police agencies only have 1 trained officer who operates the 1 vehicle with the tracking capabilities. If that officer is off, or that vehicle is down, LoJack is useless. Some smaller agencies in my area don't even have the locating equipment. I know of 3 local Sheriff's agencies that do not. Where I worked in Florida, a 300 officer department, we had only 1 officer trained, and 1 cruiser equiped.

OnStar on the other hand (GM brands) offer the service for their vehicoles, and have the GPS capabilities to notifiy police agencies via dispatch center on the where abouts of an alleged stolen vehicle - but then again, you have to have the equipment in your GM vehicle and (after 1 year) pay for the service monthly.

IN theory, the idea sounds good - but I don't believe there is a company yet who has developed the technology to locate stolen RVs.

I'm opting for one of these: http://store.uhaul.com/Hitch_Towing_Securi...2__Coupler_Lock and hope it'll work on my 'universal' trailer hitch along with insurance coverage and a locked storage facility. After all that, if someone wants my trailer that bad, it would be stripped for parts long before any GPS service and police agency finds it -

Just my 20cents worth...
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
This has been discussed a few times and some of the suggestions are:
1. use a hitch lock
2. remove the wheels and keep the trailer on blocks or jack stands
3. chain the trailer to a secure fixture (metal post in concrete)
4. use a wheel boot (or two)

All in all, a thief with time and perseverance will be able to steal almost anything. Most, however, are discouraged by anything that makes the theft noticeable or time consuming.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Oh geeeeee Carolyn, now I find out Lojack isn't good....................... Great! LOL...................... I did call the local police before I had it installed and they do have the unit. Of course I would want/need it for every where I go, but my main concern was that my Dh has Alzheimer's and they have a tendicy to wander and take off in a car (he hasn't driven in over a year) so thought this may be a helpful thing when and if he gets the driving bug. Guess we will see.

I agree if a thief wants something, No lock is going to detour them for long. My Dh has always said, Locks are for good people. I just think an ounce of prevention is worth a few bucks. Long gone are the days when my parents left the house unlocked while on vacation, and the keys on the floor board of the truck, caddie, and my Moms vette. And the thing is, anyone that knew them knew that the house was unlocked and the keys where in the cars. Times have changed!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Use a hitch lock and alarm system.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...;hl=tilt+sensor
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
What I use on my construction trailers is a hitch lock and a cable through the wheels. Works good on a travel trailer, though I have never used a single axle though I imagine you could either go under and run the cable through each wheel, or just lock it to something else nearby.

DO but a good quality hitch lock and cable though, a worthy expense.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Simple solution:

Get a hitch lock as Robin and others have said and use it every time.

Take your wheel lugs with you.

If someone tries to tow the trailer the wheels will fall off before they go more than a few feet. Of course everyone, even thieves, check the wheel lugs before starting to tow. Right?
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01091__Small_.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	19830

Would take you a LONG time to ge this off
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Quote:
Attachment 19830

Would take you a LONG time to ge this off

hey chris where do you get that? I think that might be my solution along with the hitch lock.

Alexandra
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
hey chris where do you get that? I think that might be my solution along with the hitch lock.

Alexandra
There's a bunch of different, but similar ones.. just depends on how much you wish to spend:
Tire Lock
Universal Boot
Rhino Boot
Web Wheel Boot Spec
Dania Boot
Prohoists Wheel Lock
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Master-Lock-Ma...er-Coupler-Lock

I use this and it works very well. I just can't vision myself fooling with those wheel locks and cables when you need to break camp and wallowing in the mud after 2 days of rain.

I guess if your a real paronoid you could cut the ball receiver right of the trailer, weld a 2" ID receiver in its place, weld a new ball receiver onto a 2# OD square tube that slides into the tube just welded to the trailer same as your stinger slides into the receiver on your TV put a pin through it then when you unhook you just take the new rig throw it in the TV and walla nobody will fool with it. I'm waiting for a pattern on it, ha
Old 05-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have two of these

http://www.amazon.com/Winner-International...r/dp/B000FN5O1C

They look goofy,install goofy and start some goofy conversations.
I don't really worry any more though that any casual attempt to snag the trailer will work.

I also lock the hitch and coupler and have a deadbolt on the door.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Heres another idea that would only work AFTER the trailer has been 'borrowed' by someone unauthorized to use it. IF its going to be stored for a lengthy period, why not remove the license plate?? If the trailer IS taken by someone who wants it more than you do, at least theres a good chance that any law enforcement officer might pull this 'offender' over for inspection and, ......???
.....hhmmm No plates/no regi????
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
If the trailer IS taken by someone who wants it more than you do, at least theres a good chance that any law enforcement officer might pull this 'offender' over for inspection and, ......???
.....hhmmm No plates/no regi????
Well, I can tell you firsthand that won't work. My plate fell off just as we were leaving the state last summer. We travelled 9,000 miles, into Canada and back out again, even got pulled over in Texas (for speed zone....er...issue) and no one ever asked for my trailer registration. All the Texas officer wanted to know was, "Did you go to all those places THIS trip?" referring to the U.S. sticker map on the back of the trailer....just above where the plate should have been.

My dad has a Masterlock Coupler lock which he uses for the tongue, PLUS he uses a VERY heavy chain which he wraps around the wheel and locks to the tie-down on his trailer. Given a chance, he also locks the trailer to a fixed object with another chain and lock. It seems like overkill to me. On the other hand, he still has his trailer.

My trailer coupler (like this one) either had a pre-drilled hole or the previous owner drilled a hole which allows for use of a standard hasp lock. I initially used the lock as insurance that the coupler would not bounce open, but found that I felt more secure about the trailer when we left it in camp if I locked the coupler closed. You could probably get one like this, too.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Donna,

How do you know so much?

But you did miss "The Club":

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBro...ID:100000430943

LOL

One could just drill a hole into the ball receiver chamber and put in a shielded hasp padlock:

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/style_se...b_style_id=C473

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna,

How do you know so much?
Google

Yep, missed at LEAST that one Roger... thanks for providing the link!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Hello all!!

Just wanted to update this thread on a lock I purchased today for my trailer.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

We elected to keep our trailer at a private campground about 1 1/2 hours from our home and while it's a small friendly place, I didn't feel comfortable leaving it there without just 'something' to slow someone down from taking it.

Wal-mart also sells this for about $24.97 I think we paid for it today. It works PERFECT on our trailer. Atleast someone might think twice about sitting there fiddling with it.

Just a thought for those looking for something inexpensive and a possible theft deterrent.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
hey all, how about this one? i think it's the cheapest wheel lock out there:

Brinks Wheel Lock at Amazon

It goes through the wheel spokes and around the leaf springs.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote