trailer axle temps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
I just greased my Trillium axles and took it out for a test drive. After about 5-7 miles at about 70 mph. I checked my axle temp with an infared temperature checker and had 68F and 74F on the trailer and just for grinns I checked my Jeep Liberty axles they averaged about 90F. After another 5 or so miles I rechecked and no change.What is the acceptable axle temp? Today the ambient temp is about 55F How much difference between the two axles would be acceptable? What is the max temp I shoud ever see?

Thaks
Departing for FL keys on 4-13 longest trip yet with Trillium

Don
D Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
It looks like you are going to be telling us what the axle temperatures should be. I don't know anyone with an infrared thermometer..
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's an old discussion on temperatures, maybe there's something here to answer you question:
Tire Temperature - Infared Thermometers

Think it also speaks to bearing temps..

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
For years I have checked the heat with the back of my hand to see if we have a hot hub and last year I bought a checker.

Harbor Freight has them on sale from time to time for around $35.

Cen-Tech non contact laser thermometer, item 91778

I do not know what the max temp should be however if I find a hub that is way hotter than the others, I know something is wrong.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I would think that temperature should be used as an indication that mx attention is needed. When repacking bearings the goal on re-assembly is to get the bearings properly seated on the races and the axel nut just short of being tight. This evidenced by the wheel turning freely with no wobble. When the wheel is stationary (off the ground) you may just be able to tell that you are able to wobble the wheel by hand.

After the satisfactory install, I don't know of recommended hub temperatures. I think I'd start to get conderned if hub (or wheel for that manner) if temperatures start to go 30 degrees above ambient, or 20 degress hotter than the other side.

I determined that my TT tires were underinflated for the load (35 PSI) when their sidewall temp was 40 degrees above ambient, and 20 degress hotter than TV sidewalls. Airing TT tires up to max (50 psi) lowered their sidewall temp to the range of the TV temps.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The temperature of the hubs will vary widely with ambient and road temps. The actual temperature isn't as important as that bearings on the same axle should be running at the same temps. I wouldn't try to compare bearing temps on different axles (unless you're running tandem axles on a trailer, then they should be similar). Bearing temps on various axles can vary by lubrication type, amount of braking, etc. etc. etc.

When one bearing on an axle is hotter than the other, though, that indicates a friction problem.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
The temperature of the hubs will vary widely with ambient and road temps. The actual temperature isn't as important as that bearings on the same axle should be running at the same temps. I wouldn't try to compare bearing temps on different axles (unless you're running tandem axles on a trailer, then they should be similar). Bearing temps on various axles can vary by lubrication type, amount of braking, etc. etc. etc.

When one bearing on an axle is hotter than the other, though, that indicates a friction problem.

Roger
I did notice on our Scamp that the rims get quite hot due to breaking in traffic. This is independent of the bearing temp and not an indication of bearing failure. Break failure in drum brakes used to be common coming down Donner pass Calif in the days of drum brakes on front wheels... they would get so hot that they would smoke. I just recently had the bearings cleaned and repacked and when I returned home the rims were hot. Driving on the interstate without much braking the wheels are about the same temp as the tires.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
When one bearing on an axle is hotter than the other, though, that indicates a friction problem
In my experience I have found that the hub and tire on the side of the trailer facing the sun may be noticably warmer to the touch than the one on the shady side.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
In my experience I have found that the hub and tire on the side of the trailer facing the sun may be noticeably warmer to the touch than the one on the shady side.
I found this to be true as well. In the summer driving in Arizona when the temperature is 100 degrees, the sun side bearings are remarkably hotter. You would not think this would not make much of a difference.

In the winter on the same road when the temperature was 65 degrees, the hub on the sun side was almost cold to touch. I was amazed.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I have found, using my IRT to shoot both hub and tire tread surface temps on all wheels (TV and TT) whenever I stop, that over time I have built up an "experience data base" of expected temps under various conditions -- It's all basically relative, rather than subjective, and what I am really looking for is that all the temps are roughly even with each other -- If one is spiked up, further investigation is warranted.

Sun, hot roads, wet roads, speeds, braking actions, etc., will all affect the readings.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle