trailer brake controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
trailer brake controller

I purchased a new truck that unfortunately did not come with the factory in dash brake controller and I was informed yesterday by the dealer that they can not install one (necessary wiring to computer is missing) I have been looking at tekonsha brake controllers but not real sure about the differences between the models (prodigy P2, P3 etc. ) I want to get a good controller cause brakes are important but I don't want to buy a bunch of features I don't need or will never use . I have the Draw Tite timed controller off my old truck but was never really happy with its performance. Any suggestions?

Thanks Steve Dunham
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Hi Steve,
I installed a Prodigy -- don't recall which model -- on my Toyota Tacoma. I ordered the truck with the towing package so the connector was already in place under the dash. The Prodigy works just fine. It's a set it and forget it thing in my case.

If you want to install it yourself just google something like "install brake controller on (year and model of truck)" and you may get answers on the internet. Otherwise, most trailer dealerships or brake shops should be able to install it for you.

DJ
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

NW Wisconsin
Installing brake controller

Thanks Dan
I've been under the dash and there is a 4 pin connector from the factory for installing the brake controller . E-trailer sells the harness that goes from my truck's connector to the brake controller so just plug and play. The factory in dash brake controller is tied to the truck's computer and the brake controller info is displayed on the dash (you need 7 wires plus a computer reprogram at a cost of about $500.00 (dealer) to make it work ) and according to the RAM truck forum the controller is an older style tekonsha. I'm sure that someone like Floyd would know how to avoid the dealer and do it yourself but the dealer says if I cut into my wiring harness my warranty on the electrical and computer is kaput

Thanks Steve Dunham
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
For a 16ft Scamp with electric brakes I'd get the Prodigy P2. Its a straight forward easy to use controller. The P3 is far more advanced and has the ability to work with both electric and hydraulic brakes but if I was only towing 1 trailer I wouldn't spend the extra money.

I wonder if the "older style Tekonsha" is just a prodigy, original not the P2. I have a Prodigy that I used with my Jeep and Scamp 13 and it worked great. I wouldn't think you'd have to cut into your harness at all. I suspect there is a different originating harness that results in the 7 pin necessary for complete integration. The $500 flash is a joke, it's just opening up software. Get the E-Trailer harness and a Prodigy P2.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm like John... I have the P2 and have used it for eleven years. Works as advertised stopping my 16' Scamp. Easy Peasy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Save your money. The P2 has worked well for me for 5 years as well. Easy to use and it works well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
The P2 is very nice, save your money.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #8

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
We also have a P2 and it definitely does the job. The Toyota dealer couldn't (wouldn't) install it on our Highlander -with tow package-but suggested we take it to the uhaul dealer next door. They told me they install several brake controllers every week and did a good job for less than $75. He would have set me up with a brake controller if we hadn't already had the P2.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My 2009 Ram came prewired and I'm sure your RAM does also, it's their big selling point, towing. If you have a towing harness/hitch on rear, you have the brake controller hookup, no computer, nothing on dash, no wire cutting, no warranty issues. Try another dealer, as in you moved to a new location and need some assistance with your new truck scenario.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Hey Steve, go the bottom of the page in link below. There's a picture and description of where the brake controller connection is. The cable sold by eTrailer and others simply plugs in at that location. I had to stand on my head to find it in 2005 Dakota, but it's there.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Proportional Brake Controller with Dodge Adapter Tekonsha Brake Controller with Wiring 90885-3020P
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #11

NW Wisconsin
brake connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Hey Steve, go the bottom of the page in link below. There's a picture and description of where the brake controller connection is. The cable sold by eTrailer and others simply plugs in at that location. I had to stand on my head to find it in 2005 Dakota, but it's there.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Proportional Brake Controller with Dodge Adapter Tekonsha Brake Controller with Wiring 90885-3020P
There is a brake controller connection under the dash for an aftermarket brake controller such as a prodigy p2 . I found the connector , had it in my hot little hand ,checked the wire colors with factory wiring diagram "IT WILL WORK", The factory controller fits in the dash instead of hanging below the dash and getting kicked like my old controller. Data from the factory controller is displayed on the in dash computer screen for monitoring the brakes. The factory brake controller cost less than a P2 , does more things ,looks better in a new truck and is worth more at resale but I do Not have the cable connection to the computer to make the factory one work
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Byron
As a side note The GM trucks (CHEVY GMC) no longer come with any brake controller harness or plug in as standard equipment . When you buy a new GM truck you must purchase the factory brake controller to get the modular plug ins .If you do NOT buy the factory controller you are backed to hard wiring like the good old days. Dodge puts in the one for the after market controller but not necessarily the second one for connecting to on board computer
Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #13

Steve and I have already discussed some of this but for the good of the order...

The RAM integrated Brake controller interfaces with the multi-function display. There are settings that can only be accessed from that display so it must be completely connected to function properly. He can add the after-market but not the OEM without creating possible warranty issues. It's a real kick in the teeth and an unfortunate situation to be in. I too prefer OEM/dealer installed options when available because they will be covered under the warranty and quite frankly, typically look better than bolting something on. My advice is still get the P2, save some money and live with it but I understand the frustration and annoyance, especially on something "NEW".

-John
Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
On the other hand, the after market goes with you, not the truck. I'm on truck number two with my prodigy. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #15

NW Wisconsin
Prodigy p2

I listened to your advice !! Even though I would have preferred to have the factory in dash brake controller, in the words of the immortal Mick Jagger "You can't always get what you want but you get what you need"
I purchased a Tekonsha prodigy p2 model# 90885 with factory harness to fit my vehicle , I also learned that you can purchase the factory bezel for the in dash brake controller from Mopar at about $7.00 and the prodigy p2 will fit the bezel. I will have the factory in dash look just not the computer read out on my trucks display screen, Thank you for all your help It is a real asset to be able to go to this website and get honest answers and not just opinion.

Thanks Steve Dunham
Old 01-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #16

No problem. It's a good controller and you came up with a good work around. Enjoy!

-John
Old 01-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It's always nice to hear that we've helped people make a decision. I hope you enjoy your trailer as much as we've enjoyed ours.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
In retrospect, I should've gotten the P2. I got the P3 because it wasn't very much (I know, subjective) more money.
It's more than I need, but I live by the "better to have it and not need it" rule. Besides, as already stated, it can go with me if I change TV's.

Glad you got it worked out Steve!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote