Trailer Brake Weak on One Side of Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Hello again. I finally got a brake controller hooked up to run the brakes on my 76 boler. I have a tekonsha p3 controller. When i went to set up the controller it said to manually apply the trailer brakes to lock up in order to set the voltage correctly. I did this and found only one of my brakes would lock up. I jacked up the trailer and had my girlfriend manually engage the trailer brakes and they come on strong for approx. 1 second and then fade to almost off after that. This is on the weak side, the other side is strong. The week side makes that humming sound as though the brakes should be functioning. Is the magnet weak? I had the drums off a couple of months ago and everything looked ok, but the trailer sat for a while before i bought it. Thanks to those who can help.
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Have you check if there was any grease on the inner drum or magnet ? Also you could check the brake adjustment, usually they require a little adjustment after 3000 miles, may be this one is off ? For this there is a small opening covered by a small rubber on the inner side of the brake drum assembly near the bottom, and with a flat screwdriver you can turn an adjustment wheel, spin your wheel by hand and adjust until you feel that the pads make a little friction on the drum.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler
I already adjusted the brakes and i had them apart to grease my bearings a few months back and i was careful not to get grease on the brakes, and i used brake cleaner on the drums on reassembly. Can anyone offer where i should look. I'll take a look inside the brakes/hub to see if grease somehow leaked in there. It's weird though because the brakes come on hard like there supposed too, and then the lose power on the one side while the other brake side works fine.
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Losing power sounds like a bad electrical connection.

Bill K

Quote:
I already adjusted the brakes and i had them apart to grease my bearings a few months back and i was careful not to get grease on the brakes, and i used brake cleaner on the drums on reassembly. Can anyone offer where i should look. I'll take a look inside the brakes/hub to see if grease somehow leaked in there. It's weird though because the brakes come on hard like there supposed too, and then the lose power on the one side while the other brake side works fine.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler