Trailer Brakes And Sway Bar - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
In California, Idaho and New Hampshire require brakes on 1500 pound trailers. In North Carolina the limit is 1000 pounds. Some provinces have laws that would seem to require trailer brakes on trailers as small as your 13' Scamp.
Here is the link to state and provincial laws: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/laws.htm
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
North Dakota and Kansas both require brakes as auxiliary equipment....... also on Craig`s link post.....Suppose if you`re from out of state and passing thru you may be okay......but if you have an accident or get checked by a snarly trooper...well, draw your own conclusion.... ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Trailer brakes are one of those dem dar no-brainers.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Dave, I have a 2002 13 ft. Scamp with brakes. Tow vehicle is a Honda CR-V, 4 cylinder, with the Honda factory hitch. I recommend brakes on the trailer, especially if you do any towing in mountains. Now is the time to change your order!!
Garret Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 1998 13 ft Scamp
Brakes or no brakes? I won't comment. There are many factors to consider for any given scenario. What I do think is interesting though, is how many seemingly expert sources of information you can find on so many subjects, and especially on the internet. I found another website showing info that does not agree well with the other one previously mentioned here.
http://www.rockettrailers.com/TrailerBrakeLaws.htm
I don't know who is right or wrong, I guess the only way to know for sure would be to check out each state yourself.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Most jurisdictions seem to accept vehicles from other places, as long as they meet the standards of their home jurisdiction. My approach is to consider the handy collected lists as guides only to general trends, and to check the rules in my province (only) from an authoritative source. In the last few years, laws which previously required a library visit and much reading are now available in searchable websites.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to davefryg
I went to the Roadmaster inc sight , lots of information there, spells it out , . across the
usa @ canada ,every state /province is different, goes from mantatory on all trailers in
some states to not required in others.
Taking all the advice here i have told scamp to add the brakes ,at $275 thats cheap, as to
adding them later,and knowing it was done right . Should any states /provinces in the
future change there regs to mandatory on all trailers it will save the head ache of adding them.----- dave
davefryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to davefryg
HI Garret H You say you are using a CR-V 4 cylinder for your tow vehicle and in the mountains. Is that enough power ?? The reason i ask is i am looking for a tow vehicle and with gas prices now ,woud like something thats cheaper on gas and i can use for every day driving ,then not need 2 vehicles and more insurance----dave
davefryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I believe that the link posted by Sonny is 6 years old and not up to date....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #30

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Dave, Element and CRV are pretty much the same vehicle. Engine, Tranny.. all the power stuff.

I have towed with my Element for years for the same reason you want. Daily driver, economical.

You will want brakes tho, trust me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes