Trailer Can't Back Up Steep Driveway - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

Name: Adra
Trailer: In the market
CA
Trailer Can't Back Up Steep Driveway

Hi everyone,

We own a 13ft Armadillo and just moved into a new house with a driveway. The driveway goes over a sidewalk, which steepens the angle just enough that the part of the trailer near the ball scrapes and we can't go any further. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any ideas on ways we can work around this?

Thanks so much!

- Adra

Adra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I would try a couple of short 2x6 boards under the rear wheels of the tow vehicle just before the trailer bottoms out. Raising the rear of the tow will raise the tongue of the trailer and hopefully give you the clearence you need. Of course the permanant solution is to regrade the driveway.

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If the driveway is wide enough, sometimes entering at an angle helps.

Another permanent solution, less costly than regrading the driveway, is raising the suspension on the trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:52 AM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
You could build a couple of ramps to put at the bottom of the driveway to make the grade less steep.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21 'on order'
Tennessee
steep

WE tried to back our "hi-lift" Casita 17 into my wife's brother's driveway in the summer..to show him how he could put his trailer to bed if/when HE bought one.
WE could not get it in..the drive is fairly steep up and the road is 'crowned' for runoff..the hitch hit the drive before we could get in..no way was I gonna keep pushing it. Good thing we did try tho..it showed him how hard it might be if he had his own trailer. I suggested he might try adding a 8' piece of 2x12 board at the drive mouth, and maybe a 8' piece 2x6 piece on top of that to raise the rear wheels up onto it a bit etc, but he decided it was gonna be too much trouble after all...and he was gonna hafta build a concrete parking pad beside his garage anyways...so I guess they will store it off site..IF they buy.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Is there room enough at the top to pull the trailer up then turn it around?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
You might try adding a roller under the hitch, but I'm not sure if that's where it's hitting.

If it's the tongue jack, perhaps changing to a swing-away jack or removable jack might help? (See Jack-E-Up photo)

On our driveway, I had a steep gutter at the end that I smoothed out by forming a concrete ramp to ease the transition.
Attached Thumbnails
roller.JPG   Jackeup.JPG  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #8

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
steep driveway

I have a steep driveway that's impossible to back up from the street ( also on a hill). Even large trucks, delivery vans scrape bottom.

I discovered I could back it up if I entered my driveway on an angle, from the uphill part of the street. Works great. Biggest problem is the impatient traffice because my driveway is on a blind curve. I never try this after dark.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #9

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I have a car trailer with ramps....I have used the ramps on steep driveways to prevent bottoming out the trailer....works great. Someone above suggested 2x6's....would work as well. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:37 AM   #10

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
you might spend a few dollars and get a hitch that lifts the tongue up higher than what you would use when doing normal everyday towing. Just change to it for backing up the drive. It is a nuisance to have to change it out for the purpose but certainly less expensive than modifying the driveway. Your temporary nose lift device, figure out how many more inches of liftyou will need for clearance.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote