Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy The Dolly is too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I've had the same $40.00 Harbor Freight dolly for at least 10 years.
I just bought a Harbor Freight Trailer Dolly. But my Fiber Stream is higher up than most. The leaf Springs were mounted "spring over" and I added 2" to the height of the frame itself, making the trailer 7" taller than normal. It looks like I'd have to extend the dolly's ball about 6" higher for it to work.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I just bought a Harbor Freight Trailer Dolly. But my Fiber Stream is higher up than most. The leaf Springs were mounted "spring over" and I added 2" to the height of the frame itself, making the trailer 7" taller than normal. It looks like I'd have to extend the dolly's ball about 6" higher for it to work.

Bigger wheels?

Old 10-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #17

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I bought one at my neighbours garage sale. I was skeptical as to how well it would work on my rural gravel parking lot. Using the TV to park my boler 1700 was really a pain though so I decided to try it. My parking lot is relatively soft sand gravel that is uneven and sloping down hill from the trailers "spot". No brakes either. So the next time we came home I just drove into the yard like I was not towing a trailer and parked the truck in its spot nose in. Then my wife and I unhitched the trailer and slipped in the two wheel dolly. We pushed it backwards, uphill, and turned it around 180 degrees before easily pushing it backwards into its designated place. We could not believe how easy it was and that we did not do it sooner.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
I purchased a powered dolly for my Escape 19'

I have a hand push type (very heavy duty) 2 wheel manual dolly for moving my 16' aluminum boat around the side of my house out to the front for trips and it works well if I have some spotters and some help (my kids) but the Escape 19' warrants a better means of moving the trailer safety from one place to the other on my property. I recently purchased a motorize dolly from Power movers (Wix.com powermovers created by kayisthebest based on Consultinc )in California and have been practicing on my boat trailer. The unit is a little pricy but is very well designed and constructed and I don't have to pay for trailer storage so the return is fine. It it easy to use and runs on 120volts with a 100' extension cord and will use the trailer brakes if needed. This is a really safe way to move your trailer around.

Steve
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
It looks like I'd have to extend the dolly's ball about 6" higher for it to work.

Get a pipe that just fits over the ball, then either weld a pipe the size of the inside onto that or another ball. On the lower pipe drill a hole and weld a nut onto that so you can tighten a bolt onto the ball to hold it all in place.

The simple solution is to just lower the jack till your tongue sits on the ball.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
That may be unsafe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Get a pipe that just fits over the ball, then either weld a pipe the size of the inside onto that or another ball. On the lower pipe drill a hole and weld a nut onto that so you can tighten a bolt onto the ball to hold it all in place.

The simple solution is to just lower the jack till your tongue sits on the ball.
If you place the ball too high above the center-line of the wheels it may be unsafe to move the trailer with the dolly. It may have enough lever angle to force a tip-over. I would try to lower the trailer tongue instead. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #21

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
If you place the ball too high above the center-line of the wheels it may be unsafe to move the trailer with the dolly.
Good thought Steve!

I wonder if Frederick could fashion something out of wood and an old coupler that he could connect to the existing coupler and jack post temporarily just to move the trailer?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #22

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I like the get bigger tiers for the dolly idea!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #23

Ontario
Quote:
It looks like I'd have to extend the dolly's ball about 6" higher for it to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I like the get bigger tiers for the dolly idea!
6" higher requires a minimum of 12" bigger tire, you would not be able to turn much before hitting the A frame. The rims on my dolly are slightly different, the center hub is offset to one side of the tire when compared to the one at harbour freight.

I used to hit the A frame and / or battery box before I flipped the tires around moving them in about 3" on each side. Now I can better manouver my trailers in tight spots.