Trailer dolly? No dolly? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: Ramsey
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Trailer dolly? No dolly?

Evening,
As mentioned in previous posts I am transitioning from a pop-up to a fiberglass camper. My property doesn’t lend itself well for final maneuvering with the tow vehicle relative to my campers parking area. It was fairly easy to unhook a popup from the tow vehicle and with a little help reposition the popup as needed. My question is how maneuverable are the 13 -16 foot fiberglass campers when detached from their tow vehicles ? Having a heavier dry weight, can they manually be repositioned or do they require some sort of dolly assist? Clearly a paved, level surface lends itself better than say a gravel or grass surface. What experiences have you had assuming you require some tweaking when it comes to parking?
As always, any input is appreciated.
ramsey
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Since your tongue weight should be around 200 lb, or more, a dolly makes sense. I purchased mine for $40 used. I have seen them as low as $30. A good investment.

My drive way is sloped, so I wanted to be able to operate the trailer brakes when I moved the trailer.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rol-50954.html

It works great! The brakes actually take about a half a second to come on full, but they let go as soon as I hit the release button.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
When our Scamp13 isn't in use it "hides" under a magnolia well off to the side of the driveway. I use a dolly to move it around, even on a slight slope without any problem. Much easier to steer etc. than just using the nose wheel.

I like the idea of using the brake though. Right now I rely on some chocks to stop it in the correct position. The ability to use the brakes seems like a good idea. Sigh, another item for the to-do list

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The first time I camped in my UHaul 13' I parked it on a pad and drove to the ranger station to check in. When I came back, it had blown into the camp road. It has a steel wheel on the tongue jack. So, on pavement, they are pretty easy to move.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Wisconsin
manual dolly

Anyone have experience with the manual type dolly as opposed to a mechanical (some of these appear to be quite expensive) ....usually a set of double wheels, trailer ball and extended handle.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
My dolly is the same type as in the link to brakes on a dolly. Pretty basic, two wheels, trailer ball and a handle. Is that what you mean by a manual dolly? If so, they're cheap and work really well because having a handle to pull and push on is easier than bending down to push. The handle also makes steering much easier.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Ron, yes that is what i had in mind. The mechanically enhanced version that David referenced while very nice, is likely beyond my skill set when it comes to making.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I hope you're talking about a level pad or level grass or level gravel or just plain level if you're going to use one of these wheeled crowbars. Please don't overestimate what you can do singlehanded with a ton and half wheeled object; don't underestimate what it can do to you!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #9

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
Anyone have experience with the manual type dolly as opposed to a mechanical (some of these appear to be quite expensive) ....usually a set of double wheels, trailer ball and extended handle.
I've had the same $40.00 Harbor Freight dolly for at least 10 years.
The only maintenance has been to put inner tubes in the tires and an occassional shot of WD 40 on the spindles.
I use it to park three different trailers in my side yard which is covered in decomposed granite.
I can pull straigt into my side yard, unhook and manuver the trailer into it's spot. Save's a lot of time consuming backing.
I have a 13' egg now but did the same when I had my 16'camp.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Another vote for trailer dollys.Even the $40 version allows my wife and I to push our Trill around on an unlevel gravel driveway. No way could we do it w/ just the nose wheel.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I'm in the same position as Ramey -- currently have a pop-up which I maneuver manually into an awkward spot. I'm upgrading to a full-size (probably an Escape 19, but not certain yet) and I'd like to park it in the same spot. I'm either going to have to get a lot better at backing the trailer on the TV, or make do with some sort of dolly. When the time comes I'll be curious to see what I can do with a dolly, but with an Escape 19 (dry weight 2500lbs) I'm thinking I probably need something that can control the trailer brakes. Either that or a wife who's willing to throw some blocks and maybe herself under there if it starts to get away from me...
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have both a 4 wheel movers dolly and a Harbor Freight 2 wheel Trailer Dolly (BTW: They were on sale again last week).

I prefer the 4 wheel method when on concrete as it is easier to push on the trrailer itself than try to use the handle on the 2 wheel dolly where you have to lift, steer and push/pull from the same point. However, on less than very hard surfaces the two wheel version is a must.

And, BTW: adding the ability to engage the brakes when pushing the trailer around is an excellent idea. I use a hand held toggle switch that jumpers the coach battery to the brake pin on the trailer connector.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Bob, could you briefly elaborate on the four wheel dolly. Are you just removing the jack wheel and lowering the jack onto a plywood base mounted to the 4 wheel? anything special to keep jack from sliding on the plywood base?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I use a 3/4"plywood across the middle of a moving dolly. I haven't had any problems with the jack moving on the platform. The plywood is attached to the dolly with four 2" deck screws. If you think it may be a problem, try putting a 3/8" x 3" bolt through the middle of the platform from the bottom side, with a large washer on each side and a nut to hold it in place. Then lower your jack over the bolt

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy The Dolly is too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I've had the same $40.00 Harbor Freight dolly for at least 10 years.
I just bought a Harbor Freight Trailer Dolly. But my Fiber Stream is higher up than most. The leaf Springs were mounted "spring over" and I added 2" to the height of the frame itself, making the trailer 7" taller than normal. It looks like I'd have to extend the dolly's ball about 6" higher for it to work.

Any suggestions on how to do this?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I just bought a Harbor Freight Trailer Dolly. But my Fiber Stream is higher up than most. The leaf Springs were mounted "spring over" and I added 2" to the height of the frame itself, making the trailer 7" taller than normal. It looks like I'd have to extend the dolly's ball about 6" higher for it to work.

Bigger wheels?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #17

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I bought one at my neighbours garage sale. I was skeptical as to how well it would work on my rural gravel parking lot. Using the TV to park my boler 1700 was really a pain though so I decided to try it. My parking lot is relatively soft sand gravel that is uneven and sloping down hill from the trailers "spot". No brakes either. So the next time we came home I just drove into the yard like I was not towing a trailer and parked the truck in its spot nose in. Then my wife and I unhitched the trailer and slipped in the two wheel dolly. We pushed it backwards, uphill, and turned it around 180 degrees before easily pushing it backwards into its designated place. We could not believe how easy it was and that we did not do it sooner.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
I purchased a powered dolly for my Escape 19'

I have a hand push type (very heavy duty) 2 wheel manual dolly for moving my 16' aluminum boat around the side of my house out to the front for trips and it works well if I have some spotters and some help (my kids) but the Escape 19' warrants a better means of moving the trailer safety from one place to the other on my property. I recently purchased a motorize dolly from Power movers (Wix.com powermovers created by kayisthebest based on Consultinc )in California and have been practicing on my boat trailer. The unit is a little pricy but is very well designed and constructed and I don't have to pay for trailer storage so the return is fine. It it easy to use and runs on 120volts with a 100' extension cord and will use the trailer brakes if needed. This is a really safe way to move your trailer around.

Steve
Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
It looks like I'd have to extend the dolly's ball about 6" higher for it to work.

Get a pipe that just fits over the ball, then either weld a pipe the size of the inside onto that or another ball. On the lower pipe drill a hole and weld a nut onto that so you can tighten a bolt onto the ball to hold it all in place.

The simple solution is to just lower the jack till your tongue sits on the ball.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
That may be unsafe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Get a pipe that just fits over the ball, then either weld a pipe the size of the inside onto that or another ball. On the lower pipe drill a hole and weld a nut onto that so you can tighten a bolt onto the ball to hold it all in place.

The simple solution is to just lower the jack till your tongue sits on the ball.
If you place the ball too high above the center-line of the wheels it may be unsafe to move the trailer with the dolly. It may have enough lever angle to force a tip-over. I would try to lower the trailer tongue instead. Good luck!