Trailer hitch cover - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #21

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25RQ
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
How do you get grease on two pair of jeans greasing a hitch ball only takes one finger to spread the grease on the ball
It’s running into the hitch after it is greased that gets the grease on pants. I have an equalizer that extends quite a ways out from the tv. I’m always getting grease on something while loading.
SSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
[QUOTE=SSBN;760585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post

I guess I’m out of touch. What did Andersen do/not do?

Defaced rock wall in a at Arches by carving his initials in it.
https://www.idahostatejournal.com/me...53287525d.html
Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Casita 17’ Freedom Deluxe
Oklahoma
I lube the ball with a spritz of silicon spray before hitching up. Seems to work ok.
I always remove the hitch insert when not being used.
Wouldn’t want to bump it with my shin and risk bending my trailer hitch.��
mike in ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in ok View Post
I lube the ball with a spritz of silicon spray before hitching up. Seems to work ok.
I always remove the hitch insert when not being used.
Wouldn’t want to bump it with my shin and risk bending my trailer hitch.��
With apologies to Stephen Crane, I consider the grease on my clothes and dings on my knees my “Black Badge of Camping”. I’ve bent a few hitches myself but have always straightened them out by whacking the coupler later that night while circling the Escape in the opposite direction. A dark night is the enemy.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #25

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
just think of it....you made a "collectible" item.

Of course you can go on Ebay and get real collectable hitch ball cover made out of vinyl in the shape of fish, moose, deer, bears and I even saw on of President Obama on the web search. But I think I want a red colored vinyl one, that will be my car's clown nose
No one would get it unless you drove around in reverse.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
With apologies to Stephen Crane, I consider the grease on my clothes and dings on my knees my “Black Badge of Camping”. I’ve bent a few hitches myself but have always straightened them out by whacking the coupler later that night while circling the Escape in the opposite direction. A dark night is the enemy.
Iowa Dave
Best post I've read since the last Beaver Moon...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #27

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Smile Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Best post I've read since the last Beaver Moon...
I had to look up Beaver Moon. Apparently, according to NASA, the last Beaver Moon became officially full for observers on the East Coast of the U.S. yesterday (Nov. 12) at 8:34 a.m. EST (1334 GMT).

Pretty funny! Second best post I've read since the last Beaver Moon!

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 AM   #28

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking cover??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
So, I learned it is a good idea to grease one's trailer hitch ball. It only took me two pairs of messed up jeans to see the downside of this, so I went to work. about 2 inches of 2 inch ABS, a 2 inch PVC pipe cap a 2 inch pancake magnet, a small screw and nut and a bit of glue and I made something that seems perfect. Photo attached. My first one got stolen, takes about $6 to make another one. I hope the person who took mine contracts a painful disease.
WE just use a free Kroger grocery bag..easy peasey and free.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Ball? What ball? Grease? Where?
Attached Thumbnails
0-3.jpg   0-4.jpg  

Old 11-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #30

Name: Stanley
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
I grease the ball and keep a roll of aluminum foil in the truck to cover the ball when I remove the trailer. I do this regardless if I remove or leave the hitch on. The foil keeps the ball clean of dust or dirt and I don’t get grease on my pants. When I hitch up, I toss the foil.
Caterpillardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Greasing the ball is a good thing. Especially when using a WDH, where the forces on the ball are much higher than normal. Without it there can be a lot of galling and rapid wear.

When using an Anderson WDH, the ball turns with the trailer tongue, but the flexing over uneven surfaces concentrates the wear on a very small area of the ball. This leads to severe wear spots from an imperfect sperical shaped coupler socket.

Anderson used to say no grease was needed, but when myself and a number of us pointed out to them the wear and noise problems associated with the extreme load, they changed their tune and began recommending grease. Why do I keep getting the idea that Anderson is just winging it? The Anderson hitch also has a different force angle on the ball than a conventional WDH. The Anderson pushes forward on the ball for weight distributing, instead of the regular straight down load applied by systems with spring bars. This means the force is on the coupler's catch mechanism in the coupler, instead of at the top of the socket. I don't like this system and if used, one should use a Bulldog coupler because they are so much stronger with a forward load. Tremendous force on that little catch mechanism of conventional couplers is not a good plan.