Trailer Hitch Install needed - Vancouver BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi All,

Looks like we are going to Vancouver in the next 2 days to get a Subaru Forester. I need to make an appointment with a decent hitch/wiring company in Vancouver for the hitch install. Burnaby Hitch was recommended but they are closed Saturday. Anybody else have recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Booker
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Hi All,

Looks like we are going to Vancouver in the next 2 days to get a Subaru Forester. I need to make an appointment with a decent hitch/wiring company in Vancouver for the hitch install. Burnaby Hitch was recommended but they are closed Saturday. Anybody else have recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Booker
I can't recommend a hitch installer as I got the Subaru hitch for my Forester when I picked it up last year - part of a "free accessories" package. I had the dealer (Docksteader) do the install after looking at installing it myself.

Are you getting the 2009 one? I've had mine (2007) for a year and like it a lot. I've only hauled the trailer a wee bit, but seems fine to me (total beginner here). Did the off-road thing up to Little Huson Caves (down the Zeballos road, sans trailer of course) last year and was impressed at how well the vehicle managed it. (also my first soft-roader)

Dave
(first real trip coming next weekend... local, to Goldern Ears, close enough to not to stress out the driver)
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
Booker
E&H Hitch in Langley,had ours installed on a Saturday last year.

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #4

Hi David,

No, we are getting a 2005 Forester. I can't justify buying a new car now when (hopefully) new gas and diesel technologies will be coming soon. I have read that Subaru will have a 60mpg diesel boxer engine here in North America in 2010.

Did you get a brake controller installed by Docksteader? The subaru dealer in Victoria doesn't do brake controllers and also said he has hardly ever seen one on a trailer pulling subaru. Seems odd with the 1000lb recommended brake limit.

We are heading down to Montana this weekend, back through Alberta/BC. We were pulling with our 91 4x4 Toyota so pulling with the soob will be different. Mind you, a 1991 22r engine only produced 114hp and the 2005 forester's are doing 165hp =)

Thanks Brad, I will check them out this morning.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Quote:
Hi David,

No, we are getting a 2005 Forester. I can't justify buying a new car now when (hopefully) new gas and diesel technologies will be coming soon. I have read that Subaru will have a 60mpg diesel boxer engine here in North America in 2010.

Did you get a brake controller installed by Docksteader? The subaru dealer in Victoria doesn't do brake controllers and also said he has hardly ever seen one on a trailer pulling subaru. Seems odd with the 1000lb recommended brake limit.

We are heading down to Montana this weekend, back through Alberta/BC. We were pulling with our 91 4x4 Toyota so pulling with the soob will be different. Mind you, a 1991 22r engine only produced 114hp and the 2005 forester's are doing 165hp =)

Thanks Brad, I will check them out this morning.
We had our hitch and our brake controller (Jordan Ultima) installed by E & H hitch and were very happy with their service.
Elisabeth
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

Cool, two for E&H hitch.

I love their website, so 1999 internet =)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
----> snip

<----
Hi Booker

It does seem odd he hasn't seen more brake controllers, perhaps his trailer towing clientele are like my brother - have a Home Depot/Canadian Tire utility trailer used on weekends to transport plywood, compost, trash, etc. - all without regard to any manufacturer's guidance.

We have not yet installed the brakes so the brake controller is a hurdle we still have to jump. My plan it to deal with it a bit later this summer - one hurdle at a time. I need to spread out the costs to keep the boss happy. (If you use E&H, let us know how they work out for you.)

Drapes done, foam washed (and dried!), noted leaks patched, water inlet issue sorted, new tires, funky smell under control - though next weekend with my wife in it overnight will be the test of that, it's her sense of smell we're using as the gauge here. Now need to figure out what to take - lots of lists for that(!) and where/how to store it.

Have a great trip!
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

Ended up booking an appt. with a place on the island. Nothing was open until Monday in Vancouver with the long weekend happening. I asked for a prodigy controller install which added $100 to the price - but how can you price safety?