Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Each light has a place for two bulbs. But there were only bulbs in one of each, and those were two-wire bulbs. I can't find a number on the bulbs. The bulbs appear intact. Do I stay with the two-wire bulbs or put one in each socket? (I tried moving the one bulb to the other socket and it still did not do anything.)
If each light fixture has 2 bulb sockets, then the lower one (I am guessing that is where you found your bulbs, with the upper socket empty) uses 1157 bulbs with 2 filaments. One filament shines dimmer, and often has a brown wire feeding it; that is for the running or tail lights. The other filament shines brighter, and has a green (right side) or yellow (left side) wire feeding it; that is for the Brake and Turn Signals.

The upper socket would use an 1156 bulb with 1 filament. It is used for the Back-Up lights. If you have solid [b]RED lenses, then it makes sense that the upper sockets are empty. They're possibly not even connected.

These fixtures are usually grounded through the MOUNTING screws. There should be one white jumper wire to connect the ground to the base plate for each fixture.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
When I first started reading this post, I would've bet you a nickel that it was a bad ground. I'm not ruling that out, but after reading that you're going from a flat 4 to a seven pin, I'd say that there's an issue with that as well.

The first thing I usually do when checking lights is "jiggle stuff". Hook up, start your vehicle, turn on your running lights and 4-ways. Remove the taillight cover, and jiggle the bulbs. Take them out, put them in, turn them, and wiggle them (BTW, I'd bet they're 1157's). Next, with everything still running, jiggle the connectors. Unplug/replug them a few times.

Lastly, if this hasn't worked, turn off your vehicle, and remove the cover from your 7-pin connector. Inside you should see that the wires are mounted inside little holes, and held in place with little set screws. Get yourself a small screwdriver, and loosen then tighten those little screws.

If all this 'jigglin' doesn't help, then I'd bet your 7-pin is wired wrong. Somewhere on here is a link to the industry standard wiring diagram for the 7-pin harness.

Or you could let the guy at Les Schwab look at it.

Boy does this drag up some old memories. Way back when I was a young buck working for my rich uncle. (Uncle Sam's military). I worked in a USAF Television station before the age of transistors. Something would go wrong with the transmitter and this sargent in charge would pull out his little stick. He would pound and yank on every wire connection he could find. After about an hour of this he'd get tired and go get a cup of coffee. While he was gone I'd replace the bad tube and spend the next hour resoldering all the connections he broke.
Thanks for memories.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:46 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
There is no sign of corrosion in the sockets. Also, the lights WERE working three months ago when I parked the trailer, except for one turn light. So I doubt it is either the lack of bulbs or corrosion, but I'll check.

I woke up this morning thinking, Hey, the trailer wasn't actually coupled to the car; maybe I didn't have a ground.
Just because it did not look OBVIOUS, it does not mean that there was NO sign of corrosion. Just because the lights worked 3 months ago doesn't mean much now, either. Corrosion, like cholesterol, builds very slowly and evenly. There could be just enough of a microscopic film to prevent current flow.

Sometimes, especially through 4-pin to 7-pin adapters, the ground gets lost, and some older trailers grounded only through the frame, and they depended on the circuit being completed through the hitch ball-socket coupler connection. Good thinking to try hitching up and retesting.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Just because it did not look OBVIOUS, it does not mean that there was NO sign of corrosion. Just because the lights worked 3 months ago doesn't mean much now, either. Corrosion, like cholesterol, builds very slowly and evenly. There could be just enough of a microscopic film to prevent current flow.

Sometimes, especially through 4-pin to 7-pin adapters, the ground gets lost, and some older trailers grounded only through the frame, and they depended on the circuit being completed through the hitch ball-socket coupler connection. Good thinking to try hitching up and retesting.
And some don't even ground to the frame.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #19

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Well, I lucked out. I went home to try again (hooking up and testing) and caught the interest of a guy visiting next door. He works for the phone company but does things like this on the side, and he came over and helped, and we got as far as everything but one turn signal working. The rest WAS the ground problem; we think the ground wire to the four-way plug is maybe bad. I don't know why the left turn doesn't work but at least we're back to where it was a few months ago. (The left bulb is new.)

Bobbie
Old 08-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #20

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
You have the right idea in carrying a tester with you. When I bought my Trillium in the Early 80's we found the little cupboard above the closet. My wife dubbed it the GNW cupboard. {For God Knows What)
There is a small plastic bin in there where we keep the important things like spare mantles for the propane lantern, spare hose washers, the adapters for 15-30 amp power, a small can of 3in1 oil,
and a Ziploc sandwich bag which contains a paper with a diagram of the plug wiring, a 12v circuit tester, a roll of electrical tape, some small marrettes, a matchbox full of compression type wire connectors and a small pair of wire stripper pliers. There is still room in the bag for a couple of spare bulbs for each interior and exterior light on the trailer. This has been a lifesaver many times over the years. We also keep the registration and insurance cards taped inside the cupboard door for quick access if we need them.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...The rest WAS the ground problem; we think the ground wire to the four-way plug is maybe bad.
A typical four-way to seven-way adapter does not use the white wire of the four-way; only the three power connections (tail,left,right) go from the four-way to the seven-way, and a separate white wire is used. If you were expecting the adapter to get it's "ground" connection via the four-way, it likely wouldn't work.

These adapters use a separate white-wire connection because the wires and contacts in the four-way system are too small to handle the current requirements of battery charging and electric brakes, which are supported by the seven-way connectors.

I use one of these adapters. I crimped a ring terminal on the adapter's white wire and bolted it through a mounting tab on the hitch receiver, where I also terminated a white wire which goes directly to the van's battery (negative post). The van's body and my added wire both provide paths back to the battery; the four-way connector is not involved.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Speaking of testers, I would suggest that anyone interested in troubleshooting simple electrical stuf get and learn to use an Analog Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM) similar to the one on the link. You can find them at hardware stores, Wally, etc.

The reason I recommend the analog meter, over a digital meter, is that you can see the pulsing of the turn signals on the needle -- Some (all?) digital meters don't react fast enough to be of any use for that.

It isn't rocket science to learn how to test for voltage and continuity (no math involved ).
Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I finally had the chance to take a pic of a different way of rigging temporary lights rather than buying them from U-haul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	temptaillight_sm.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	9507

The price was negligible, and they're easy to make, the only thing is there's no running lights, so you can only use them in the daylight as turn/brake lights. Just add in the approriate length 3 prong extension cord, and you're done.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:
Boy does this drag up some old memories. Way back when I was a young buck working for my rich uncle. (Uncle Sam's military). I worked in a USAF Television station before the age of transistors. Something would go wrong with the transmitter and this sargent in charge would pull out his little stick. He would pound and yank on every wire connection he could find. After about an hour of this he'd get tired and go get a cup of coffee. While he was gone I'd replace the bad tube and spend the next hour resoldering all the connections he broke.
Thanks for memories.
Guess I should've added the word "gently".

Tags
lighting, lights