Trailer lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The rest WAS the ground problem; we think the ground wire to the four-way plug is maybe bad.
A typical four-way to seven-way adapter does not use the white wire of the four-way; only the three power connections (tail,left,right) go from the four-way to the seven-way, and a separate white wire is used. If you were expecting the adapter to get it's "ground" connection via the four-way, it likely wouldn't work.

These adapters use a separate white-wire connection because the wires and contacts in the four-way system are too small to handle the current requirements of battery charging and electric brakes, which are supported by the seven-way connectors.

I use one of these adapters. I crimped a ring terminal on the adapter's white wire and bolted it through a mounting tab on the hitch receiver, where I also terminated a white wire which goes directly to the van's battery (negative post). The van's body and my added wire both provide paths back to the battery; the four-way connector is not involved.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Speaking of testers, I would suggest that anyone interested in troubleshooting simple electrical stuf get and learn to use an Analog Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM) similar to the one on the link. You can find them at hardware stores, Wally, etc.

The reason I recommend the analog meter, over a digital meter, is that you can see the pulsing of the turn signals on the needle -- Some (all?) digital meters don't react fast enough to be of any use for that.

It isn't rocket science to learn how to test for voltage and continuity (no math involved ).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I finally had the chance to take a pic of a different way of rigging temporary lights rather than buying them from U-haul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	temptaillight_sm.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	9507

The price was negligible, and they're easy to make, the only thing is there's no running lights, so you can only use them in the daylight as turn/brake lights. Just add in the approriate length 3 prong extension cord, and you're done.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:
Boy does this drag up some old memories. Way back when I was a young buck working for my rich uncle. (Uncle Sam's military). I worked in a USAF Television station before the age of transistors. Something would go wrong with the transmitter and this sargent in charge would pull out his little stick. He would pound and yank on every wire connection he could find. After about an hour of this he'd get tired and go get a cup of coffee. While he was gone I'd replace the bad tube and spend the next hour resoldering all the connections he broke.
Thanks for memories.
Guess I should've added the word "gently".
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights