Trailer Lights - no blinkers?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
So - I pulled all my lights/wires off my trailer when I re-painted it this spring, and have replaced all of them. Currently - I am running a 4 wire system from my truck....

I am having a problem getting my turn signals to work? I'm getting running lights, but nothing in the turn department....

Brown and Yellow to the Starboard (right side) - Brown and Green to the Port (Left side)

I grounded my new lights through the new lights, but curious what I am doing wrong.... it seems everything is right - - but with only 4 wires, it should be easier than it is....

My dad still thinks because everything is fiberglass, I don't have a proper ground going somewhere - - so what a better place to ask then here....

Advice?
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1971
Quote:
So - I pulled all my lights/wires off my trailer when I re-painted it this spring, and have replaced all of them. Currently - I am running a 4 wire system from my truck....

I am having a problem getting my turn signals to work? I'm getting running lights, but nothing in the turn department....

Brown and Yellow to the Starboard (right side) - Brown and Green to the Port (Left side)

I grounded my new lights through the new lights, but curious what I am doing wrong.... it seems everything is right - - but with only 4 wires, it should be easier than it is....

My dad still thinks because everything is fiberglass, I don't have a proper ground going somewhere - - so what a better place to ask then here....

Advice?
Your tail/turn lamps are a double filiment bulb. The brown wire is for the tail lamp filiment, and the colored (green or yellow) wire is for the turn lamp filiment. Since this is a fiberglass trailer your Dad is correct. You need to run a third wire (white) or common ground wire to each of the lamp assemblies. On mine the white wire has an eye on the end of it and is mounted on one of the light assembly mounting screws under the bench. Your running lights/marker lights are working since it is only a single filiment bulb, so one of the wires is your hot wire and the other wire is your ground. Using a test light our multi-meter you can figure out which is which by making sure your marker light is on. Then remove the bulb. One wire should read 12v and the other wire will be 0 volts. Simply run a white wire form the ground side (0 volt wire) of your marker light over to one of your mounting screws on each tail light. This should get them working again. Good luck.
Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Tell us about your tow vehicle's taillamps. Do you have separate brake and turn signals (this configuration usually has orange blinkers in the back.), or combined brake and turn signals (the more traditional approach that is rapidly disappearing.)? If you have the former, you need an adaptor for your tow vehicle to combine the functions of the turn signals and brake lights.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
well - I know the problem exists in my camper - - my tow vehicle is a Chevy Avalanche with a factory installed kit - - also - my boat lights aren't a problem....

I think I know how to fix it??? I do think it's a ground issue.... I'm hoping to spend some time on it shortly - - - (for those Minnesota people) - the 93+ degree days right now aren't exactly the best for messing around inside a camper.... but I'm hoping to get her camping next weekend... so need to do it soon.

I'm going to try to putz with it this afternoon (early day) - and will probably post my success - or failure....

Thanks
Tim
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights