Trailer Rust Repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Trailer Rust Repair

The trailer on my Hunter Compact II is in sorry shape and needs attention. One example is pictured here where a brace has rusted. My plan is to carefully inspect each part of the trailer, mark the questionable spots, and then take it to someone who can make good welds. Is this the best plan? Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5781.jpg   DSCN5783.jpg  

Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Is that the factory design on the frame?
Maybe another pic of the frame showing a little more of the tounge would help with advice.
Your on the right track having a welder look at it!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd be very, very tempted to get a new frame. Construction on that tongue looks marginal at best. After over 40 years of use, I'd replace it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
opnion

I would take it to a local welder get his opinion those guys are honest to an extreme. looks to me like a little fixing and good to go with a light trailer like that.

maybe the camper isn't all that valuable or maybe no long trips involved.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Looking at the pics I can only assume that A frame was chopped and raised to get a higher ball height. This would never have been done by a professional RV or welding shop.
What I would do is find the most competent and respected welding shop in the RV community near you.
Due to the metal decay and condition, if it were mine, I would get rid of all that and weld new steel on the A frame up to a new coupler.
This was done undoubtably done in place of a drop receiver drawbar. Not a proper job or design at all.
Get the A frame repaired with a new coupler and get a receiver drop drawbar to match your tow vehicle height.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #6

Missouri
the pro

undoubtedly the welder will be using lots of stikum on this one but I bet he can make it brand new for a little money.

bob
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A frame looks like a shade tree amateur welder did it. A good welder may just cut it off and build something good, if the rest of the frame is OK.

Somebody butchered the front of that frame.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #8

Missouri
yep bet he fixes it up

bob
Old 01-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
nothing structural but to stop rust from coming back... Been using this product on salt water boat trailers for years, it works! https://www.por15.com/POR-15supregsu...ating_p_8.html
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
A frame looks like a shade tree amateur welder did it. A good welder may just cut it off and build something good, if the rest of the frame is OK.
Agreed, that looks like a failure waiting to happen. It's a sort of "crumple zone" built into the tounge of the trailer, not what you really want.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I did a frame off restoration of a Compact II several years ago and the frame did not look anything like what was in those pictures. I recommend a new frame.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
Thank you all.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A couple pics from the underside of the rest of the frame may make a difference for opinions Brian. From the condition in the two pics shown, I'd go with a complete new frame.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #14

Missouri
I would still give the welder a shot at least a looksee wont cost anything? j

just my thougts. ok now shoot me!!

bob
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #15

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
A couple pics from the underside of the rest of the frame.
Thank you Borrego Dave. I don't want to repair my trailer if it will remain unsafe and should instead be entirely scrapped.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5784.jpg   DSCN5786.jpg  

DSCN5787.jpg   DSCN5788.jpg  

DSCN5789.jpg   DSCN5790.jpg  

DSCN5791.jpg   DSCN5792.jpg  

DSCN5793.jpg   DSCN5794.jpg  

Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #16

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
That drop axle is the reason why someone decided to raise the A frame.
The axle and running gear look good but if they used a straight axle it would make things easier.
A lot of rework for sure.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #17

Missouri
rust

I don't understand rust I see a lot of superficial rust I still think a good welder could get it safe but my idea may not suit everyone. I would get it fixed then get under it with a paint brush and paint that thing. propably 3 coats

bob
Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Here is my $0.02. Unless there is extensive rust that penetrates deeply into the metal, I don't see anything in those pics that a competent welder couldn't repair. It might be the most economic with labor costs factored in, to get a new coupler assembly and have that welded into the chassis tongue repaired to factory specs. That might mean pulling the body to do a frame off restoration of the chassis. The welder can make that determination.

I agree with the RV Doc that the dropped axle might be the culprit which caused the reason for the frame mod in the first place. It is hard for me to tell for sure without seeing a stand back view of the trailer exterior. Dropped tongues similar to what was done here aren't inherently dangerous IF they are done correctly which yours was not. If your axle is too low to run a straight tongue, you may want to ask yourself if you really want your trailer to ride that low. If so, new straight axle assemblies aren't very expensive should you decide to have the axle replaced. Replacing the axle and having the tongue restored to factory height might be cheaper than having the tongue competently rebuilt with the drop retained. Your welder can make that determination.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita uses a step-up coupler, so it can certainly be done safely. I agree that the existing arrangement is questionable and probably needs to be redone.

I don't see any glaring problems with the rest, just lots of surface rust. Looks like there has already been some recent work on the axle. A professional welder- one with a shop and insurance- will give you the conservative answer to rehab or rebuild.

Part of the answer may lie with your future plans for this trailer. If you plan extensive rehab, lots of travel, and/or backcountry use, a new beefed-up frame could be an investment now that will pay off in the long run. The other part of the answer, of course, lies with your budget and what the welder tells you.

Whether you decide to rehab or rebuild, I would plan to remove the shell. That allows you to address all surfaces and redo the shell-frame attachment bolts. I have read of several Hunters that were held together by only 1 or 2 badly rusted bolts and gravity.

EDIT: Saw your post, Michael, after I hit send. I think we're saying much the same.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #20

Missouri
if you are saying a couple of bolts hold the whole thing on for goodness sakes take it off then the true picture comes out. then I bet taking it to a welder for a quick opinion would be the best. I still haven't given up on that trailer if the trailer itself and you have it why not invest in the welder and 4 s/s bolts. I know this is what I would do!

bob