Trailer security - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Theft is not as big an issue when you have a Scamp 5th wheel -- very few people have the goose-neck ball setup needed to tow it -- but I do worry about our Surfside "project" trailer.

One of the things I plan on making for the Surfside is a little tilt/shake detector circuit. Connected to its own battery inside the trailer (separate from the battery on the tongue, which could be disconnected), when it's turned on it will simply apply the trailer's electric brakes when it detects movement. So the would-be-thief gives the trailer a pull, the brakes come on and lock the axle, the guy tugs again . . . and again . . . maybe disconnects the battery on the tongue, tugs again . . . and again . . . then gives up because the trailer has an axle problem or something.

It's a lot more subtle than an obvious ball-hitch lock or other device that can be cut off or otherwise subverted.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
Theft is not as big an issue when you have a Scamp 5th wheel -- very few people have the goose-neck ball setup needed to tow it -- but I do worry about our Surfside "project" trailer.

One of the things I plan on making for the Surfside is a little tilt/shake detector circuit. Connected to its own battery inside the trailer (separate from the battery on the tongue, which could be disconnected), when it's turned on it will simply apply the trailer's electric brakes when it detects movement. So the would-be-thief gives the trailer a pull, the brakes come on and lock the axle, the guy tugs again . . . and again . . . maybe disconnects the battery on the tongue, tugs again . . . and again . . . then gives up because the trailer has an axle problem or something.

It's a lot more subtle than an obvious ball-hitch lock or other device that can be cut off or otherwise subverted.
Now that's an interesting and novel approach...I could find no info Goggling so have you any more info on it?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Raja,
Thank You for the links, I am reading the whole thread. It is very interesting.

Bill K

Quote:
Bill,

Here's a link to the thread. It's been awhile since I read the whole thing, but I'm 99% sure it's in there where he talks about (and shows photos of) his hitch set ups.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=127078

Edited to add: Okay, start here at post #27 for the hitch stuff specifically:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=128218

Raya
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Now that's an interesting and novel approach...I could find no info Goggling so have you any more info on it?
It's something I came up with, not something you'll find in a store. It's based on the idea of an old-fashioned car alarm that wails on a speaker for a period of time after the car is bumped or moved. You can't buy the old alarms anymore, so I need to design the circuit, test and install it. When I work out the details I'll post them in the forum.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #19

Name: Richard
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 13'
Alberta
I'm not sure how best to post this so that all responders can see it, but THANKS TO EVERYONE! These ideas have been very helpful! I've ordered a 13 foot Scamp, so it wouldn't take much to haul it away. I know you can't prevent someone from stealing from you if he wants what you have badly enough, but at least I won't feel like a fool when it happens if I take some precautions. These suggestions now make that possible. So THANK YOU all very much! Richard
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #20

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Here's another thought. I don't think that it is likely that your trailer will be stolen. However, in the unlikely event that it is, one of these on board would go a long way toward finding and getting it back.

http://www.opengpstracker.org/index.html

This is sort of a poor man's lojack, and I can see many other uses for it....

Steve
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #21

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Some info here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...p;hl=tilt+alarm