Trailer sparks at hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Sparking Hitch

Do you have an emergency switch that sets the trailer brakes when the trailer comes unhooked to the TV, sometimes called a break away switch, that possibly has been triggered? This switch is a DOT required switch I believe.
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #22

Name: Khristy
Trailer: 1979 Trillium
California
Thanks Everybody for keeping us going!

I pulled the battery and cut out the positive and negative wires connected to the red and white wires at the power converter. They looked fine but wanted to make sure and really didn't like the connection point anyway.

We ran through it all again today. We hooked up the battery temporarily to the same locations at the power converter ... And no sparks!!

We're starting to wonder if we didn't have the plug into the tug tight and that caused the sparking?

We're still a little confused but everything (ac / dc / with tow vehicle only / with trailer battery only) seems to be working. We're going to re-wire the battery to a Blue Sea fuse box under the gaucho and clean up the wiring under there. We're going to replace the seven pin wiring from the hitch plug to the gaucho. I may play with a negative wire to the trailer frame from the Blue Sea box.

And hopefully we'll be ready to camp soon!

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

KG
Khristy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Assorted electrical sources combination in trailer/tow vehicle system

..Things as I know of : green wire is for ground/chassis frame contacts, white is for common and should be float, black for positive 12VDC, red from trailer converter is for charging trailer battery. The whole system includes: trailer battery, shore power 120VAC, trailer converter(120VAC to 12VDC), 12VDC from towing vehicle( signals, stops, brake lights....), towing vehicle battery..and also solar power from trailer. Do not mistake green(common ground) for white(common bond). Not including ebrake or back up alarm/camera for trailer. That is came from my trailer I hooked it up ALL as diy project. It works perfectly...Just a share...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just a heads up.... While there are "Standard" color codes for wiring, 1) The rig in question was built 35 years ago when the color codes were different, if even followed at all and, 2) It's been through tons of owners who, like me, usually use the color of wire they have on hand, rather than going out and buying wire by color and length.....

In short NEVER trust color codes or, as a famous co-star to a chimp once said, "Trust, but verify".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote