Trailer Tongue Box - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #15
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Another word of advice from another woman, quit playing the gender card. Being a female has nothing to do with your frustration. Male or female anyone can feel overwhelmed with trying to acquire a ton of new information and skills. I have no idea why you would think it is easier for the male gender when some of them they go around saying and believing things such as "I can't sew on a button"

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #16
Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Hello Janisg.

We all started somewhere with our rigs and we all learned how to do all kinds of necessary things with them to repair, restore, renovate...etc. The forums here on this site are pure gold for how to information.

I am a single 68 year old woman, with two artificial knees. I am quite capable of hitching and unhitching, driving around , leveĺing and parking my 17 ft Boler. Backing it up smoothly and perfectly still challenges me but I keep trying.

I've repaired leaks in my trailer, checked my own gas lines, cleaned and greased my own bearings and anywhere else that needs to be greased . I empty my own black and grey water tanks, flush them out and fill the fresh tank with water. I have a portable 'honey pot' that I drain the black and then grey water tanks into and then take it to drain and clean it.

My toughest challenge is getting down to do some of these things and getting back up with my knees.

Every spring my Boler gets safety checked and the serious repairs get left to the professionals, like brakes. Last spring all the electrical harnesses and wiring was replaced as mice got in and damaged them. That was professionally done.

I winterize it totally by myself now including using a pressure hose to bow out the hot water tank.

A very good friend said to me "it is your trailer, no one else's so you had better be able to handle things yourself". I totally agree with him.

Janis it feels soooo good when something gets figured out . If I truly cannot do it after trying a couple of times I will ask for help.

My back went up when you wrote " being female and not understanding mechanical things". Really? What on earth does being female have to do with it?

"Look it up yourself" raised my eyebrows and I am certainly glad you apologized for that.

Ask questions, try fixing things yourself.

Your questions were all very good ones. I am in the process of replacing my battery and Carol's information is very helpful to me.

Thanks to you Carol for the information.

Linda Thomas-Stewart

Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #17
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
My back went up when you wrote " being female and not understanding mechanical things". Really? What on earth does being female have to do with it?
Linda and KC raised a good point.

There are many women here who do all their own towing and repairs on their trailers - some pull small trailers some big trailers, some pull larger 5th wheels. Some even know how to back up their trailers really well & have had more than one guy ask them to help back theirs up! It is also not uncommon at all for it to be a female member who answers a question as to how to go about fixing such and such.

This forum is a great resource for anyone who pulls a fibreglass trailer, male, female, young, old, new to towing or been towing for years, towing as a single party or a family of 5.

I have to agree that the playing the "being a female and not understanding how to do mechanical things" card is not being very respectful of yourself or the many other female members of this forum how give their time to you to answer your questions and concerns.

You will also find that from time to time questions go unanswered longer than some might like - particularly in the spring and summer and on week-ends. But more often than not it is because everyone is out camping! Which is what this forum is also all about.

Edit: Forgot to answer one of your question as to whether or not Scamp came ready to add a solar to it. Any trailer that has a battery can easily have a solar system added to it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita Indy.

I did some research on a front box for a Scamp this winter. Tractor Supply Corp. (TSC) Sells an aluminum tongue box that overhangs the frame rails 2" on each side. I measured it and it looked big enough to hold a 20lb LP tank and battery. I decided against installing one on my Scamp.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #19
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
Just wish I could do things myself like he does. Janis

Why can't you, just saying
I once worked for a man would say "Can't never did anything"

Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote