Trailer Tongue Box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Trailer Tongue Box

I have been looking at the Scamp trailers; I like the fact that it has a high insulation rating. But two things bother me, the door lock, which I already found information about on this site and the fact that it doesn't have a tailer tongue box. I would like one to put the propane tank and battery in. Can this be added on? And would Camping World be able to put these things on for me.
Also, is it already able to connect a solar panel to? Thanks.
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

Delaware
Trailer Tongue Box

I see I got a lot of looks at my question but no answers--so I googled trailer tongue box for scamp and it brought me back to fiberglassrv and I got my answers.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
What answers did you find?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #4

Delaware
Google it yourself and see what you come up with.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I know all about the Scamps lock problems. Just wondering what you found out about tongue boxes for trailers that never had one made by the builder. I don't want or need one, but you were the one that posted your question and answer. Just kind of figured that you'd inform us of what you found out like others do after a web search. "Look for yourself" is a bit of a slap for folks here that try to help members out.....just sayin'.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #6

Delaware
Sorry Dave, you're right, I should have been kinder to you. But it was in the middle of the night and I just didn't feel like going into it when I saw your response. Don't sleep well--plus the fact I'm really tired of looking at travel trailers and all the difficulties and problems I read about each make. Also, being a female and not understanding how to do mechanical things is frustrating. I was disappointed that I got a lot of looks but no response to my question.

I've discovered that you would have to buy a plastic light-weight box for the front of the Scamp. I really meant that if you do google it you will find the same information I found. I can tell you it was a question from 12/28/2007, by mcnick. He had/has a 1983 Scamp and was wondering the same thing I was about a container for the front of his scamp. You would have to look up his name because I don't know how to transfer it to this page. He finally did get some answers and references to his question. Again I'm sorry for not being nicer. Janis
Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Name: J
Isle of Wight
tonque box

Would this work for you?
Universal Over-tank Utility Platform

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
I have been looking at the Scamp trailers; I like the fact that it has a high insulation rating. But two things bother me, the door lock, which I already found information about on this site and the fact that it doesn't have a tailer tongue box. I would like one to put the propane tank and battery in. Can this be added on? And would Camping World be able to put these things on for me.
Also, is it already able to connect a solar panel to? Thanks.
Any such box must be well ventilated to have the propane tank(s) and battery inside.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #9

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Would this work for you?
Universal Over-tank Utility Platform

Jim

I don't know Jim since I don't own a scamp or any other camper yet--but I've been to your site a few times and like what I saw. I read A LOT about campers and camping but haven't gotten the chance to buy yet--and I keep changing my mind on what kind of camper I want. Thanks for sending the information. Janis
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Any such box must be well ventilated to have the propane tank(s) and battery inside.

Hi Wayne, I did just find out that a box does have to be ventilated and now I'm not to keen on having a battery in there with the propane tank (when I ever get a camper). Read earlier this morning that a spark from a battery can cause a fire/explosion because of the propane tank. This is why a read a lot on campers. I want to use a more expensive battery--Lifeline AGM battery. Don't know if that would cause any sparks but I think I would have to lock it up so it doesn't get stolen because it is expensive. I want a battery I don't have to take care of and will last a long time. I watch the Willful Wanderer on youtube because he has a lot of information on things like batteries, solar power, locks etc. He's very down to earth and easy to understand. Just wish I could do things myself like he does. Janis
Old 05-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
This is why a read a lot on campers. I want to use a more expensive battery--Lifeline AGM battery. Don't know if that would cause any sparks but I think I would have to lock it up so it doesn't get stolen because it is expensive. I want a battery I don't have to take care of and will last a long time.
No matter which battery you purchase you WILL need to take care of it The biggest issue with all types/makes/brands is making sure you monitor it and NEVER run it down. Its the same with the expensive AGM's as it is with my current 6volts or the old group 27 Deep Cell on my Scamp. Had previously used basic deep cell batteries for years and maintaining it is not really a big thing. They always did the job well (lots of camping without power) for at least 5 years. Only thing I did was a make sure I did not leave it plugged in and unused for days on end and a couple of times a year I would pop the battery top open and check water level and add distilled water - which BTW if you never run it down or boil it you probable will not be adding water. The battery is probable the lowest yearly maintenance item on the trailer.

There are a number of disadvantages to an AGM batteries and the care they need, which can be seen by some as a negative depending on your situation. One big one is it must be stored in a charged position all winter .... and kept that way. They are also more sensitive to over charging.

If I was new to trailers I would consider spending my money on a battery monitoring system, 3 stage charge system and a solar system before spending it on a more expensive battery. Better to learn how a battery works and how to keep it working well on a less expensive battery than a real expensive one.

Re the propane cover. As others have suggested they have never come standard or as an option on a Scamp for a couple of reasons. The big one being that the tongue area of the Scamp is small, hard enough to fit propane tanks, Battery and tongue jack on it and have them all clear enough from each other without interfering with something. The other is weight, Scamp is trying to sell a light weight trailer and adding anything to the tongue adds weight.

Personally not sure why one would actually want/need one on a Scamp. A nice vinyl propane tank cover does the trick of tidying up the look. I have done lots of trips of several weeks & have only ever used one tank (lasts for weeks even running the fridge on propane).

Not to mention that many of the tank covers are a bit of a pain! Many need to be removed or partly removed to turn the propane on and off or to see the gage - it seems to depend on how close to the trailer the tanks are mounted. Even on my new to me SOB trailer that is/was the case - my first mod to the trailer was to install hatch access ports to the cover to allow me to turn propane on and off without having to remove the cover .... even though the tank cover was factory installed and designed for the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #12

Delaware
Thanks Carol, I'll consider your advice. Good-bye All.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have seen propane tank covers that have a hatch on them. Going to get one eventually.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Here you go: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/custom-nose-cone-and-storage-for-scamp-67478.html. It is "custom" made and may not help you but works great for me. Sorry I did not see your post yesterday, hope you find what you need. One word of advice, if the search is that frustrating you may want to step back and re-evaluate.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Another word of advice from another woman, quit playing the gender card. Being a female has nothing to do with your frustration. Male or female anyone can feel overwhelmed with trying to acquire a ton of new information and skills. I have no idea why you would think it is easier for the male gender when some of them they go around saying and believing things such as "I can't sew on a button"
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Hello Janisg.

We all started somewhere with our rigs and we all learned how to do all kinds of necessary things with them to repair, restore, renovate...etc. The forums here on this site are pure gold for how to information.

I am a single 68 year old woman, with two artificial knees. I am quite capable of hitching and unhitching, driving around , leveĺing and parking my 17 ft Boler. Backing it up smoothly and perfectly still challenges me but I keep trying.

I've repaired leaks in my trailer, checked my own gas lines, cleaned and greased my own bearings and anywhere else that needs to be greased . I empty my own black and grey water tanks, flush them out and fill the fresh tank with water. I have a portable 'honey pot' that I drain the black and then grey water tanks into and then take it to drain and clean it.

My toughest challenge is getting down to do some of these things and getting back up with my knees.

Every spring my Boler gets safety checked and the serious repairs get left to the professionals, like brakes. Last spring all the electrical harnesses and wiring was replaced as mice got in and damaged them. That was professionally done.

I winterize it totally by myself now including using a pressure hose to bow out the hot water tank.

A very good friend said to me "it is your trailer, no one else's so you had better be able to handle things yourself". I totally agree with him.

Janis it feels soooo good when something gets figured out . If I truly cannot do it after trying a couple of times I will ask for help.

My back went up when you wrote " being female and not understanding mechanical things". Really? What on earth does being female have to do with it?

"Look it up yourself" raised my eyebrows and I am certainly glad you apologized for that.

Ask questions, try fixing things yourself.

Your questions were all very good ones. I am in the process of replacing my battery and Carol's information is very helpful to me.

Thanks to you Carol for the information.

Linda Thomas-Stewart
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
My back went up when you wrote " being female and not understanding mechanical things". Really? What on earth does being female have to do with it?
Linda and KC raised a good point.

There are many women here who do all their own towing and repairs on their trailers - some pull small trailers some big trailers, some pull larger 5th wheels. Some even know how to back up their trailers really well & have had more than one guy ask them to help back theirs up! It is also not uncommon at all for it to be a female member who answers a question as to how to go about fixing such and such.

This forum is a great resource for anyone who pulls a fibreglass trailer, male, female, young, old, new to towing or been towing for years, towing as a single party or a family of 5.

I have to agree that the playing the "being a female and not understanding how to do mechanical things" card is not being very respectful of yourself or the many other female members of this forum how give their time to you to answer your questions and concerns.

You will also find that from time to time questions go unanswered longer than some might like - particularly in the spring and summer and on week-ends. But more often than not it is because everyone is out camping! Which is what this forum is also all about.

Edit: Forgot to answer one of your question as to whether or not Scamp came ready to add a solar to it. Any trailer that has a battery can easily have a solar system added to it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Box?

FWIW
I did some research on a front box for a Scamp this winter. Tractor Supply Corp. (TSC) Sells an aluminum tongue box that overhangs the frame rails 2" on each side. I measured it and it looked big enough to hold a 20lb LP tank and battery. I decided against installing one on my Scamp.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Just wish I could do things myself like he does. Janis

Why can't you, just saying
I once worked for a man would say "Can't never did anything"

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp