trailer too tall to get in garage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrueger View Post
Ian, how tall is your garage door opening and do you have any vents on the top of your boler? The biggest problem for me are the vents, although those wheels look like they might be small enough to work for me and might be worth looking into. As it stands right now, I've got the brake drums 3 inches from the ground and one of the top vents scrapes the top of my 7 foot garage door opening by just a hair. I have no room to play with for sure.
My garage door is just shy of 7' and I have a 14"x14" roof vent on top that is about 2" (maybe more) above the roof line. I need to install the 8" rims backwards on the hubs for them to clear the brake drums but this works fine and I have several inches of clearance to the door.

This shows the Boler outside my garage with the 8" wheels installed
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #22

Trailer: Helite
Can U roll it in on the hubs?
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
Can U roll it in on the hubs?
I would never roll a trailer directly on the hub, it would be too easy to damage the hub face where the wheels mounts which would cause runout on the mounted wheel. also if the axle has a negative or "up angle" trailing arm configuration like most Bolers and Scamps the hub would not even contact the ground.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Maryland
Registry
Ok. Here's a long shot but. . Can you compress the springs using a chain or leaf spring compressor. This might give u just what you need to get under the door header.
JD1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1994 View Post
Ok. Here's a long shot but. . Can you compress the springs using a chain or leaf spring compressor. This might give u just what you need to get under the door header.
That may work for some trailers, but typically Scamps don't have leaf springs. They ride on a torsion axle.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1994 View Post
Can you compress the springs using a chain or leaf spring compressor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That may work for some trailers, but typically Scamps don't have leaf springs. They ride on a torsion axle.
The Scamp still has springs, even though they are not of the leaf type, or even steel - they're just rubber. I think it would be difficult to arrange a safe system to compress the springs significantly, which would mean pulling the suspension arms up toward the frame. I wouldn't try it.

This is just a "last inch" technique, since that's about all the travel available, but that's all that was being suggested.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
My bad, thanks for the correction. :-)
mkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Would seem to me that you could get a metalworking shop to cut out a pair of circular steel plates to the smallest possible diameter that would fit over your hubs. Have them also cut out the 4 or 5 holes matching the bolt pattern on your wheels and the center hub as well (if required). Then take an old bicycle tire and glue it over the edge of the steel plate as a driving surface, and who-la, you have a new set of wheels giving you maximum possible clearance. If that is not enough clearance, you would have to also remove your vents from on top of the trailer and set them up so that they can be readily removed and re-installed. If it still don't work, you are out of luck and will have to either increase your garage door size or park elsewhere.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Thanks for the suggestion Ian G! I went to our local Tractor and Supply store and purchased two 8" tires. Minus letting some air out of the tires it worked flawlessly! This is much safer than lowering the break drums on to car dollies for sure.
mkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrueger View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Ian G! I went to our local Tractor and Supply store and purchased two 8" tires. Minus letting some air out of the tires it worked flawlessly! This is much safer than lowering the break drums on to car dollies for sure.
Be sure to put the larger tires back on before you hit the road.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #31

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
How hard would it be to replace the garage door header? rebox in after cutting about a foot higher. I would understand if you have an automatic door system, that maybe too expensive to replace...
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote