Trailer/tug plug connection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Trailer/tug plug connection

Hi all, after seeing a number of posts from members that had a problem with the plug connection when picking up a new to you TT I've got a Baja fix to get you home, it worked for me. Being you never really know how folks have changed the wiring around, I made up a one foot pigtail jumper. The tug side was wired to be correct to my tug specs along and the female TT end. In my case, after hooking up and hitting left turn, all the marker lights blinked, whoops. Opened up the female end of my plug pigtail and pulled everything but the ground and found which one worked correctly. None of this is rocket science but having the pigtail at the coupler was a lot easier to work with than being on your back on the ground. Now if you've got burned out bulbs...........plead innocence if stopped, "they were working when I left" officer .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I made up a one foot pigtail jumper.
What do you mean by this, Dave? To me a pigtail is a single branch wire off a connection with 2 or more other wires, as in this example.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
pigtail

[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;623068]What do you mean by this, Dave? To me a pigtail is a single branch wire off a connection with 2 or more other wires, as in this example.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------/QUOTE]

For me, a pigtail has always been the 4 prong plug with 4 wires hanging from it. Or a truck clearance light; the socket with the 2 wires hanging from it. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
A pigtail is usually any short spliced wire. Many applications.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

California
Guess it's all in the name . At work we've always called any kind of adapter pigtails. All I made up was a 1' long TT cable with male end wired for my truck and the female receiver on the other end. Just made it very easy to reposition any connections to have "get home" lights. In my case, I only had a round 6 pin plug at the time and no brake controller yet. 6 pin round to a 7 pin to fit the Casita SD. Was only looking for turn and brake lights for the 100 mile trip. Think it took about 15 minutes and I didn't have crawl under anything.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Why would you not use the wiring device like it was designed and make the connection on the device?

The wiring these in series will mean if a wire is broken then downstream will get no power just like if a wire comes loose from a wire nut.
Personally I have seen more failed wirenuts than connections to wiring devices
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Why would you not use the wiring device like it was designed and make the connection on the device?

The wiring these in series will mean if a wire is broken then downstream will get no power just like if a wire comes loose from a wire nut.
Personally I have seen more failed wirenuts than connections to wiring devices
Wow, never thought that a simple TT adapter post would go sideways, gang boxes ?
Old 01-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
In Maine, A PIG TAIL is the only part of a pig, one can not EAT.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
In Ontario, the electrical code for homes says that all neutral wires must be joined with a marr connector befor going to the plug so that if one receptacle is removed no shock hazard is created by a path completed by equipment plugged into other outlets
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #10

to the original post:
I made a 7 conductor cable wired to match my tug, then put bullet plugs on the other end, and made up a 4 and 7 pin connector with bullet receptacles so that i could switch wiring around to match the trailer, I also call this a pigtail, and it is used only to get a trailer home, then I re-wire to standard
Joe
Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Dave, (the OP,) was referring to troubleshooting problems associated with 12 VDC 7-Pin trailer umbilical wiring. Why then, are there 8 posts on non-relevant 120 VAC household receptacle wiring configurations, and associated non-relevant codes, etc, and not one single reply that can be considered to be relative to the original post. There seems to be a definite lack of focus on the topic being discussed. Please think before posting irrelevant comments. Absolutely none of the replies so far have been even remotely relevant.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Well said casitas Gregg
Once again a simple topic/suggestion has left the track

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #13

Actually, my second post directly dealt with the original question