Trailers that fit in garages - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You'll absolutely need a bathroom, which most 13'ers don't have. Those that do give up a lot of space and lack a dedicated sitting/eating area, so you'll have to make up the bed and take it down daily. You may also find a 16'er easier to find and cheaper, because there are a lot more out there with bathrooms. That said, if you still decide to go with a 13' bath model, Floyd is the resident expert at making that layout work for long-term use. He's done some nice mods, particularly with the dinette area, making it more flexible for day/night use.

Couple of concerns about living in the trailer inside a garage…

(1) You won't be able to use propane appliances inside an enclosed space, and that includes the HW heater. Some are 2-way; many are LP only.

(2) In some places the lease terms or local codes may prohibit what you're planning to do. A night here and there, and folks might look the other way, but more than that could raise eyebrows.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Then you have the water/sewer to deal with living with it inside a garage. Something else to think about. One thing's for sure...ALL electric!

First time I've ever heard of doing this....but as my dad use to say, "What I dont know would make another world!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You'll absolutely need a bathroom, which most 13'ers don't have. Those that do give up a lot of space and lack a dedicated sitting/eating area, so you'll have to make up the bed and take it down daily. You may also find a 16'er easier to find and cheaper, because there are a lot more out there. That said, if you still decide to go with a 13' bath model, Floyd is the resident expert at making that layout work for long-term use. He's done some nice mods, particularly with the dinette area, making it more flexible for day/night use.

Couple of concerns about living in the trailer inside a garage…
(1) You won't be able to use propane appliances inside an enclosed space, and that includes the HW heater. Some are 2-way; many are LP only.
(2) In some places the lease terms or local codes may prohibit what you're planning to do. A night here and there, and folks might look the other way, but more than that could raise eyebrows.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Then you have the water/sewer to deal with living with it inside a garage. Something else to think about...
With careful management, a once or twice a week dump/refill run might suffice. But I did wonder about venting into an enclosed space. No idea how much of a problem that might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
First time I've ever heard of doing this....but as my dad use to say, "What I dont know would make another world!"
So true!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #24

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Water and Sewer Solutions

Here's a couple of ideas I had that could save you 52 trips to the dump station per year:

saniaccess3, saniflo, sani access 3, saniaccess

Amazon.com : K&H Rubber Thermo-Hose Ice-Free 20-Foot Water Hose : Aquarium Heaters : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I've been thinking about this "fulltiming in a garage" as probably the least expensive but fun housing option in an urban area.

I think it's less expensive than any of the "Tiny House" approaches, and much easier to remove if requested by authorities, since it's probably illegal in most cities.

Solutions To The Top 5 Barriers Of The Tiny House Movement « The Tiny Life
Tiny House FAQs
How to get around Building Codes and Zoning for Tiny House Living

For me the Casita 16' has the best combination of low clearance and high resale value for this application. I'm sure I can even squeeze it through a 7' garage door.
Kevin in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote