Trailers that fit in garages - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Trailers that fit in garages

Hi folks,

I am renting a 2 car garage space which has a 16 x 8 overhead door. The rough opening for the door is about 7'-10" so I have 7'-8" max clear from slab to fully open door.

I am interested in finding (building if necessary) a trailer which can roll right inside. I have seen the schemes for achieving this. Fabric pop-ups, hard-sided pop-ups, Hi-Lo, switching the wheels to solid steel roller wheels, etc.

Some trailers are lower and have a pop-up center roof giving you a clerestory window all around, but in fabric.

I want all hard surfaces.

Thoughts?

Stevieboy
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're looking at used it can be toss up, truly

I own a 1988 Scamp Deluxe... No A/C. Originally, this trailer may have had enough clearance to run under an 8' garage door.

BUT, then I changed the axle and run 15" tires.

The important information I can give you is to MEASURE. Don't assume anything based on age or build type.

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Certainly any nominally stock Scamp13 will fit without A/C on the Roof. My 2004 with roof A/C fits comfortably through an ordinary "8 foot" door with a modicum of clearance to spare.
Newer Scamp13s (2007+) are a couple of inches taller and a DuoTherm A/C is a couple inches taller than my Coleman Mini-Mach.
Some clearance can be realized by simply using care and adjusting the tongue height up and down while entering the door. Most doors can gain full frame opening height with a simple prop to raise the door a little beyond the normal stopping point.
Reducing tire pressure can also reduce overall height of the trailer an inch or two without going all the way flat.
The Scamp 13 was originally designed to fit into a 7 Ft door opening, but gradual changes have increased the height to some degree.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Anyone know how tall an Amerigo is? They always look very low to me. I bet they would clear an eight foot door.

Fiberglass RV - MRClaus's Album: Merrygo - Picture
Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And there is always the opposite option of Donna's larger wheels, smaller "Parking" wheels. In the case of 4 on 4 bolt pattern wheels, they are available as small as 8", lowering a trailer up to 4" from the stock 13" wheel height, and a few roll in on bare rims.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #6

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up take off tires and rims

Hi Tom
Amerigo are low but it will fit my my garage but some of them aare taller.
you can take off the wheels and use a dollies to move in in too !
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Stevie...I personally would not own a "pop-up", the all-tent-style trailer. Also, the "HILO" company is out of business and I would stay away from them. Some other campers that come to mind that you dont have to deflate the tires, etc. on are the Trailmanor and the Aliner campers. Not only will they fit in your garage, but would be easier to pull (less drag). The only problem? They're not "fiberglass". <_<

TrailManor Website | The Smarter Way To RV
Campers - Aliner

[QUOTE=Stevieboy;538398]Hi folks,

I am renting a 2 car garage space which has a 16 x 8 overhead door. The rough opening for the door is about 7'-10" so I have 7'-8" max clear from slab to fully open door.

I am interested in finding (building if necessary) a trailer which can roll right inside. I have seen the schemes for achieving this. Fabric pop-ups, hard-sided pop-ups, Hi-Lo, switching the wheels to solid steel roller wheels, etc.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
I have 7'-8" max clear from slab to fully open door. <> I want all hard surfaces.
I garage a teardrop, but that might not be what you want.

Lil Snoozy notes 7'7". They place the AC on the back wall and keep the roofline clean. As Donna says, you really need to measure to validate. I have heard they are good about modifications; maybe the axle could be set up a bit differently to increase clearance.

Also try looking at Hunter Compact and Compact Jr. They have a small pop-top on the roof, so minimal "fabric"; I once had a '64 VW camper with that arrangement and found it acceptable. Someone noted their Hunter's dimensions here when they listed one for sale years ago:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...red-48375.html

Perhaps an old Boler.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-37402.html

If the driveway is sloped, that might be another factor to consider as it might reduce the effective clearance.

Ready to build your own? Try TNTTT.com

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailers that fit in garages

How big a trailer are you looking for? Any number of 13'ers are potential candidates, but larger trailers are hit and miss.

Among new trailers, Scamp and Casita 13' and 16' models and L'il Snoozy will possibly fit, based on current specs. Know that Scamp puts factory AC on the roof, which is a no-go, but Casita and L'il Snoozy use through-the-shell window AC installations.

With used trailers, especially older ones, it's even harder- original specs are hard to find, and mods can affect the height. The only way to be sure is to measure, as Donna said. I'm thinking most of the 13-16'ers would at least be candidates worth checking. Old torsion axles can settle a few inches, so be careful. If you buy one and then replace a worn-out axle, you may experience a growth spurt.

Since you mentioned building your own trailer, have you looked into the Happier Camper HC1? It's a 7' 4" 13'er with a rear cargo hatch and a flexible, modular interior. Not cheap, and it's a brand-new company with the attendant risks, but thought I'd mention it.

Consider yourself blessed to have an 8' garage. Lots of folks are stuck with the more common 7' doors and have far fewer choices.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #10

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Hi Steve, I owe a Perris Pacer and it fits in the garage! Also, if you have a air compressor, you can alway deflate the tires a little to make it work. A pain I know but....... Hope this helps!!
All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #11

Being somewhat sarcastic, but from observations, building ones own trailer reminds me of three street signs:

"Slow - Bumps Ahead", "Rough Road Ahead" and, halfway down that block "Dead End"

Try something that is already rolling down the road before you try to invent/reinvent the wheel.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Escape and Boler
British Columbia
My 13 Boler (1973) went into my normal 8' (nominal) garage.
MEASURE is the important matter - already advised to you
and if only an inch or so - let air out of tire and have an 'air tank'
(cheap) which you can fill at local friend or garage.
Lindenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Being somewhat sarcastic, but from observations, building ones own trailer reminds me of three street signs:

"Slow - Bumps Ahead", "Rough Road Ahead" and, halfway down that block "Dead End"

Try something that is already rolling down the road before you try to invent/reinvent the wheel.
I'm with Bob. Easier to build a garage or carport to fit what you have, or get a cover.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
And there is always the opposite option of Donna's larger wheels, smaller "Parking" wheels. In the case of 4 on 4 bolt pattern wheels, they are available as small as 8", lowering a trailer up to 4" from the stock 13" wheel height, and a few roll in on bare rims.
8" wheels are commonly available for 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #15

Building What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I'm with Bob. Easier to build a garage or carport to fit what you have, or get a cover.
The op has a rented space, I was talking about not building a trailer, not a storage space.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
The op has a rented space, I was talking about not building a trailer, not a storage space.
I was too quick on the quick reply. To state it more clearly, it would be easier to build a carport/garage for the trailer than to build a trailer from scratch.

I had neglected the rented nature of the OP's space.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #17

New York
Trailers to fit under 7'-8" garage door opening

All good thoughts. I was interested in a 16' fiberglass trailer with complete bathroom, though a 13' would be okay and would leave more shop space. I wanted to be a fulltimer, but realized one must have a place for some "stuff", and renting a storage space was IMO pointless. It would create an out of sight out of mind condition, in which I might as well get rid of the stuff. But I have some stuff that I want to keep, but Only if accessible, so renting the heated garage is perfect. And it gives me a shop space that I always wanted.

Would a 16' trailer be any taller than a 13?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sometimes, yes. Some 13'ers have raised axle arm angles for a lower ride height and better aerodynamics behind small tow vehicles. The 16'ers typically have a lower axle arm angle for a higher ride height to keep the tongue and back end from scraping on dips. Also, 16'ers more commonly have plumbing that hangs below the frame.

In my research for an earlier post, here's what I found:
Casita 13 = Casita 16 = 7'8" (interior height 5'10")
Scamp 13 = 7'6", but Scamp 16 = 7'10" (interior height 6'3")
L'il Snoozy = 7'7" (interior height 6'4")
Those are all current manufacturer specs and subject to verification...

I personally would want at least a 16' trailer for full-timing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #19

Name: Kevin
Colorado
Hi Stevieboy,

Are you saying that you plan on full-timing inside the heated garage?

If so, I think it's a fantastic idea. The biggest drawback is not really having a window that has a view.

You have to be super careful with propane appliances. Maybe an induction cooktop. Electric water heater and 1500watt electric heater. You don't want to pay for the heat of a poorly insulated garage.
Kevin in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #20

New York
Fulltiming in trailer in heated garage

First I was thinking of fulltiming in a trailer with no home base, so I wanted a 16 or 17 footer. When I realized I needed/wanted a home base, I envisioned a garage for the purpose. When the heated garage became available, I realized a 13 might be okay.