Trailers with NO shower - I have a solution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Trailers with NO shower - I have a solution

Hang a shower curtain from the ceiling of your trailer with a hula hoop, tuck the bottom of the curtain in the water heater pan. Might have to sew some magnets in the bottom of the shower curtain to keep the lower edge attached. The water heater pan has an opening for a drain. Drain into container outside. I have a 13' Scamp so I would drill a hole under the front bunk bench for the drain. Use a turkey fryer to heat up the water outside, turkey fryer hooks up to your propane tank. The reason I say a turkey fryer (30 qt or 7.5 Gallons) because it has a 55,000 BTU burner, water would be hot in 10 to 15 minutes. Would take forever on the trailer stove, not enough BTU on a trailer stove burner. For the shower head use a 12 volt, with the pump built in, with a plug for a cigarette lighter. When the water gets hot, bring it in your trailer, drop in your shower pump and get clean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	39583

Name:	PH1036_3MCommandHook.png
Views:	24
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	39585 Use 3M command hook to hang hula hoop

Name:	412S42rf7FL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	39586 Primus 12 volt shower head with pump

Just my idea.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Very inventive!

When I was a teenager, my grandparents bought Fishy Waters Camp between Cass Lake and Bemidji Minnesota. The cabins had no bathrooms, no curtains, no hot water. We had to heat the water on the stove and pour it in 2 big metal pans. The derriere sat in one----the feet went in the other. It was torture for a teen girl! This idea would have made the trip a bit more bearable (and a porta-potti instead of the under the bed chamber pot!) Jeesh
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We have a similar emergency shower set-up. We put it together when we used the Compact Jr and now carry it the Bigfoot. To catch the water, we use a small blow-up kiddie pool and for hot water we use a Zodi. All the parts store under a dinette bench. We've used it seldom, but it's nice to know it's there if needed.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our Egg Camper does have a shower but we'll never use it unless hooked up to city water & sewer because the fresh water and gray water tanks are too small.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There was a setup like that posted here from a trillium 4500 member but they stood in a storage container.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
here is the link, just hit next in the top right corner for the rest.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #8

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Great ideas!

I saw the shower in the Trillium before and really liked that. I plan on doing something like that in my 13-foot Scamp.

Here's a link to a web site that specializes in camp showers:

Hot Camp Showers

I bought the Eccotemp L-5 tankless water heater on sale at Camping World for $115 a few weeks ago otherwise I would have bought it from Hot Camp Showers.

The Eccotemp L-5 can be used with a 12 volt pump.

I haven't used it yet. I'm planning on attaching the output to the city water inlet on my 13-foot Scamp after I install the inlet and faucet. It would be nice to have the hot water for washing dishes as well as showering.
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Nomad power spray

Yes, great ideas.
I use a Nomad portable spray unit;
Amazon.com: Hoover MCOR35 Nomad Portable Wet Power Cleaner With Adjustable Spray: Home & Garden
It holds 3.5 gallons of water and has an adjustable spray nozzle. It is powered by an 18V battery pack or a 12V plug in. I remove some of the water, boil it on the stove, and put it back in the unit to warm the rest of the water. The battery, when fully charged, will empty the water tank 3 times before a recharge is needed. The nozzle handle can be locked 'on' so you just hang it and forget it. I boondock and use it outside but I like the ideas of hanging a shower curtain and standing in a container or pool for inside use. I have also used the unit for cleaning the outside of the trailer and car washes too.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
This type of setup has been mentioned here and there on RV forums for a while now, and yes it will work. You still need a place to stow the stuff when not in use. I for one am happy with the convenience of my built-in tub with shower. I greatly prefer showering in my own place (versus CG showers) and I used mine several times on the trip to Glacier.

Despite my stated preference, when I had the shower-less Burro I never did get up the gumption to buy the components you mention and rig up a shower. Guess I couldn't decide where to store it or how I wanted to suspend the hula hoop.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Our Egg Camper does have a shower but we'll never use it unless hooked up to city water & sewer because the fresh water and gray water tanks are too small.
hehe I only normally use my trailer shower when I dont have city water hook ups as that normally means there are no showers where Im camping either.
I have a small portable tote for draining the gray water tank off if it gets full and I use a portable water tote to refill the freash water as needed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Another option is a Solar Shower in a bag - I use one when kayaking and they work well - pack down to nothing for storage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
This type of setup has been mentioned here and there on RV forums for a while now, and yes it will work. You still need a place to stow the stuff when not in use. I for one am happy with the convenience of my built-in tub with shower. I greatly prefer showering in my own place (versus CG showers) and I used mine several times on the trip to Glacier.

Despite my stated preference, when I had the shower-less Burro I never did get up the gumption to buy the components you mention and rig up a shower. Guess I couldn't decide where to store it or how I wanted to suspend the hula hoop.
Well, yes... I'm sure a trailer WITH a factory shower would work better than one jury rigged. But... if you DON'T have a shower, something needs to be done. If you're active (sweating) and no alternate is available (CG), you are provided with the necessary incentive (gumption) to rig up a shower.
Barrie
Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Showering when camping

I always thought when camping one was supossed to be a little bit gamey. LOL

Besides, I take my shower before entering the pool.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I always thought when camping one was supossed to be a little bit gamey. LOL

Besides, I take my shower before entering the pool.
LOL... 'Gamey' is putting it mildly. I enjoy mountain hiking and I can get downright offensive. I was hiking in northern Maine last week and came face to face with a bull moose... he turned up his nose, turned around and walked away. I guess I could swim in a pond but I leave those for private bathing for the moose.
Barrie
Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #16

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 16' old
Florida
Registry
Thats a great idea, Kevin K, ....I'm glad Ive got a shower, although I don't know if it works yet. ........I'm saving your idea.
Sandy
Sandy From Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I agree with Mike: it's nice to have that option, but will the hassle outweigh your sweat?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #18

Name: Brett
Trailer: 05 Escape 17b
British Columbia
Registry
New trailer owner and next weekend is the shakedown trip.

We have the solar shower which Ellen has used before, but I am considering rigging up a privacy curtain outside, then running a hose from the kitchen sink. It has to be better than the bucket and cloth method of tenting.

I have used the faucet adapter and hose method to wash the dogs with warm water at home so it should be fine for people camping.

I will report back