Trails West Pop Top Weather Seal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
If I recall, mine is 149 and I don't think there is a lip.
Built in 1970.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #22

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Teri, is the 90 degree lip on your Campster fiberglass?

I now have the 3/4 inch bulb seal attached, but not fully adjusted. The inside photo shows the wood trim I tapered to create an inner dust seal.

Next on this top will be fabric (stretchable black mesh, all window / all screen / all the way around) and light weight removable panels for weather protection.

I did get an email from Harry Young regarding the Trails West factory papers, he had a computer meltdown, but hopes to retrieve an archived copy.

Mark
- - -
Attached Thumbnails
TrlsWstSeal.jpg   TrlsWstDustSeal.jpg  

Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #23

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Mark, Yes it is. My top seems to have more space, especially since the seal is away from the wood and frame.

I am going to work on the 'canvas' replacement this week. The original had 4 windows but I think I am going to only make 2.

I also need to test the propane lines as I now have an Olympic Wave 3 Catalytic heater that I need to install. But I will get to that too.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
Mark, I am going to order from R and P. They have what I need as my pop-top has a lip on it. I just have to get it done. Maybe now! What a thought.
What's R&P? My trim was white; has anyone seen anything but black or gray available? I'm ripping off the old trim as it is off on both sides, anyway but don't yet have a replacement. Mine has the straight edge.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #25

California
Bobbie, is yours a vertical fiberglass edge like on mine (post #5 & 12 for photos)? R&P Carriages Trailer Sales (link post #2) did not carry the 1/8 inch edge my Campster required. I believe Teri's has a 90 degree (metal?) edge.

Measure the gap all the way around. Mine varied from zero to close to 3/4 inch. I needed to lengthen the fiberglass vertical "lip" or edge in many areas, and grind it down in others to get a good fit with a 3/4 bulb. Would have been easier with 1" bulb (but I could only find that in 125 foot length.) I don't think you will find white, nor anything quite like the original if it looks like mine did.

McMaster-Carr has may sizes of Edge Gripe Seals, up to the 1/8 edge with a 3/4 bulb. R&P may be less expensive, if they have the size you need.

Mark
- - -
Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #26

Registry
It's vertical and it isn't very even, either. R&P has this one:
1/8" WHITE Edge Trim Seal BLACK BULB "C" RV Camper Lok | eBay
but as you say the bulb may be too small. It doesn't say in the ad but the bulb looks to be 3/8 to 1/2 inch.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #27

Registry
And where do you get stretchable black mesh?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #28

Registry
For temporary use I am going to stick some pipe wrap insulation (the round foam piece with a slot in it) on the edges. It won't do for winter but should be good for a bit this summer. I also want to paint the wood frame edge- mine is in great condition but is bare wood on the outside.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #29

Registry
I would also think I could just push the stuff on about halfway and then close down the top and let it push itself to the needed depth. My problem is going to be cleaning old glue and rubber off the lip as it looks like the previous owner glued the stuff back on at some point. It's a mess.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #30

California
My original bulb seal was glued & had a rivet at each corner. After you get it off, clamp down the top and measure the gap range. The Black & White bulb seal you linked to looks very small.

I have plenty of good no-see-um screen you may like. (I went with a stretchable mesh primarily to work better in conjunction with light-weight removable panels.)

Mark
- - -
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #31

Registry
What i realize looking at the trailer is that there is a bulge on top directly over the wheels. I suspect over time (42 years) the trailer has sagged a bit except at the axle. So yes, it definitely needs a bigger bulb to fill any gaps. But I wonder about also putting a bulb on the top of the wood frame (to give a second weather point?) Something like a door-threshold bulb. That won't help protect the lift mechanism from rust but will help keep water out of the interior.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #32

California
The roof on my Campster undulates with the highest points at the structural cabinet verticals. (Probably always has to a great degree.) I removed material with a Dremel Tool & sanding bit and added were the "lip" was short (and it was very short at the middle front where water would rush in when if towing in rain).

Mine would have been a lot easier if I had found & purchased a 1 inch bulb seal, as I had to add material in 3 areas. The 3/4 inch was too small for a good seal where the gap was greatest.

I think you really want to get a good seal at this lip. But I did go ahead and also add a foam strip to the inner wood frame, primarily as a dust / air seal.

Mark
- - -
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #33

Registry
Have you seen a one inch seal anywhere? I am figuring on getting the same one you bought but haven't ordered it yet. Mine was fine with the old one which was about that size but I may add the seal on top of the wood frame, too. I need to be ready to install it when I have the poptop fabric out.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #34

California
I could only find 1-inch in 100+ foot rolls.
MG
- - -
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #35

Registry
I still have not done this- trying to decide what to order now. McMaster or this slightly less expensive Trim-Lok. Trim Seal, Top Bulb w/ Vinyl Grip, 25' by TRIM LOK INC - Rubber Edge Trim Seals by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies I haven't found white or a 1 inch bulb but was going to go out and look at the old stuff I tore off to see how big it was. The pipe insulation has actually been working pretty well- I'm tempted to get the glue-on kind and paint it and stick with it.

Tags
trails west