Trails West Pop Top Weather Seal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Trails West Pop Top Weather Seal

I am looking for a source of pop top weather strip similar to that originally used on the 1970 Trails West Campster.

It is about a .5 inch bulb seal with .5 inch lips that come up each side of the fiberglass.
I I
O

Mark
Carpinteria, CA
- - -
Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Mark, This company has many kinds of trim. I've purchased trim a coupla times and they are very prompt.

1/16" BLACK Edge Trim Seal Lock RV Camper Lok 3/4" C | eBay
Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It is the same as VW poptop seals, it isn't just edging but has little metal clips to hold it on, it comes off because they rust out after about 30 years. Google VW poptop parts. You can also find parts for the poptop mechanism that way.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith and Dee D View Post
Mark, This company has many kinds of trim. I've purchased trim a coupla times and they are very prompt.

1/16" BLACK Edge Trim Seal Lock RV Camper Lok 3/4" C | eBay
Keith
Great lead. I will be doing some measurement. Looks like what I need they carry. My pop-top has a lip on it.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

California
Thanks for the info & link. (I had searched for weatherstrip & bulb seals, but not "trim".) I presume the crimp on the seal is water tight in this exposed and vertical position.

On my Trails West #267 the original (I presume) white bulb seal (now painted over) is well glued / bonded to the fiberglass & secured at corners with screws or rivets. The top may have a manufacturing flaw as the fiberglass lip that the seal attaches to on the pop top is shorter at the center front where the seal ends come together, allowing a good sized gap. The bulb seal in the link Keith provided may be large enough to take care of the gap by itself.

Mark
- - -
Attached Thumbnails
TrlsWestTopSealFront5968.jpg   TrlsWstTopSealCorner5970.jpg  

TrlsWstTopSealSeam5962.jpg  
Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #6

California
Teri, the dimensions on mine are: Bulb .625 (5/8) / Lip .625 (5/8) and .1875 (3/16) thick on the fiberglass. I will go up to a bulb of 1-in and a 3/4-in lip.

I called the maker of Trim-Lok products (Tel: 714-562-0500) and they sell only full reels of 125 feet in these sizes, but recommended trying Austin Hardware & Supply in Chambersburg, PA (800.634.4293) Austin Hardware & Supply, INC
as they recently purchased full reels in these sizes. I plan to soon order 17 feet of 100375B3X3/16C black Pebble finish vertical bulb w/ alum clips.

Mark
- - -
Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #7

California
The Austin Hardware source sold all the larger size of the number I gave above. I may call back to see if they have the smaller size.
- - -
Old 11-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #8

California
A better measurement of the lip on mine shows 1/8in. I ordered a 25ft length of 1/8 with a 3/4 bulb seal from McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr

The link Keith provided is a much better buy -- if a 1/16 thickness will work. (The vendor, R and P Carriages, did not have 1/8.)
- - -
Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

California
Registry
Mark, I am going to order from R and P. They have what I need as my pop-top has a lip on it. I just have to get it done. Maybe now! What a thought.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #10

California
Teri, what is the thickness of the fiberglass lip & what is the gap like when the top is clamped? (The 1/8 seal just fits mine.)

I may need to extend the lip a 1/4 inch as it is bit shorter at the front center. First I need to router an edge on the pop up section's wood frame for a better fit & more even gap as it is catching on the lower fiberglass & not sealing as tight as it can against the lower wood frame.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #11

California
Registry
Weather seal done

Well, I got the weather seal from R and P on Friday and went out this afternoon and put it on the pop-top. It is 1/8 in and was a bit tight. I have one spot that isn't on all the way.

I will get pics tomorrow I hope. I need to get out there and finish sewing the replacement canvas.

I am glad to have the weatherstripping done, the top feels tighter and hopefully won't have any problems with the framing for the pop up mechanism.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #12

California
Teri, you can sand the lip to thin it out where you need to get your seal to fit.

I've reworked the lip on mine, adding & deleting material where needed for a more consistent gap. (Using a cardboard template cut for min / max gap for a quick check.)

Parchment paper over a board acted as a form for adding material. Grayish material is the extended / squared up lip at the middle front. (I use Everglass Fiberglass Reinforced Filler by Evercoat -- easy to work & shape for filling voids, cracks, holes or adding material.)

The roof on my Campster undulates with high points at the structural cabinet verticals. Blue tape indicates an area marked to remove material with a Dremel Tool & sanding bit.

Currently I'm sanding & prepping for paint on the top before installing the slightly larger black bulb seal pictured with the original.

I'm also adding (and removing) wood where needed to the upper frame and have added a foam strip to the lower frame to create a dust seal there. This buildup is also providing a needed increase in tension on one of the hold down latches. (BTW these are same as Jeep hood latches, with many sources at a modest cost on EBAY.)

Hoping these details & attached photos may be of use to another Campster owner. The pop-top is clever, simple, and effective, but mine requires custom fitting for a good seal. With the wood cabinetry being a structural element, keeping it dry is a primary need.

Mark
- - -
Attached Thumbnails
TrlsWstLip6101.jpg   TrlsWstLip6108.jpg  

TrlsWstLip6094.jpg   TrlsWstTopSeals6078.jpg  

Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #13

Registry
How are you all managing working on the poptop? Especially the back part? I can't reach all of it very well and I am reluctant to put any weight on the roof.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #14

California
Registry
Bobbie,

I used a ladder to get to the exterior sides of the pop-top. It wasn't much of a reach.

Mark here are some pictures of the weatherstripping installed. I didn't take a picture prior to putting on the weatherstripping. The seal with the 5/8 inch bulb looks good on the top now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0274.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg  

IMG_0276.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #15

California
Teri, the fit looks like good. Appears you may have used a black silicon sealant, is that correct? (I have been considering the use in this vertical seal.)

Bobbie, regarding access, one reason I'm doing this work now is with no fabric/screen in place we easily reach many areas from within the trailer. (In my case the original seal took some effort to drill out rivets & peel the glued seal off.) In addition to using a ladder as Teri mentioned, a step stool, or a sturdy pick-nick table may give good access.

Mark
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #16

California
Registry
Mark, No sealant used. My top has a lip that is at a 90 degree angle from the top. The weatherstripping fits well on the lip and is tight enough that I don't think any sealant is needed.

Now I have to get the canvas finished and installed. Lots to do and little time. Hopefully during my holiday break I will have some time to work on the trailer.

I also need to test the propane line. Bobbie, does your gas light in your trailer work? I seem to remember some flickering, was that your post? Is there a manual for the light? I haven't been able to find it.

Teri
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #17

Registry
My light pulses and I have been told that it would be dangerous to use it. I have thought of replacing it with a new one though as I like the idea of having one. With the poptop CO is not a big issue and where I camp the warmth it adds isn't a problem, either.

I hadn't thought of working from inside. Duh. Right now what it needs I can't do from inside without removing the canvas but if I do take it back to Fresno in January I may try working on that. I need to replace a top spring and I can't reach it or even conveniently see it without removing the canvas, which does need replacing. And my weatherstrip needs replacing, too.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #18

California
Teri & Bobbie, if the registration is at hand, what are the serial numbers of your trailers. Mine is #267. May be helpful in noting differences. I did not guess some would have a horizontal lip.

I have the gas lamp but have not tried it. Forum member Harry Young has Trailswest factory papers (scaned as JPEGS) for the gas lamp with parts blow up, stove with parts blow up, ice box with parts blow up and the hand pump with parts blow up. He was going to email them to me so I could convert them & upload as PDF to the document center.
- - -
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #19

Registry
I can check the serial number tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #20

California
Registry
Mark,

The Vehicle id is 0397. It also says it was made in 1970 and first sold in 1971.

Tags
trails west