Translucent gravel shield idea - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Translucent gravel shield idea

We have a pretty small window in our Scamp's front bath. The factory supplied a fiberglass gravel shield to save the glass in case of flying objects (gravel). But it blocks out all light. There are plenty of times during trips when a little natural light in the bath would be welcome. Has anyone replaced their gravel shield with one of translucent lexan or similar? Good idea or silly? I even wonder if I can attach lexan to the window itself and lose the detachable shield that's a bit of a hassle.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You could use translucent plexiglass; lots cheaper and easier to work than Lexan.

Search Results

I think trying to attach it to the glass would be ugly no matter how you did it as you'd have to look at the tape/adhesive and all the junk that leaks behind it through the real window. Not familiar with the Scamp guard hinge setup, so no help there.

You might consider cutting an opening in the gravel shield flat area and attaching a "window" of translucent plastic to let a bit of light in. Could always add a Scamp decal (or something creative) on top of that.

If you didn't have to open/close the guard (except for cleaning the window) it wouldn't be much of a problem any more.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Or when you want to use the bathroom remove the gravel shield. Most of remove those thing when we camp. When we're on the road traveling, we us restaurant or rest area bathrooms. Many RVers don't like to use the on-board bathroom since it means emptying the black water tank sooner.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #4

Name: Eva
Trailer: Scamp 13 plus home-built
California
you could do like we do on boats: install the Lexan shield with bolts (in the case of the small window, 6 should suffice), with 1/2" stand-offs (bits of tubing), so that there is a 1/2" space between the two panes for cleaning, and to prevent them touching when things move. I had installed such a "storm shutter" on the front port of my boat for an ocean crossing, and just left it in place after, because it did not interfere with light and visibility. I'll dig out a photo in a bit
boardlady is offline   Reply With Quote