Transporting a Bigfoot trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Sounds like we're on the right track! And yeah, I agree with Ron, too. As the transporter, a contract can definitely be protective.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We drove over 2200 miles one way for our Bigfoot Silver Cloud from Chicago to Eugene, OR and back. However, it would have been different if I were expected to drive by myself, although our Bigfoot is 28' long. On the way back, we had sway issues I could not have handled. We also got stuck in a snowstorm, so if you do go, best go now.

CindyL
Old 07-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #23

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Thank you Cindy. I do agree now is the time. I also lived in Oregon for some time and miss it! I decided just this morning to take Ron up on his offer to bring it home after he visits his family in the Chicago area. While it is always hard to spend the money I believe it is the best route. While I have absolutely no qualms with the seller, Ron as a Bigfoot owner can also check out its' integrity beyond my FaceTime close up of the trailer and that is invaluable to me.
So this is a win for everyone - except for my bank account. I will get it home and take short trips in the Northwest including Montana (first) and Canada. At that point I believe I will be good to go.

Thank you again,

Jeanne
Jeanne E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #24

Washington
Many Thanks

Many Thanks to all of you for posting your suggestions. As a matter of challenges with the search to find transportation of my trailer I will tell you what my experience has been.

I contacted 5 RV dealers in the Spokane area. None were helpful with problem solving transporting the trailer and all said they "did not do that themselves. One said he had never been asked the question before. I also contacted Indianapolis dealers who reiterated they did offer that service either.

I worked with one vendor from Craigslist in Indianapolis who had a flatbed where the trailer would have to be winched or lifted with a forklift. Recommendations were that probably wasn't the best route. That person had no insurance.

I contacted 4 private transportation companies, one recommended by a RV dealer, only one of which gave me a bid to pull the trailer. That bid was the highest at 4,500.00.

Uship, beyond the private transportation companies sought one contractor who provided the next to the highest bid and Uship could give me no reliable information about the vendor.

Fiberglass RV provided the most helpful information and it was through here that I chose someone to pick up the trailer. I encourage anyone looking for this service to try here first, particularly since their knowledge of pulling fiberglass trailers provides insight to any challenges they may experience.

I also contacted Bigfoot and they have not responded to my email or phone message.

As a matter of note the bids ranged from 1,650 to 4,500; the lowest stating 1650 was a "starting point."

I probably missed a couple of other explorations to get the trailer here but this at least I hope will be helpful to others.

Jeanne
Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Don't think of the cost to your bank account. Think of the cost of not doing it. Sounds like one of those deals where you can't afford not to do it!
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
$4500 sounds high, but not ridiculous. Ballpark number I have been using is $2 per one way mile.

$1650 on the other hand seems ridiculously low.

Personally I would not trust Craigslist.

Ten days to do a 3800 mile trip? Figure the first half is with no trailer, 70MPH on freeways, should make really good time. I'd figure on picking up mid day on day 3 (700 miles per day), but I am a bit of a road warrior. Trip home I'd estimate at more like 500 miles a day, if you pick up mid day on day three, maybe you can travel 200 miles back with the trailer. That would mean arriving home on day 7, plus any side trips.

I've got an upcoming 1400 mile one way pickup (2800 round trip). Figure on picking up late on day two. Then the rest of day two plus three more days home, for a total of five days. May stretch it to six.

If you are tied to a J O B, then a one week trip, using both weekends = nine days. Very doable. Just make good time on the trip east with no trailer, leaving more time for the return. I wouldn't figure the leg east and leg west to be close to the same time.

Side benefit on your return trip west is the time change is working FOR you. It can really make a difference. There is no free lunch of course, as the trip east the time change works against you.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Just an aside to this 'solved' problem. In most cities or towns there are ramps to load/unload a trailer onto a flatbed truck. I would check railroad yards. Also many firms that service vehicles have truck docks that can be accessed driving through their buildings.

As with many things, cost varies with how charming you are. Anywhere from free to $10 or $20. Beer or chocolate chip cookies might get you access.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #28

Washington
Laughing

Tom, if there was a Facebook "like" on your post you would get one. Maybe 2 beers and my "charming" company. Then again he/she could say "no way lady."
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #29

Be careful and aware

USHIP is good, but don't agree to do it with anyone who says they can do it outside of USHIP cheaper, then asks for $$ up front for gas. You can get taken, and lose the money sent. Anyone reputable will only ask for money when delivered.

Also, make sure they have insurance. You don't want to lose the Bigfoot and the money paid. I'd go get it yourself. Ask the seller if they can store it until you can go, or have them take it to a storage facility until you can go.
Rob and Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #30

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
North Carolina
ShipTrailer

My Casita got hit by a semi but was still completely towable. Sent it down to the factory in Texas for repair. Used UShip and worked great. A young guy delivered a boat to North Carolina and needed a shipment home. He bid $640 for NC to TX trip with payment upon delivery in TX using payment release code. He hooked up to bumper hitch on his F350 and towed it away. Coincidentally, he lived 40 miles from Rice TX so was a match made in heaven. I was completely satisfied. JP
Ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #31

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape Trailer Industries 5.0TA
Missouri
I have a son in Seattle. Pulled a 17' Casita on that route last year. PM me with your requirements.
skipperclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #32

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
Check Young Transport on Facebook. Brent Young did a great job picking up our Escape and delivering as scheduled, and at a fair price.
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #33

Name: Corinne
Trailer: Market
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne E View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a 17' Bigfoot trailer. My challenge at this point is how to get the trailer from Indianapolis to Spokane, WA - approximately 1,900 miles. Taking a round trip road trip to get it home would ultimately take 10 days so my preference is to look at other options.I am able to go as far east as Billings Montana to reduce the east to west journey of a transporter so am flexible. Creative ideas anyone?
Hi why don't you ship by train probably less that way. Just a thought.
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #34

Name: Jason
Trailer: Still researching
Alabama
My 2 cents

Fly to Indiana, rent a pickup from Uhaul, and tow it home yourself insured. Takes about the same time as driving halfway, and you don't have to depend on others.
Jasoninalabama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot