Transporting a Bigfoot trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Transporting a Bigfoot trailer

I am in the process of purchasing a 17' Bigfoot trailer. My challenge at this point is how to get the trailer from Indianapolis to Spokane, WA - approximately 1,900 miles. Taking a round trip road trip to get it home would ultimately take 10 days so my preference is to look at other options.I am able to go as far east as Billings Montana to reduce the east to west journey of a transporter so am flexible. Creative ideas anyone?
Jeanne E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try Uship
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
A little over a year ago I’d offer to get it if you covered expenses...but I’ve got a more regular job now. If you move in the right circles I’m sure you know someone who knows someone who knows a person with a truck who does this type of stuff. I see pickups hauling trailers with 2 to 4 vehicles fairly often, and I’m assuming a lot, but they look to me like a pickup/delivery service for sometimes used car lots, sometimes maybe private individuals who bought at auctions or online.

In any case congratulations on the Bigfoot! I hope you got a good one. I love mine.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #4

New York
I've seen ads on craigslist for transport services. A friend bought a big 5th wheel camper in North Carolina and the dealer arranged shipping to upstate NY, so check with some RV dealers as they probably know people that will do it.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #5

New York
I just did a quick google search for camper trailer transport companies and several options came up. Uship was listed several times. Note that some of those I found are probably brokers and do not do the transport themselves. That is what Uship is basically.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
There’s ads on Spokane craigslist for RV transport. Also I know on some of the the fiberglass fb pages people spoke of small companies they have used to transport, one was Young transport, has a fb page and apparently on Uship to transport a new Escape and a Scamp.
How exciting for you, congratulations.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Washington
Big Thank You

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am going to follow up on those this morning. I actually hadn't thought of Craigs List or the local RV dealers. I did put a bid in for UShip. Only one bid on Spokane for the tune of 2,600 and change. Several responded to Billings Montana (a 14 hour round trip for me to meet them.) No one was under 1,750. "Gas ain't cheap" which is a valid comment for the bidder to Spokane.

Jeanne
Old 07-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Washington
What size is the Bigfoot?
rldr4574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #9

Washington
Forget my last, I see it’s 17 ft.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #10

Washington
I may have an interest, how soon do u want it in Spokane?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #11

Washington
Bigfoot Transport

I do not have a sense of urgency in getting it here but I would need to know quickly and a ball park price. PM me if you are interested.

Jeanne
Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #12

Montana
And if we're going this route, please get references for the person, and write a contract, signed, with a witness.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #13

Washington
Zach, I possibly missed a post but thought you said you were not readily available. Please PM me. I am happy to talk further.
Jeanne
Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #14

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Here are a few things to think about:

The operative word in "travel trailer" IS travel. I would just go get it myself and make it a really enjoyable trip. Since it is twice as far as Billings it would be twice as enjoyable. That being said, a really important thing to be sure of is insurance while it is being transported. No individual you find on Craigslist is going to be licensed to transport freight (which is what it would be) or have cargo insurance. Persons in that business have to have a DOT number, fuel tax stickers and keep a log book to prove they only drove 11 hours and took a 10 hour break etc. Then what is the plan if a wheel bearing goes out and a wheel comes off of the trailer while someone else is pulling it?

There are trucking companies that do LTL (less than load) shipments. It would only take up part of a 53' flatbed trailer that had ramps to allow vehicles to be loaded. That would leave room for whatever other vehicles or freight. Then there are companies that transport RVs exclusively and meet DOT requirements. Either one is going to charge over $2.00 per mile.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #15

Montana
That's correct, I'm not available. Even if I were, I would hope you'd get personal references for me and ask a LOT of questions.

I'm just saying that while it's perfectly fine to go with some random dude on the internet to pull your trailer, which likely cost you well over $10,000, across the country, there's a lot that can happen even if they're very, very careful. But I'm assuming you've never met this person before. Get references, look into insurance, write a contract. Nothing against Ron but we don't know anything about him. I have dear friends who I wouldn't let anywhere near a truck and trailer.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #16

New York
When I worked for a worldwide truck rental / leasing company we regularly had new trucks delivered by a couple different transport companies that used casual drivers. Some of them had pretty good stories, one being that a driver was delivering a new motorhome halfway across the country. When he didn't show up at the delivery point at the expected time they started tracking him down and found he was using that new motorhome for a personal vacation on the way. Another driver was sent to the correct name city on the west coast and when he got there discovered that he was supposed to be in a city of the same name in the eastern US. Dispatcher error, not the drivers fault.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've used U-Ship a few times to move antique tractors and a 17ft Casita, the latter across the Rockies in a January blizzard from Denver to Portland, Oregon. I had the trailer brought out by flatbed; price was about $900. I don't use the cheapest bidder and do check all reviews and documentation.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #18

Washington
Transport

I completely agree with Zach’s comments. I’ll be more than happy to provide references etc.. I should add that my motivation for doing this is that it provides me with an inexpensive way of briefly visiting with my daughter and son, in the Chicago area and inKearney NE.

I’ll also note that I would be going through Spokane on the outbound trip and would want to meet with Jeannie and sign a contract at that time. A contract is as much in my interest as hers.

With all of that said, I certainly understand any reservations she may have and if she can find an alternative , I’m good with that.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #19

Washington
Thanks Bruce. I also would love to pick it up and agree 100% that is my ideal choice. Having said that, I am not sure a 2000 mile trip back to Spokane with no experience pulling a trailer and traveling with 2 dogs (that will have to go along or be boarded) for a trip back home that I would expect to last 6 days is my wisest choice.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne E View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a 17' Bigfoot trailer. My challenge at this point is how to get the trailer from Indianapolis to Spokane, WA - approximately 1,900 miles. Taking a round trip road trip to get it home would ultimately take 10 days so my preference is to look at other options.I am able to go as far east as Billings Montana to reduce the east to west journey of a transporter so am flexible. Creative ideas anyone?
Jeanne,

Most of the manufacturer's, Scamp, Escape and Casita I believe included, commonly arrange to ship their new trailers to their customers.

As experienced "customers" of transport services, maybe they would be willing to share who they have had success with.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot