Transporting Gasoline - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2003, 12:29 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I bought my EU2000iC a few months back. It'll use alot less petro than you think....

They'll run for about 8 hours on a tank of gas. DC sucks it up faster - no econo mode. Fill it up when you leave home and bring a 2 gallon can with you.

:)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:21 AM   #2

Hi, Dick

I'm the guy you're referring to about the second gas tank on the truck. I think you misunderstood: my Ford F150 has two gas tanks as standard equipment. I didn't (and wouldn't ever bother) to install a second tank. Not even sure how you would do that.

Why not just siphon from your single tank? Just be sure to not let the gas get down too low when you're way out in the sticks!

Here's the URL for that mother-of-all jerry cans. It really is very well made and totally leak-proof. It's just that it's so heavy.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=247

Old 08-03-2003, 07:25 AM   #3

Wait a minute. scenario here -
we get a can.
we siphon from vehicle
we fill gen
we pour back unused fuel
move camp and start over.

can't we just fill the can at the station and put it somewhere?
I'm trying to make it simple, and siphoning, pouring back, and siphoning again, etc. is not simple in my books.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:41 AM   #4

I think we've missed answering Dick's original question. He want to know where to carry the gas. Don't think he wants to siphon.

I'd say if you have a spot on the tongue of the trailer and it's a smaller-type can, lash it down on the tongue.

OR, carry it in the back of the truck under the cap..fully secured. Once you get to where you're going, take it out and set it in a shady spot.

Remember, it's not the gas that's what's highly flammable..it's the fumes!

Old 08-03-2003, 08:14 AM   #5

Dick's original question...

was that he wanted some "first-hand advice on carrying gasoline." He wrote me an email and I answered him that I used my truck's rear gas tank to carry the fuel for my Coleman stove and my E2000. This saves having to carry another tank, and only involves a $.99 siphon from WalMart. It can't much simpler than that. Or lighter.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:52 AM   #6

So for us people who can't siphon out of our tanks, like Ron and probably me, if goes on the tongue of the trailer. got it. :thumb maybe we could get a holder that lets us drop it down in and out with ease. no tip worry.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #7

Dick;

I vote with Donna.

I have a heavy duty molded gas can that is lashed down in the back of the truck while traveling. Sits off by itself in a shady spot after we arrive.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:43 PM   #8

Carrying Fuel

I'm thinking we'll probably wind up with a plastic can, 5 gallons, only fill it up about half way, & carry it in the stern of the pickup bed. That should keep it from sloshing high enough to escape.

I was in hopes someone knew of a "baffled" type that would negate the sloshing action from, stopping, turning, etc.

I can't siphon as needed due to the same safety/antitheft factor on my FX4 as on RK's Volvo...there's a baffle in the way, presumably to keep fuel from sloshing out during off-road travels.

I'm sure the baffled/theft proof fuel filler necks were mandated by some do-gooder in D.C. intent on protecting me from myself.

In any event, thanks for the response & suggestions!!!

Old 08-04-2003, 06:54 AM   #9

Dick, you'd be better off getting a smaller can and filling it to the top. Remember the fumes. Full cans don't slosh either. Tanker trucks rolling down the road aren't nearly as explosive as those that are only part way filled.

If you think you'd need five gallons total at sometime, I'd say get two cans. Both would probably fit snugly in an apple crate, or one of those plastic totes...NO LID, don't want the fumes to build up.:wave

Old 08-04-2003, 12:37 PM   #10

I would suggest getting a boat gas tank. These are usually 6 gallon, and come in either metal or plastic. They seal securely, have a closable vent on the lid, and dispense gas through a removable hose. The hose fitting seals shut when the hose is removed. You could put the tank on the tailgate, stick the hose end in the generator tank, tilt the boat tank to start gas flowing, and when you are done, it all seals up tight. Another advantage, is that boat tanks are short and squat - they won't tip over in the back of your truck.