Traveling with mountain bikes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
From your picture, it looks like he is towing a snowball.
LOL I think thats what happens when you try and change an Airstream into a fiberglass trailer. Better to just buy the fiberglass trailer to start with
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
From your picture, it looks like he is towing a snowball.
ROTFL....... no I-b. The trailer is in disguise to camouflage it's true identity.

Anything A............m in these parts is like throwing a monkey wrench into a gear box.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
At times I will carry two bikes in my pickup bed. I took two Thule wheel trays that have the arms that clamp on to the bike lower frame tube. I mounted the two wheel trays on two lengths of 2 X 4 lumber at 90 degrees to them, set this arrangement in the truck bed and mount the bikes. Something like this could be used inside the trailer. Those double extenders are not good as they change the load on the vehicle receiver.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #24

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Like Carol mentioned above, there are pricy aluminum racks that can be had.
I mounted one made by Fiamma to the rear of a friends 19' Airstream Bambi. That rack is made specifically for Airstreams though. It is a very nice custom system that is extremely light weight. It is carrying 2 sub 30 pound mountain bikes with no real effect on towing. Fiamma chose to mount the rack to the trailer wall in lieu of a bumper receiver. It however does attach at the bottom to the bumper mounts to take care of most of the vertical loads.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #25

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
A vehicle with real old fashion rain gutters can actually carry a bunch of weight. Our old mountain bike race team GMC full sized passenger van had a Yakima system up top. It was just a 2 cross bar affair with 4 troughs for bikes. We only put 4 25# bikes on it, but it could support much more weight. 500# would not deflect the rain rails. I don't know how much weight the Yakima brackets were rated for, but they were very secure.
That said, many of the newer vehicles do not have gutters, and make rack attachment sketchy.

A full sized truck can carry some serious cross bar racks that can carry a whole ton of toys, but it doesn't make as much sense when doing grocery getting back home. Nothing is perfect.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Like Carol mentioned above, there are pricy aluminum racks that can be had.
I mounted one made by Fiamma to the rear of a friends 19' Airstream Bambi. That rack is made specifically for Airstreams though. It is a very nice custom system that is extremely light weight. It is carrying 2 sub 30 pound mountain bikes with no real effect on towing.
I traded in a very heavy (and expensive) Thule bike rack that I never did get to stop bouncing around or swaying when I used it on my car for a light weight Kuat Bata rack that weighs only 11lbs. I think the Bata is one or if not the lightest racks you can get. It also has a couple of built in features that makes it the most solid (read least movement) rack I have ever owned. Folds up and out of the way nicely on the back of the trailer when no bikes are on it. I also added a bolt that goes up from the underside bottom of the trailers hitch to make it even harder for it to move. I do need to add a bungee cord or two to keep the bike from doing any movement though. So far I have used the rack on the trailer only with a light road bike (15 lbs) loaded on it, with no ill effect to the towing experience. I traded my heavy mountain bike for a fairly light hybrid bike (25lbs) a couple of years ago but I have not towed with it loaded on the rear rack yet. If and when I do I will need to add a little more weight ahead of the trailer axle to compensate for it though.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
extreme alternative.....
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's High tech bike rac.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I did weld a hitch on the Scamp13 bumper. It can be dangerous though so you must be very careful but it can have 2 bikes on the back. 3, no way, its all about weight of course and balance. My bike rack is as light as I could fine and I have towed 2 light mountain bikes back there to Moab and back with no issues, with proper trailer loading. And may other places. The problem you have is fishtailing so its really not recommended unless you know how to do it right. Light rack, light bikes. I have considered 2 folding bikes and storing in the Yakima sky box on the roof as well.
shawn bertagnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here is our solution on our Scamp...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0045.JPG   scamp pictures 013.jpg  

scamp pictures 006.jpg  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 AM   #30

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks again, folks. I appreciate all the responses I get when I post here. I am always enlightened and sometimes amused, like, Ice-Breaker, that is not for real, is it?!?
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #31

Nova Scotia
Registry
Floyd, I really like your set up!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #32

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
We often travel with two road bikes on a rack on the rear of our scamp 13', using Scamp's factory installed receiver. Bikes plus rack keep us well within Scamp recommended weight limit for the rear mount and we haven't noticed any handling issues with the reduction in hitch weight. Your mountain bikes may however be heavier.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
... I am always enlightened and sometimes amused, like, Ice-Breaker, that is not for real, is it?!?
The picture of the car with the multiple kayaks on the roof was not mine, but appears to be real. I have little doubt that they used this method to get as many kayaks as possible to the put-in with as few vehicles as possible. It is likely that they only had to drive a relatively short distance though.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #34

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
I have a similar setup with the bike rack in front. My dad and brother fabricated a 2" receiver on the front to hold the bike rack, and when I need it for my short trips I can take it off and use it on my truck. Kuat makes an awesome bike rack that only weighs 13lbs, has an integrated lock system, folds completely flat, and fully adjusts so the rack doesn't rattle at all!! I've been so happy with this setup!! You can check out all the photos on my Scamp Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/852767154753403/

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #35

Registry
Kaitie I have the same Kuat rack was well and love it! Owned a lot of $$$ racks over the years and have to say its the best yet in particular as to how stable it is.

I took a look at your FB page - thats a very cool/interesting way of mounting it!!! hummmmmm
Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #36

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thank you everyone who took time to give advice - hopefully we will have a better set up this summer.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #37

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
We travel with 2 mt bikes 2 kids bikes and 3 kayaks. We have the trunk attaching bike rack currently and kayaks on the roof and one inside the van. We are shopping for a bike rack that hooks into the hitch and has a hitch to hook up to the camper. So the bikes are hitch mounted between the car and camper. I think that would be ideal
Compare Roadmaster Dual vs Curt Dual 2" | etrailer.com

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I didn't know about those hitch receivers-the first will solve my single bike carry problem...thanks!
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #38

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421012494.681674.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	79672
I use the Kuat two bike rack. It folds up against the spare tire when not in use. It's an awesomely solid rack! Highly recommend it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote