Traveling with mountain bikes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
This guy is resourceful. Bikes could go on a rack on the front of the vehicle. Wouldn't be my first choice though.
Attached Thumbnails
yukon air 1.jpg  

Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Well, I guess I should comment that we have a receiver on the back of our 4500. We have put a cargo platform, and a bike rack there. No problem. When we had the cargo platform, we ended up with such a low tongue weight that the hitch was bouncing up and down and clunking. I stopped at a closed weigh station to check. We only had 30 kg, (66lb) on the tongue. No sway, but the clunking was driving me crazy. There was a tap on the side of the building. I loaded up all the water containers I had and put them in the gaucho. Tongue weight went up to 80 kg, (176 lb). Still light for a 2400 lb trailer, but at least it was not clunking anymore. The bike rack, with two large bikes, and a small kids bike was no problem in comparison.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
We are shopping for a bike rack that hooks into the hitch and has a hitch to hook up to the camper. So the bikes are hitch mounted between the car and camper. I think that would be ideal
Compare Roadmaster Dual vs Curt Dual 2" | etrailer.com

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
When considering this type of set up, you really need to watch your tugs tongue weight specs. Add the trailers tongue weight, bike rack (many weigh 35lbs or more - you will need to buy a newer pricey light aluminum rack to get the weight down), receiver (7-10lbs) and a couple of mountain bikes (22 to 50lbs each) to it and your total tongue weight is going to jump up, Not to mention the strong possibility of the rack and bikes bouncing up and down right at the hitch may not be the nicest tow you have every had especially if pulling with a smallish SUV type tug.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
You could try using a fairly wide roof rack and carry both bikes and both kayaks on the roof of your car. Seems to work ok for these guys with a Subaru.
An example of yet another person who probable has never read the manual. Not something we haven't seen before here

My guess would be it is at or over the roof limit. Subaru has a 150lb limit on the roof of the car in question. The plastic full sized single sea kayaks run between 55 to 70 lbs on average. The mountain bikes depending on their age and build run from 22 to 50lbs each, add on the weight of the rack accessories needed to carry it all .....
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
One thing to watch out for with the bikes mounted between the tug and the trailer is Keeping the bikes out of the propane tanks and trailer making tight turns. I have to mount the bikes high so they are higher than the propane tanks and I have to keep the pedals at the 12 & 6 o'clock position.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
This guy is resourceful. Bikes could go on a rack on the front of the vehicle. Wouldn't be my first choice though.

From your picture, it looks like he is towing a snowball.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
LOL I think thats what happens when you try and change an Airstream into a fiberglass trailer. Better to just buy the fiberglass trailer to start with
Old 09-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #22
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
ROTFL....... no I-b. The trailer is in disguise to camouflage it's true identity.

Anything A............m in these parts is like throwing a monkey wrench into a gear box.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
At times I will carry two bikes in my pickup bed. I took two Thule wheel trays that have the arms that clamp on to the bike lower frame tube. I mounted the two wheel trays on two lengths of 2 X 4 lumber at 90 degrees to them, set this arrangement in the truck bed and mount the bikes. Something like this could be used inside the trailer. Those double extenders are not good as they change the load on the vehicle receiver.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #24

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Like Carol mentioned above, there are pricy aluminum racks that can be had.
I mounted one made by Fiamma to the rear of a friends 19' Airstream Bambi. That rack is made specifically for Airstreams though. It is a very nice custom system that is extremely light weight. It is carrying 2 sub 30 pound mountain bikes with no real effect on towing. Fiamma chose to mount the rack to the trailer wall in lieu of a bumper receiver. It however does attach at the bottom to the bumper mounts to take care of most of the vertical loads.
Russ
Old 09-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #25

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
A vehicle with real old fashion rain gutters can actually carry a bunch of weight. Our old mountain bike race team GMC full sized passenger van had a Yakima system up top. It was just a 2 cross bar affair with 4 troughs for bikes. We only put 4 25# bikes on it, but it could support much more weight. 500# would not deflect the rain rails. I don't know how much weight the Yakima brackets were rated for, but they were very secure.
That said, many of the newer vehicles do not have gutters, and make rack attachment sketchy.

A full sized truck can carry some serious cross bar racks that can carry a whole ton of toys, but it doesn't make as much sense when doing grocery getting back home. Nothing is perfect.
Russ
Old 09-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Like Carol mentioned above, there are pricy aluminum racks that can be had.
I mounted one made by Fiamma to the rear of a friends 19' Airstream Bambi. That rack is made specifically for Airstreams though. It is a very nice custom system that is extremely light weight. It is carrying 2 sub 30 pound mountain bikes with no real effect on towing.
I traded in a very heavy (and expensive) Thule bike rack that I never did get to stop bouncing around or swaying when I used it on my car for a light weight Kuat Bata rack that weighs only 11lbs. I think the Bata is one or if not the lightest racks you can get. It also has a couple of built in features that makes it the most solid (read least movement) rack I have ever owned. Folds up and out of the way nicely on the back of the trailer when no bikes are on it. I also added a bolt that goes up from the underside bottom of the trailers hitch to make it even harder for it to move. I do need to add a bungee cord or two to keep the bike from doing any movement though. So far I have used the rack on the trailer only with a light road bike (15 lbs) loaded on it, with no ill effect to the towing experience. I traded my heavy mountain bike for a fairly light hybrid bike (25lbs) a couple of years ago but I have not towed with it loaded on the rear rack yet. If and when I do I will need to add a little more weight ahead of the trailer axle to compensate for it though.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #27
MC1

Ontario
extreme alternative.....
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's High tech bike rac.jpg  
Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I did weld a hitch on the Scamp13 bumper. It can be dangerous though so you must be very careful but it can have 2 bikes on the back. 3, no way, its all about weight of course and balance. My bike rack is as light as I could fine and I have towed 2 light mountain bikes back there to Moab and back with no issues, with proper trailer loading. And may other places. The problem you have is fishtailing so its really not recommended unless you know how to do it right. Light rack, light bikes. I have considered 2 folding bikes and storing in the Yakima sky box on the roof as well.