traveling with pets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Back to Shopping
Indiana
traveling with pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren and Debbie View Post
Lil Snoozy now at $15,500 for anyone on the forums. Just tell McGaugh RV that we said that so you can get it for that price. We had a buyer but it didn't work out. McGaugh will have it back on their site very soon. Their number is 479-751-2174.
I was the buyer. I want to let future interested parties know, I backed out of the deal NOT because of the condition of the trailer. I drove 584 miles Sunday to pick it up on Monday. I was able to look inside, look underneath the trailer and 'touch and feel' the trailer......it is a FANTASTIC trailer.

I had the check for $16,500 in my hand, that was a great price for the options I was getting. Loren and Debbie did offer this new price of $15,500 the morning I changed my mind about the deal but I was on the highway going 70mph watching out for all the phone talkers and texters while driving around me...I couldn't email or call at that time they made the offer.

Traveling with my dogs were the only reason I changed my mind....the trailer is in great shape and a great buy even at $16,500.

I backed out of the deal because it took me a 584 mile trip to realize that I cannot travel in any size of trailer or RV with my 2 basset hounds and 1 BIG bloodhound.

All explained in detail on my blog at Hounds and RVs
bhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I read your blog and you are letting the dogs control your trip. I travel with 2 labs and at a rally in Kansas met a lady who travels with 6 dogs in a 13' Scamp. You need to discipline the dogs and put them in carriers. Yes you lose the rear end opening but you have 4 doors. One at a time you walk, not all 3 or 2 or 6 . Once that is accomplished, you need to go back and get that Snoozy. Otherwise you are imprisoned by the dogs.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"It was a decision process that 22 months ago I decided I would open my thought process to the public."

Bhounds, Thanks for sharing your blog. You are brave to open your thought process to the public. As you know, it draws Criticism.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bhounds, Just passing along a non fiction book i just finished you and your friends might like.
by Jeff Schettler, Red Dog rising.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
I did not intend to come across so strong, but the dogs can be trained to make your life a little easier, particularly traveling. They also have sedatives for traveling for the dogs.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did not intend to come across so strong, but the dogs can be trained to make your life a little easier, particularly traveling. They also have sedatives for traveling for the dogs.
My m-i-l uses sedatives for her little dog......LOL
When going on little trips and during big storms.

She takes them too..........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have to agree- no idea if a Little Snoozy would be comfy with three big dogs, but crating while traveling is a very good and safe idea. It means you can take out one dog at a time, on your terms. Even if you want all three out, you take each one out, leash it, then reach for the next. I've traveled with five dogs (one a Lab) and as many as three Labs, and once I learned about crates and travel, it got much, much easier. It is also much safer for the dogs and for the driver (who won't be distracted.) And the dogs like crates and will settle in much more comfortably in most cases.

I do think you are right about camping with a bloodhound, though. It's very easy to lose a dog if she'll take off single-mindedly like a bloodhound will. Labs and corgis tend to stick pretty close.

Having said that- sure wish I was ready for a new trailer. But that's a few years away. I like the Lil Snoozy setup a lot. Maybe by the time I am ready it will have moved to the west coast and be ready for me!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #8

Name: Loren and Debbie
Trailer: In the market
Arkansas
Thank you Bhounds for the compliments about our trailer. We totally understood your decision to pass on the Snoozy. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Loren and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Why?

This is a serious question and not ment to be negative in any way.

Why do people need more than one dog when traveling in an RV of any size?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Norm, for me it's the same as the need for a husband/wife, one child (or more)------it's the love and companionship. You bet it's a pain to travel with two pugs----tons of shedding hair, poop scooping, they can't get overheated ---etc, etc. But frankly, it can be a pain traveling with hubby (married 42 years---known him 47). He gets bored, paces, needs television, stays up late-------exact opposite of what I'm looking for in my camping experience. The pugs, on the other hand, like to enjoy nature, people watch, take short walks and long naps and snuggle.

Why more than one???? Why more than one kid, or friend, or potato chip????? Diversity, community, experience, fun. Every choice will add something and subtract something. In this case bhounds has discovered having his 3 dogs trumps traveling in a small camper.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
It's not the need........most often the pet is part of the family and traveling with them is like traveling with a child. One can't just leave them at home.

We moved across the US with 3 cats and 1 dog. Crates are a must...in case you get into an accident.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #12

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This is a serious question and not ment to be negative in any way.

Why do people need more than one dog when traveling in an RV of any size?
I had 3 dogs 3 years before "rv" "camping" "fulltime on the road" was even part of my vocabulary. I never planned on have a 3rd dog until I saw a perfecty good basset hound on a rescue service. I have had more than 1 dog since 1987, at times only 1....why more than 1...can't answer.

But if your question was directed to me... just to make it simple for you....I did not decide to rv and then decide ....oh I need three dogs to go rving.

I just happened to have three dogs at the time I thought it might be nice to do a different type of traveling from all the blogs I have read. I have traveled to 15 different countries, over 30 states, hiked the Rockies and Cascades and camped in a tent for weeks at a time, took a solo bicycle trip across the usa and up the Pacific coast....all without a trailer or rv. Of course the dog(s) I had at the time stayed home during all those trips with a house sitter.

I apologize if offended but from reading some of the comments in this thread I would have thought I was just born yesterday. I was warned not to get on the computer today and not to comment and now I can see why.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #13

New York
Easy easy.......

There are so many people that travel and even full time with their pets. Once they figure out the routine...things will work out.

Is all about getting into a routine. I'd rather travel with my pets than...............oh well...you get the picture.

Smile.......it's all good!

Different strokes for different folks....some have no clue and are not open to change or reason...but it can be done!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #14

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You need to discipline the dogs and put them in carriers. Yes you lose the rear end opening but you have 4 doors.
I know all about carriers. All the puppies were kenneled indoors until they were house broken. All at different years because they are after all different ages.

I also know my vehicle. I know for the correct kennel a dog must be able to turn around inside the crate as a minimum. I know that 3 crates that size will NOT fit in the back of my H3 unless 2 of them are stacked....stacked kennels for any distance is not going to happen in my H3.

I do know that the way the front seats are designed....that none of my three dogs would have the room to climb over or BETWEEN the seats to get into the front seats to go out either the driver or passenger door. So without the back door that leaves only the two back doors.

And this is my last reply to this forum.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
my pets are the reason I bought a rv, so they do not have to be put in a kennel.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
traveling with pets

moved from another thread
Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #17

New York
We actually bought ours specifically to move across the US. Didn't want to subject them to a plane ride in the cargo hold.

My four legged "kids" are not cargo per se.....they are my precious cargo.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I'm sure someone will find the Snoozy a perfect trailer for them. Best of luck
Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #18

Florida
Thank you all for your responses. I understand how a pet can be a companion. Mine is Ginny...now if I could only convince her I need a second or third or six....

Steve, wish you well in resolving your need for more space. We used to travel in a motorhome and frequently would meet people with multiple larger dogs who successfully traveled. Having the power train and living accomodations together provides more options. There are a number of fiberglass Class C units that might meet your needs. Before we dicovered our Scamp we considered a Born Free.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I understand how a pet can be a companion. Mine is Ginny...now if I could only convince her I need a second or third or six....
LOL Norm if Ginny reads that and takes it the wrong way she may well consider allowing you to find another sooner than you think!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #20

Florida
Carol,
Ginny rarely reads FGRV however I did read my reply to her and she gave a hearty laugh quite sure of her position...plus she always tells me that she sharpens her nails..not against me but any one else.

She claims there's no one better...of course I'm not sure of that and it keeps me on my 'tows'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16