Travelling in a Burro! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Burro 13 ft, 1984
Massachusetts
Travelling in a Burro!

I just drove across country in my 1984 Burro! I went from Massachusetts to St. Petersburg Florida for a conference and then on to California - first Three Rivers near Visalia and then Paso Robles near San Luis Obispo. From Florida I took I-10 all the way except for the I-8 Phoenix bypass, and had no problems at all. The weather was fine, there was cell service all the way (I also had a gps just in case) and no mountains to speak of. The trailer pulled fine even in some high wind areas and sometimes I even forgot it was back there. I stayed mostly in truck stops and once in a Walmark parking lot (I called ahead to make sure they were RV friendly) and never had any trouble. I'm 72 years old and I was traveling by myself with my dog. So if anyone is thinking of doing something like this and feeling doubtful - go for it!!
wenrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sounds like a good trip Wendy. What motor do you have in your Burro and what kind of mileage did you get?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Ria

Name: Ria
Trailer: Looking to buy soon
North Dakota
Sounds fabulous! I am thinking I would like to do some traveling by myself with my dog and being as I am 20 years younger, you have given me a boost of confidence. Sounds like you had a great time!
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Wow! I want to camp with you!! (Also a Massachusetts person heading cross country soon.)
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Burros kick ass! (pun intended)
And apparently so do you!
Glad it went so well for you.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Hi All,
I'm towing my Burro with a 2008 Honda CRV, and the trailer weighs 1500 pounds. That's a bit high for a 13 footer from what I've read, but it has some modifications that added to the weight. In any case, for the 4500 miles I've gone so far the average is 16.5 mpg. I love the CRV but it doesn't get the greatest gas mileage on its own, only around 25 mpg for context. It's been (being!) a great experience, people have been very friendly and helpful. At the conference in St. Petersburg the hotel let me park in the back with the service vehicles and one of the valet guys even parked it for me with no charge! I'm planning to be in CA another couple of weeks and then back to MA via I-40. The journey continues!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

Name: Suzanne
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Wendy, Where in California? I am in Studio City, near Burbank, and have a lovely curb for you to use.
Suzanne
Suzanne StudioCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #8

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne StudioCity View Post
Wendy, Where in California? I am in Studio City, near Burbank, and have a lovely curb for you to use.
Suzanne
Hi Suzanne,
Thanks, that's so nice of you! I'm heading to Berkeley in a few days to visit family - they have a place for me to park. Then back to Massachusetts in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

Name: Gregg
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13ft.
Arizona
Smile Let's Burro rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenrob View Post
I just drove across country in my 1984 Burro! I went from Massachusetts to St. Petersburg Florida for a conference and then on to California - first Three Rivers near Visalia and then Paso Robles near San Luis Obispo. From Florida I took I-10 all the way except for the I-8 Phoenix bypass, and had no problems at all. The weather was fine, there was cell service all the way (I also had a gps just in case) and no mountains to speak of. The trailer pulled fine even in some high wind areas and sometimes I even forgot it was back there. I stayed mostly in truck stops and once in a Walmark parking lot (I called ahead to make sure they were RV friendly) and never had any trouble. I'm 72 years old and I was traveling by myself with my dog. So if anyone is thinking of doing something like this and feeling doubtful - go for it!!
I'm located in Fort Mohave,Az. close to Laughlin Nevada,if your in the area,get in touch. Proud owner of an 1982 (13) foot too
Gregg Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #10

Name: Gregg
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13ft.
Arizona
gregg2190@yahoo.com
Gregg Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro