Treating window seals. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Treating window seals.

For years I have always use a good quality spray silicone on the weatherstripping seals in my automobiles. I would spray the silicone onto a rag first and then wipe it into the weatherstripping seal around the door. This has always worked very well and reduced both wind noise and doors ever freezing or sticking in the winter.

I am wondering if it is safe to use good silicone spray for the window seals in my Scamp. Specifically I would want to apply it on the outside to keep water beading off the seal nicely.

I don't see why I couldn't do this, however, I would just like to check first to make sure I don't destroy my seals with this silicone.

Thanks all.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
The windows are sealed with butyl. There's no need to treat the seals, and you really can't get to them anyway without pulling the windows. If you're talking about the rubber material along the edges of the window frames, you can keep it looking new with a little 303 protectant. That same protectant can go on all the plastic bits to retard yellowing, and on the tires as well. I'd be reluctant to use any form of silicone anywhere on the trailer exterior, because nothing sticks to it, and it's very difficult to remove. For the same reason, most manufacturers will tell you never to use silicone caulk on the exterior.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I realize that you are talking about weather strip seals used around the panes of glass rather than the butyl tape that is used under the window frame when the window is being installed into the opening in the shell.

Many of the older trailers have vinyl types of window seals. They will indeed harden and shrink with age due to UV and the loss of plasticizers.

There are some products around (vinyl softeners) that help with softening those seals again and also protect from UV damage. The one I like to use is "Mothers Back to Black" which is available in many auto parts stores. There are other brands which do the same thing, just talk to the auto parts sales persons. The seals don't have to be black, the product is white colored.

The process I use is I take out the seal and slather on some of the liquid over all the surfaces of the seal, put it into a zip lock bag and let it sit for a day or two to fully absorb the product into the seal. Then wash the product off and put the seal back in place. It has rescued several seals for me including the very stiff ones for the tail lights on my 1980 Sunrader.

Sometimes the seals have hardened to the point where they are simply too far gone at which point they should be replaced. I was able to find a lot of the replacement seals or at least viable substitutes for my 1970 Campster sliding windows so I opted to replace them as they did not respond to the vinyl softener ... too much long term UV damage.

Some of the new versions of the window seals are being made in silicone which has a longer lifespan than the original vinyl products. I know that Vintage Trailer Supply is now having some of their seals made with silicone. So if you can upgrade to any of those then you won't have to do that chore of treating them to prevent damage
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Pure silicone paste on the rubber parts 1-2 times a year here. Esp the side that gets a lot of sun when stored. It slows down the aging of the rubber. Works on the rubber door seals in autos also.

One variety:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trident-S...tive/106951867
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Sorry for the confusion with my terminology, yes I mean the rubber weather strip seals.

That pure silicone product looks awesome, unfortunate they do not carry it at walmart in Canada.

I will use my quality spray on the rubber weather strip seals until I can source some of that pure paste.

Thanks all.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
weather seals

I think whatever floats your boat not to go into a 5 paragraph rant do what you want!

Now one thing do not spray you dash excessively and leave it in the sun. Don't ask me how I know this it looked oh so nice at first!
bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #7

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Auto engine belt that has been soaked in 303 will last the age of the car. Windshield wipers soaked in it will give much better service, spray some 303 on the wipers every six months. 303 should work better than silicone spray.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're talking about the black vinyl/plastic strips that are on top of the glass on the outside of the window... those are called "Glazing Bead." I only mention this, because if you ever need to replace them, it's nice to know what something is called so you can search for a supplier.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
ron I have to ask what is 303 I want some?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Yes its safe. Its very safe. Its so safe you wouldn't believe it.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
ron I have to ask what is 303 I want some?

bob
303-aerospace-protectant

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ace-protectant
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #12

Name: Judy
Trailer: scamp
Minnesota
leaky window

I have pulled one of my scamp windows, replaced the butyl tape, cleaned out the drain slots, put it back in tightly enough that extra tape squeezed out of the top and and in some other places however it still is leaking.
This thread implies that the window itself might leak. Did I read correctly?

And I totally did not understand any of the stuff about glazing bead except its name, if that's what I need.
JudyG is offline   Reply With Quote