Tremclad, Rustoleum, etc.: your experience? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Tremclad, Rustoleum, etc.: your experience?

I'm finally at the point of painting inside and outside.

I read many thread about painting. There are discussions about many different options. Here's a very narrow question, maybe two: Has anybody painted the outside of their fiberglass trailer with Tremclad/Rustoleum a few years ago? Are you still satisfied?

Thanks!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #2

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Besides automotive paint, the only thing I would "paint" a fiberglass trailer with is Magnet Paints Monstaliner. I have no association with them, but they make the best damn coating out there. It's a UV permanent truckbed liner. No cheap/sharp crumb rubber. It's smooth, but wavy. You could apply it completely smooth too if you use a brush. You can also spray it for a more aggressive texture than the roller. You can get it in all kinds of colors, and it adds strength to the shell. I will be going this route on my Scamp 16. Not sure yet if it will stay white, or match my soon to be monstalined vehicle with "Road Rash" (insanely bright Orange.)

Oh and this stuff is AMAZING for floors too.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I have worked with fiberglass most of my life as a hobby. my suggestion about painting a trailer that has a good gelcoat is DON'T paint it. There are lots of products that bring back the shine and make it look good. If you really have to paint it, I suggest going to a boat supply shop and asking them for the best products they have. You may have to use a special primer. The only other suggestion is find a body shop that specializes in painting Corvettes for advice.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Quebec
The trailer was beige originally. It was a dull gray when I got it. I can't possibly try to revive the beige gelcoat.

I had to sand and prime...and I do have to paint this 41 year old camper.

I will use Corrostop, a Rustoleum/Tremclad-like paint that has a flexible plastic finish. I understand that if I use better stuff I'll have a better and more durable finish. I've read that a lot of FGRV members have had good results with similar paints even though many others would never think of putting that on their trailer. My questions were aimed at the former. They didn't post in this thread but I seeked them out and they all told me that their paint job still does the job.

I had to pick side and I did!

I've used that paint on FG canoes that I took in water (obviously!) and that spent many summers in the sun without any change in color or finish. So we'll see what happens. I feel like I did my homeworks and I'll take full responsibility for the results, good or bad, like I've been doing from the start of this - too long! - project.

Thanks everyone for the input, in this thread, in others and through private message!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Tremclad, Rustoleum, etc.

I have only one suggestion, I am assuming that you are planning on doing the work yourself, so the product(s) you select is/are the main cost of this step. The preparation work is probably worth more than the cost of the final product no matter which product you select. The front of your trailer will be covered in mosquitoes and flies during summer trips and will be hard to clean unless your finish has a hard shine that takes firm rubbing and cleaning without damage, it will be hit by road debris at highway speed. The complete trailer will be covered by one gallon of paint or less. So the cost of the paint is probably the least of your cost and will have the most effect on the outcome of your effort. good luck with your decision
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
I used rustoleum topside. Bought it at Lowes. Worked great.
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #7

Quebec
Thanks Todd! How long ago was that?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #8

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
2011. I keep it in the garage which helps with sun damage. Paint has really held up nicely.
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have used both with no problems. Prep work must be good.