Trill noob - Wondering re rain setup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Registry
Trill noob - Wondering re rain setup

We've only had 3 nights in our Trillium. We sleep 4 of us with the windows open and the fan running. This helps dissipate the new glue fumes. Nice comfortable. However we are wondering what we will do in the rain. I assume we will need to turn the Fantastic fan off. We don't have a door window (the mfg had none in stock) and I'm thinking the side window + screen won't stop the rain from coming in as it is right in the edge of the awning.

When windows become available we will have the door window installed and we will also have the Fantastic Fan "hood" (name?) installed.

I rather have a plan before our first middle-of-the+night rain than wake up wet.

We're so new at this, maybe this is a dumb request, and if so, my apologies. Any tips much appreciated!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is a link to the maxxair vent cover that I have over my fan.

Fan/Mate | Latest

I am trying to remember the name of the window vents. Joy & Floyd both have them on there trailers.

Found them. LOL

Window/Maxx | Latest

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPaul View Post
We've only had 3 nights in our Trillium. We sleep 4 of us with the windows open and the fan running. This helps dissipate the new glue fumes. Nice comfortable. However we are wondering what we will do in the rain. I assume we will need to turn the Fantastic fan off. We don't have a door window (the mfg had none in stock) and I'm thinking the side window + screen won't stop the rain from coming in as it is right in the edge of the awning.

When windows become available we will have the door window installed and we will also have the Fantastic Fan "hood" (name?) installed.

I rather have a plan before our first middle-of-the+night rain than wake up wet.

We're so new at this, maybe this is a dumb request, and if so, my apologies. Any tips much appreciated!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
We used a Maxxair II over the Fantastic Fan in our Casita. FF will tell you not to use any cover because they restrict the airflow but I think that mostly applies to the original Maxxair. The II model has more vent area and it works fine. That, and one Windowmaxx gave us excellent crossflow ventilation even in the rain.

(Off topic) By the way, if you find that FF moves too much air even on low, the mfr will send you a resistor to cut the speed. That makes all three speeds usable in our small trailers.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have a canopy that 'just' fits over the door of our Ventura(with two legs spread a bit). This canopy also has mosquito screens and wind walls (that we can't use when the legs are up this high because of the rain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2626_edited-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	37744

Hmmm....now to hit 'send' and see what (if anythin) happened.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #5

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Forgot to say that we don't have a fan - just a plastic vent that winds open/closed. So far it hasn't let in rain and does a good job of keeping the air circulating so we don't get condensation inside the trailer. The canopy is 10 feet square I think.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for the info. We were in a bit of a panic as we were moving on and not expecting any major RV service centers for a while. Today's lesson: RV businesses have no service staff on Saturdays. GNR was kind enough to lend us a step ladder so we could try on a couple hoods and we found the MaxxAir fits nicely, even with the solar panel in close proxinity. For now we will carry it inside the Trill and just pop it over the vent at night if it looks like rain. In fact, that's what's over my head now as I type this.

For the windows, MaxxAir does make window vents but no one had them in stock so instead we covered the window with some no-see-um screening and tied it tight around the window frame with some twine. That'll act as a rain screen for now, but again, we'll have to take it off while driving. (BTW, our first encounter with no-see-ums tonight - nasty little creatures they are. Any tips on what to do about those?)

If I can find a MaxxAir vent in Ontario I will buy it.

As for airflow, I already bought the 10W 4.7 ohm resistor and plan to mod the fan soon. I plan to bypass the 0 position on the 0-1-2-3 switch with the resistor to make it LOW-1-2-3. There is already an IN-OFF-OUT switch so we will use that to turn the fan off. That's the plan so far anyway.

I removed the MaxxAir hood's screen to increase the airflow. The FF already has a screen anyway.

At least we can now sleep in peace!

Tks again.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another solution is to add gutters over your side windows. It will help keep water runoff out of your screens. Here is a link
EZE RV Gutter System -- 50' Box - Product - Camping World
it also comes in 10' sections.
For what it's worth, I have 2 window max vents I'm not using because the screws allowed water to enter the inside. I removed them and sealed the screw holes. But I have a/c as backup.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Interesting re the gutters. Another option to look at. And thanks for the screw-leak heads up!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Fantastic Fan also has another option. I just upgraded mine to the 14 speed with remote
FanTastic Vent - Product - Model 6600
and I put on the clear lid, it really makes the interior bright.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Here is what we've done so far:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ure-47438.html
Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
No see ums...there used to be no see um screen available. Maybe still available. When we had it, it worked as it was supposed to.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Last night we had hard rain and I am happy to report that our MaxxAir Window vent installation was successful - fresh air in but rain stayed outside.

Because of the awning we could only install one but that was all we needed.

Yay!