Trillium 1300 Bargman latch wear / door issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Trillium 1300 Bargman latch wear / door issues

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem: the beveled bolt on my Bargman lock (assume L-400, 1979 Trillium 1300) is badly worn. The door was rehung some years ago (metal plates on the inside) and it probably needs some adjustment. The flat surface of the latch bolt presses against the strike plate (e.g. you need to press against the door to close it), and the continued opening / closing of the latch has worn the bolt quite a bit (e.g. a few mm deep, maybe 4-5 mm wide).

The end result is that the door does not always lock. When you try the handle, the bolt moves a few mm (I'm not sure if it should) and that is enough to get the door to open. Sometimes the door locks, and sometimes it doesn't. It has gotten worse lately.

So, a few questions:
- Should the Bargman L-400 bolt move AT ALL when the latch is “locked”, or is a few mm “normal”? This speaks to the question of “rebuild or replace”.
- I’ve seen some Bargman L-400 rebuild kits on ebay, and scattered throughout these forums. If anyone has used one of these, I will probably have some specific questions (e.g. does a replacement bolt come as part of the kit). I might pony up the extra cost for a rebuild kit off of ebay if the odds of success are good.

I will consider rehanging the re-hung door: the metal plates are sturdy, but things have loosened over time.

I’m going to decide between fixing the Bargman (which includes extending the strike plate out a bit) or replacing the latch with some form of Trimark latch, per examples the forum. I would rather stick with the Bargman for sentimental reasons, but this isn’t a 1957 Ford Mustang that I’m trying to keep as “stock”.

thanks
Stephen
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome

A few mm? That is a lot. Go to a good hardware store. Maybe you can find a replacement for the bolt.

Is the bolt inch or metric?

What is a beveled bolt? Does it look like this:

This is a shoulder bolt. (Picture from Grainger.)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

A few mm? That is a lot. Go to a good hardware store. Maybe you can find a replacement for the bolt.

Is the bolt inch or metric?

What is a beveled bolt?
In this case, "bolt" refers to the metal bar that is thrown/withdrawn when you turn the door latch. Think of "bolt" in the context of a "dead bolt" lock. It's not a threaded fastener (also called a bolt). The bolt on this Bargman is badly worn.

I found a picture of a similarly worn bolt. See the lower image in this expired advert Rare Bargman L400 Door Latch Assembly - Parts Only | Medicine Hat, AB, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

An expert local lock-smith (you know the type - old guy in a shop full of parts) has already shrugged at the assembly.

Anyway, if anyone has some hints, or knows a good machinist ...
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium