trillium 1300 frame crack recall info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/Recal...e.asp?recno=14&

Interesting it is only from 1973 to 1976.

My appologies if this was common knowledge. I just picked up a 73 and I am wondering how I should get the frame reinforced...inside/outside...top/bottom...from under the trailer to the hitch...from under the trailer to past the dimpled bends...solid block of titanium and a big milling machine...

colin
colinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi,
I know and had seen a Trillium 1300 that had 2 plates of metal welded flush by the bend in the front. One plate was on the outside and the second plate on the inside. Repeat on the other side and you should have no worries for at least 30 years or more!
I owned 3 Trillium last year and sold 2 and still own my original 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe that I bought 5 1/2 years ago and my wife and son and I LOVE it! Enjoy yours they are in "MY OPINION" the "Rolls Royce" of the Fiberglass world.

Dave Baston
Michigan
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Here is some information on that from the TrilliumRV site in California.

http://www.trilliumrv.com/Service2.htm

By the way, ours has not had the recall work done, and so far I have not found any cracks yet.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I had a frame crack from a bad (after-market, not Scamp) weld during axle replacement. Welder friend put "fish" plate over some of the crack (I drilled stop-crack hole first) and then welded one sort of trapezoid plate to the frame, plate being deeper than frame. That was essentially the same as replacing that part of the frame with bigger stuf.
Attached Thumbnails
Fix01__Small_.jpg   Fix02__Small_.jpg  

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Here is some information on that from the TrilliumRV site in California.

http://www.trilliumrv.com/Service2.htm

By the way, ours has not had the recall work done, and so far I have not found any cracks yet.
Hi,

Does anyone actually have a Trillium which had that recall work done? No cracks here either, but I would eventually like to get this done, and was wondering if anyone has ever taken pictures of the completed repair work.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/Recal...e.asp?recno=14&

Interesting it is only from 1973 to 1976.

My appologies if this was common knowledge. I just picked up a 73 and I am wondering how I should get the frame reinforced...inside/outside...top/bottom...from under the trailer to the hitch...from under the trailer to past the dimpled bends...solid block of titanium and a big milling machine...

colin
Any of the Trillium 4500's that I've seen have this plate, so you might look at one of them if you get a chance. I think they just expanded the 1300 frame rather than design a new one and then added the plates for additional strength at a known weak point. If I get time I will post a photo. Does anyone know if Trillium used any means of identifying the experimental heat treated frames?
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
FYI - I believe this to be the crack where the bolt goes through mentioned in the Trillium frame recall. My local trailer shop welded a plate on the outside of the frame to reinforce it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked_trillium_frame.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	16343
Old 10-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Thanks for the pic Daniel, I will check my trailer out when I get home
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Had my '73 done when I bought it five years ago. There were no cracks but $100 to the "hitch guy" had side gussets mig welded on both sides. Cheap peace of mind!
What I have found however is that you need to keep an eye on the bolts that hold the fg to the frame. I had mine replaced last year but a low gas station entry ramp bent them both severely. This time I used humongous carriage bolts and ss washers and reversed the whole shebang...heads of the bolts outside...nuts and lock washers inside. Nothing to catch and rip on those nasty concrete frame-wreckers.
FWIW, I think the Transport Canada recall only applied to the first few production years - the factory stopped heat-treating the metal after that.
Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium