trillium belly band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Hi all - hoping that the mind-trust here (which has proved awesome so far) can help me out:

I removed the belly band ion our Trillium in order to find and seal the 86 extra holes the previous owner drilled throught he shell - thereby rendering our Trillium as water tight as the average colander, and now that I have the holes sealed (fibreglassed) and the trim band re-riveted back on, how eactly do I get the balck rubber back in? Its super stiff and wont go back in - I tried feeding it through from oen end, and it started to split the rubber/ peel off the edges. Is there a tool I can use to get it back in? heat it up first with a heat gun to soften it (it has been pretty cold here lately)??

any suggestions would be great.
Barry Konkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Your best bet is probably to get a new rubber strip (a.k.a. black vinyl insert molding, easily found at RV parts stores), as the old one is probably too stiff and has probably shrunk quite a bit over the years.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Barry,

Great to hear that you've made such good progress! Nothing like 86 fewer improperly sealed holes to improve your Trillium. And a pox on the person who left them like that <_<

I agree with Daniel about buying new strip material. It's pretty cheap and will be fresh and pliable. (I think I saw it on eBay for less than a dollar a foot? ) I saw that it comes in colors too, in case you want to make a design statement

Again, high fives for tackling a big project on your new trailer and having almost finished it.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Heat gun or soak in a tub of HOT water. Was the black strip also a little short? The heat gun or hot water can/may stretch it a bit, but it'll prolly just shrink back anyhow. This stuff is readily available at most well stocked R/V stores...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium