Trillium Belly Band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
My new Trillium's belly band is beyond hope in my opion, the previous owner went crazy with a caulk gun and put several tubes of silcone above, below and behind the black rubber trim on the belly band. I've removed the belly band and have nearly finished removing the crap from around the camper but the aluminum trim will need replacing..I just don't understand why the previous owned done this because there is no sign of any leaks or damage..Does anyone on here know where the aluminum trim can be bought?? The old one might be salvagable but I've fought silicone for 5 days and would rather buy a new trim and throw this one away...THANKS RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Randy,

I empathize with you on the silicone It's awful stuff.

I'm not sure where or if the exact Trillium belly band is available, but for some description of why someone might have caulked it and of the original construction of the band, as well as some discussion of alternatives to the original belly band, you might search for a thread from about a month ago. I posted to it if that helps as a search clue.

Perhaps this thread could be merged with that one (?)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Randy,
If Trillium's belly band is the same width as Scamp's, you can order it by the foot from Scamp's parts store. Here's a link:
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/search.aspx?...Term=belly+band

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #4

Hi Sandra,

The Trillium belly band is completely different from the Boler/Scamp one. Ours is C-shaped and oriented like a ring of Saturn; the Trillium one goes around oriented like you had put a wide rubber band around the trailer (the Trill does not have the outward-turning fiberglass flanges at the join).
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
WWWWHOOOA RANDY!
There's an aircraft aluminum source out of Portland Oregon that has all the mouldings anyone would need for units like ours, including doorways even! Call Camping World in Wilsonville, Oregon and ask for the parts desk. Ask for the "Big Guy" with dark hair and a big bushy beard (he's actually balding). He has the name and number for you. Good luck. I sure hope your rv didn't go poof and open up longitudinally when you removed the band like some do, or you'll never get both hemispheres back together again. Yikes. Good luck!

Quote:
My new Trillium's belly band is beyond hope in my opion, the previous owner went crazy with a caulk gun and put several tubes of silcone above, below and behind the black rubber trim on the belly band. I've removed the belly band and have nearly finished removing the crap from around the camper but the aluminum trim will need replacing..I just don't understand why the previous owned done this because there is no sign of any leaks or damage..Does anyone on here know where the aluminum trim can be bought?? The old one might be salvagable but I've fought silicone for 5 days and would rather buy a new trim and throw this one away...THANKS RANDY
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #6

Okay, I did a bit of searching.

Here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...aded&start=

Also, there is some talk in this thread, starting after about post #10 or so:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=33986&st=0

At one time, Tom (was involved with building Trilliums) posted this image to show the construction. The outside of the trailer is to the right and the inside to the left.

The trick is that when they built the trailer, they riveted to the plates first, then attached the two halves of the trailer together with fiberglass tape on the inside. Now, it one is to re-rivet, it's a bit trickier to keep from going through on the inside (however, if you don't mind pulling back a bit of the Ensolite, it's not difficult to re-fiberglass tape using epoxy resin. It's just a bit fiddly, messy, and time-consuming - but not hard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trillium_seam_drawing.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	23777

Raya
Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #7

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500

Thanks guys for all the help, I've decided to fiberglas the crack around the camper then put on the automobile trim, I've got a friend that owns a body shop and he had 2 rolls he was going to throw away and they are perfect for the job...They are about 1/2" wider than the factory one so that will help hide where I've been scraping the silicone off..I'll post pictures when finished...THANKS AGAIN RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Name: Kurt and Heidi Siens
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ohio
Registry
What can be used to replace the spring clips inside the belly band
heidifella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The folks at Outback / Trillium use stainless steel washers that are sized to work with stainless steel rivets. The trouble is, this is done before the fibreglass strip is applied over the inside. Doing it after the fact seems almost impossible to me. You could try to glue them in then rivet, but how can you line up the washer with the hole on the belly band.
I hate to say it, but you are probably best to just grind a beveled edge in the fibreglass around the seam, and then fibreglass and bondo over the gap. sand it smooth and paint.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
There are several good threads on replacing belly bands here on the forum.

I'll quote one in particular with pictures (my trailer)

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-49308.html

I took the approach mentioned by David -- removing the metal bits, and thoroughly fiberglassing the seam, then painting over the result.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium