Trillium Bunk Bed Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I have a '78 Trillium 4500 which was the model with the toilet, bench, and 2nd sink. I have gutted the far end of the trailer as I would like to build the couch/ bunk beds in as in the other model of the 4500. Is there anyone here who has this model and could send some pictures of the bunk beds and the hinge mount under the window). The other information I could really use (I know I am asking a lot here) is the bench height (from the floor, without cushion) and the height in between the bench and the first bunk,. I realize I don't have much of a choice as far as mounting the backrest/top bunk portion. However it just seems that there is not going to be much room between them. It would be nice if the kids could at least sit up under the top bunk. I have seen Kurt in BC's Boler website which has given me some good ideas, however the Trillium window seems to be much lower. Thank you -Torrey
TorreyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Hi
I can tell you that the top bunk is simply mounted to the wood under the bottm of the front window.

When I pulled my 4500 windows out I first had to remove the top bunk from its position there.

You do want good wood there if someone will be sleeping on it.

I just sold my 4500 so I can not measure the bench height but if I recall it is right at 16 inches to the fiberglass.

Another thing they did to make the top bunk fit as a bench back was the top bunk is two sections with anothe piano hinge joining them.
When it is a bunk the two sections are unfolded and it become the same width as the bottem bunk.

When it is a bench the short end section gets folded under the big section so that it hides behind the big section which is now the bench back. It also provides a slight angle to the back.

Does this make any sense??

These are the best pics I could find of the bench in a hurry.
Attached Images

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Ed. I think I understand what you are saying about the hinge. Unfortunately what I think it should do, and what it actually needs to do, might not always turn out as I had wished . I wen to the "Two Trilliums" website as well. Brenda has some pictures up that I can make out the bunks. I would just really like to see that hinge assembly.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #4

There really is no "Hinge Assembly" at all.
There is a simple Piano hinge attached to the wood peice under the window and then to the top of the backrest section of the bench which becomes the top bunk.

On the other end of the backrest section which becomes the top bunk there is another piano hinge for a small (6" maybe) section which when hinged out flat makes the top bunk the same width as the bottem bench.

Whatever the height of the bench will be will dictate the height of the backrest which becomes the top bunk. So the floding extension peice of the backrest will be the depth of the bench minus the height of the backrest.

It really is not complicated at all but a good picture would certainly tell the story better than I can,even if I shout it.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #5

Ok. That description clears it up more. Does that section have a seperate area of foam and covering? The pic below is what I "think" you are saying. The red ditted line is the piano hinged area.
Attached Thumbnails
bunk.JPG  
Old 04-23-2007, 07:02 PM   #6

If the short ditted portion is the hinge for the window attatchment and the longer section is the extension,then yes that is exactly what I was describing!

The extension portion flips back under or behind the main section when it is made as a bench.
When it is a bunk that section flips out to be even with the big section and form the outer edge of the bunk.

Of course there are also poles to support that outer bunk edge and the hinge supports the inner bunk edge.

I suppose you do not really need the small extension section but then the top bunk would be less wide or deep depending on how you look at it.

I can also say that with the bunk raised and supported,I had no problem sleeping on the bench. That may give and ide of how deep the bench is.
With the thing folded down as a bench with backrest I did find it too cramped to sleep.

It is a little funny that I always wanted to find a 4500 with the configuration you have and people I have talked to with 4500s' like yours seem to want it like I had.

Go Figure?

Ed
Old 04-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #7

Alright I'm on my way then. Thanks for the help Ed. Oh Yeah, was that outer folding section cushioned seperately? How did that work?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #8

The outer folding section looked exactly like the rest of that part.
It had the same type of backing(plywood)the same foam and the same fabric.
When raised and in place as a bunk,the hinge is on the bottem so that it make for a flat entire bunk.

When made as a bunk the hinged small section folds up under and ends up behind the main section/backrest and the backrest angles due to the thickness of the small section.
Very simple but smart design.

If you determine the right height and depth of the bench and then make another board exactly the same size then uou can cut that board so that it fits as the backrest for the bench. Then the remaining peice will be the correct size for the small section of the bunk.

The corners will need to be radiused to match the trailer on both levels but it does sort of work itself out.

Isn't this fun?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
I have a '78 Trillium 4500 which was the model with the toilet, bench, and 2nd sink. I have gutted the far end of the trailer as I would like to build the couch/ bunk beds in as in the other model of the 4500. Is there anyone here who has this model and could send some pictures of the bunk beds and the hinge mount under the window). The other information I could really use (I know I am asking a lot here) is the bench height (from the floor, without cushion) and the height in between the bench and the first bunk,. I realize I don't have much of a choice as far as mounting the backrest/top bunk portion. However it just seems that there is not going to be much room between them. It would be nice if the kids could at least sit up under the top bunk. I have seen Kurt in BC's Boler website which has given me some good ideas, however the Trillium window seems to be much lower. Thank you -Torrey
If you're going to change the bunk area I would reccomend installing a front dinette/bunk combination. I have a rough 1981 4500 that I just started to work on that appears to have a factory front dinette/bunk configuration. There was no bunk and no cushions with the trailer but I figured most of them need to be replaced anyway and I got it really cheap. I also have a 13.5 Bigfoot with the front dinette and once you've had this feature there's no going back. My wife and I have used the Bigfoot for a year now and never use the rear table so there is no setup required on a daily basis. The left base and right base are 28" apart with a 3/4" lip along the edge to support a 29 1/2 board which becomes the table in the up position. In order to use the top bunk as a back/side rest you then have to support the table with one or preferably two tubes from the floor because the top bunk is covering the hinge that would normally support the wall end of the table. Our Bigfoot only has one tube but, but the trillium table will be a bit larger and might benefit from a second tube. The top of the bunk(no cushion) is 15" off the floor on mine. There is a 1/2" deep 1" diameter recesse in both bases to locate the front support tubes for the upper bunk. I have attached a photo of the bunk base and a couple of a major fiberglass repair I am attempting. This trailer was rolled in the Rockies a few years ago and lost it's belly band and crushed the top front driver's side corner rather badly. I intend filling the belly band area and then maybe using vinyl trim if it looks like it needs it. I think they used the belly band as a less labor intensive method of assembly and if it is properly filled water entry should no longer be an issue. If you have any other questions let me know.
Bill
Click image for larger version

Name:	4500c.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	7494
[attachment=9367:att
achment]
Attached Thumbnails
fgrepair1.jpg   fgrepair2.jpg  

Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
The corners will need to be radiused to match the trailer on both levels but it does sort of work itself out.
I am a novice carpenter at best and have a limited selection of tools (jigsaw for cutting the corners of the bench/bunk tops). I enjoy doing this stuff, but try to make it as simple as possible. I figure the bench top and bunk are going to be 3/4" plywood and I will have entries above the bench and from underneath as well. The corners are my biggest concern and I am wondering exactly how I will tackle making them fit nicely, any suggestions which might help me? Can I follow the corners with a (geometry) compass to make a template? I guess I'm used to working with stuff that's "square". I love my egg.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The corners are my biggest concern and I am wondering exactly how I will tackle making them fit nicely, any suggestions which might help me? Can I follow the corners with a (geometry) compass to make a template?
I borrowed this picture from LauraW that shows a cardboard template used to create upper cabinets. You could use this same idea to get a good fit on the curves for the bunk!

THANKS LAURA!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pattern.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	7503
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
The outer folding section looked exactly like the rest of that part.
It had the same type of backing(plywood)the same foam and the same fabric.
When raised and in place as a bunk,the hinge is on the bottem so that it make for a flat entire bunk.

When made as a bunk the hinged small section folds up under and ends up behind the main section/backrest and the backrest angles due to the thickness of the small section.
Very simple but smart design.
Hey Ed,

The bunk is basically finished and I just need to hang the backrest portion and then get cushions. Do you know what height the small hinged section sits at when the backrest is in the down position. Meaning does it go right down to the wood of the bench (which wouldn't really work unless I had a seperate back portion of thea bottom cushion which could be stowed), or does it account for the bench cushion and rest slightly above its level (I am assuming trilliums are like this), or perhaps something different all together.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Hey Ed,

The bunk is basically finished and I just need to hang the backrest portion and then get cushions. Do you know what height the small hinged section sits at when the backrest is in the down position. Meaning does it go right down to the wood of the bench (which wouldn't really work unless I had a seperate back portion of thea bottom cushion which could be stowed), or does it account for the bench cushion and rest slightly above its level (I am assuming trilliums are like this), or perhaps something different all together.

Torrey

The small hinged section folds UNDER he large section and then ends up behind the large main section which becomes the backrest.
The small hinged section is not even visable when the bench is in use.

Because the backrest height is then made entirely of the large section,it is the length of the distance betwen the hinge point on the window and the cushion height if the bench.

Because the small section is flipped behind the backrest,it imparts an angle to the backrest as it can not tuck fully against the front wall because of the little hinged sction.

Hope this makes sense.

Ed
Old 05-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #14

Yep. That does it. Just wanted to make sure that the height of the cushion was accounted for. Thanks Ed.

Tags
trillium