Trillium: Cracked Battery Shelf - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Since I don't own a welder I just go down to "Joe the Welders", every town has one. Every little task seems to be $20 and thanks.
Here in Toledo, we have "Joe the non-union plumber" that made headlines challenging Barack Obama. I wonder if they are related?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Sometimes things aren't what they seem

As a former designer, I would say the bend in that corner was too sharp. Sharp bends tend to concentrate the stress into the corner. A radiused bend should work much better.

I don't know what other bracing is in that area, since the design is different from mine. Welding and stress can be a funny thing to work with. Sometimes making it 'stronger' actually weakens it.

I agree with taking it to a welder and have him look at it and give suggestions. He would probably have the necessary stuff just laying around his shop. There is no substitution for an experienced eye.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Humm, if I was looking to do this repair on my Scamp, I'd look at angle iron (for the sides) and expanded metal for the "floor." Water that pools... just invites rust. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Today is the first day of rifle season here in Vt. I suspect "Joe the welder" is out chasing the elusive whitetail and by the time he gets back we will have had several snow falls with lots of salted roads. Not good for trailer frames. As such I have lots of time to decide how to proceed.

Roger mentioned his Trillum was different so I went to the registry and had a look, followed by an hour or so of "tongue inspections". We all need a hobby. Roger's tongue is two straight pieces of metal with the tongue section welded on top of the trailer section, making the tongue level. Trillium Outback does the same thing. Casita's and Scamp's also appear to have level tongues and no upswing. With a level tongue, the battery/ propane shelf can be welded on the top of the rail. The original Trilliums have one piece rails that are bent up and in to form the tongue. Escape appears to be doing the same thing. On our California Trillium they create the same effect by welding each rail from 3 pieces of metal. With this style frame the battery/ tank shelf, which needs to be level, is welded to the upwardly sloping rails on the side. Only the 2010 California Trillium has the shelf suspended below the rails.

Each manufacturers frame design reflects their solution to the variables of tongue height, head room, trailer height, and ground clearance. Interesting stuff. Raz
Old 11-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #19

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
As a former designer, I would say the bend in that corner was too sharp. Sharp bends tend to concentrate the stress into the corner. A radiused bend should work much better.

I don't know what other bracing is in that area, since the design is different from mine. Welding and stress can be a funny thing to work with. Sometimes making it 'stronger' actually weakens it.

I agree with taking it to a welder and have him look at it and give suggestions. He would probably have the necessary stuff just laying around his shop. There is no substitution for an experienced eye.
I agree, it seems as these corners have rather small radius bends,
George.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
Raz

Vermont
The solution

Finally got to fixing the battery propane tray issue. Thought I would share my solution just to complete the thread. First I cut the tray from the hangers. The hangers were ground down and I had two pieces of angle iron welded to the inside of the tongue rails. The compound angle of the tongue made setup a bit tricky. Took about 2 hours and cost $80. The welder came here.
Attached Thumbnails
P4150644.jpg   P4150646.jpg  

P4150647.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Raz

Vermont
Next, I made two jigs to cut the shelf to fit the angle iron. The first was to get the angles which were transfered to a second jig used to guide a saw with a metal cutting blade.
Attached Thumbnails
P4150649.jpg   P4150652.jpg  

P4150655.jpg   P4150656.jpg  

Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
Raz

Vermont
I decided to bolt the tray to the angle iron so in the future I can replace the tray if need be. To get the holes right I drilled small pilot holes in the angle iron first and then from underneath drilled up though the shelf. I then drilled all holes to size. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
P4190650.jpg   P4190652.jpg  

Tags
battery, trillium