Trillium Decals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 1300 Trillium
We are recent purchasers of a vintage 1976 Trillium 1300(and loving it despite the rainy 6 days of first camping in it experience). I am looking to replace the original decals which were located on the door side and the back.

The rear decal looked to be a Bumber sticker sized decal shaped like a rombus with the Trillium and the word trillium beside.

The two decals beside the door looked to be from Road associations.

If anyone has these decals and can pass along photos, then I can recreate them, or if anyone knows of where to acquire these decals that would be much better.

Any assistance you may provide will be appreciated.
Keith Boddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Keith,

I have 4 decals beside the door:

Click image for larger version

Name:	decals.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	21485

Edit: Ignore the Idaho sticker, that's a new one.

The Trillium logo's I have are very faded and I too would like to replace them. There has been some discussion in the past of people uploading a vector based graphic version of the logo so that people could take it to their nearest print shop and have them done up. However, Trillium RV (www.trilliumrv.com) owns the rights to the Trillium brand and no one wants to get into legal issues around this. You can currently buy some of the original decals from them.

Direct link to parts page then scroll down to decals
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #3

Oh, and congratulations on your new trailer! Please post some pictures as 1976 was a fine year for Trilliums =)
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
The above is all true (and verified), i.e. 1) Trillium RV doesn't have any of the old parallelogram-shaped labels any more, and 2) you cannot create or redistribute your own version of it without trademark infringement.

However... based on past email exchanges with Trillium I know that with sufficient demand they might be made available again, so the best thing to do would be to express your interest and who knows - it may actually happen.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a huge difference between reproducing something for personal use and reproducing something for sale... here in the United States. For instance if I choose to recreate the Chevrolet "bowtie" and then sell it on eBay, I'd better have Chevrolet's approval to do so, or I'd find myself in a lawsuit. But, Chevrolet wouldn't come after me for creating anything "bowtie" and putting it on my OWN rig. It's a common thing in the hotrod world, when owners are trying to recreate an old car and the originals are no longer available.

So, that said... you can take vector art to a sign shop and get what you need made... just don't sell the decals, bumper stickers or whatever... to anyone else.

The Trillium logo font is Arial. You don't even need vector art. Just the font which is common on PCs.

PS: I'm NOT a lawyer.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

That's Donna for you, always living on the edge
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
The Trillium logo font is Arial. You don't even need vector art. Just the font which is common on PCs.

PS: I'm NOT a lawyer.
I'm not a lawyer either, but I do have some background on graphic design, and I do admit I am nitpicky about these things. I know there is more to a "logo" than just slapping together an approximation of it with your favourite drawing package. For instance, I know for a fact that plain Arial is pretty close but not technically exact (I spent many many hours on this a few months ago). Trademarks have certain details about them with font variations, letter spacing, and artistic touches that anyone shouldn't just mess with, especially if official versions are available. Part of this is personal opinion, and part of it is based on the official response I got from Trillium, but distributing an imperfect bitmap mockup of a logo so others can make many copies of it does remove value from the trademark. Of course, whether you can get away with it if you do it anyway is another story.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #8

It's sorta like the Boler logo. DaxWide is kinda close, but not exact. I agree it's the same using Arial for the Trillium logo. But something is better than nothing. Many times people just want something to look good, they don't really care it's not "authentic" or even "original." And as you've said Daniel, IF there's sufficient demand Trillium will make them available again. So what happens if there isn't sufficient demand? People will make their own and are looking for an approximation of what's needed. Better to use Arial than Comic Sans

So, is it real or is it Memorex?

Name:   RealorMemorex.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  16.3 KB

And yes, I see the slight difference in the T and the R and the dots over the I.... but not bad for a font, rather than a drawing out of Illustrator. Takes a lot less time too.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote:
It's sorta like the Boler logo. [...] So what happens if there isn't sufficient demand? People will make their own and are looking for an approximation of what's needed.
Donna, all I can say is that unlike Boler, Trillium seems to care, and when I asked Trillium permission to pass along to FGRV members a bitmap file that I had created myself which was professional grade, vector-based, and approved by a professional graphic designer, i.e. technically accurate, Trillium explicitly told me that they legally cannot allow it, as allowing "free access" to their logo diminishes its value, and their rights to it. I'm afraid this here situation is pretty much the same as mine. And one thing is for sure: if everybody makes their own "reasonable facsimile" there will never be sufficient demand for the real thing. I'm aware that not a whole lot of people care about the graphic details - and that's exactly what makes it difficult for all of us waiting for the official decals.

That being said, I'm willing to start a poll about this so that everybody who's interested in getting the parallelogram-shaped Trillium logo can just submit a vote. Then I'll volunteer to bug Trillium about getting the new ones made.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Donna, all I can say is that unlike Boler, Trillium seems to care, and when I asked Trillium permission to pass along to FGRV members a bitmap file that I had created myself which was professional grade, vector-based, and approved by a professional graphic designer, i.e. technically accurate, Trillium explicitly told me that they legally cannot allow it, as allowing "free access" to their logo diminishes its value, and their rights to it. I'm afraid this here situation is pretty much the same as mine. And one thing is for sure: if everybody makes their own "reasonable facsimile" there will never be sufficient demand for the real thing. I'm aware that not a whole lot of people care about the graphic details - and that's exactly what makes it difficult for all of us waiting for the official decals.

That being said, I'm willing to start a poll about this so that everybody who's interested in getting the parallelogram-shaped Trillium logo can just submit a vote. Then I'll volunteer to bug Trillium about getting the new ones made.

Maybe it's too bad they didn't take Daniel up on his services.
It looks to me that the orange "Trillium 1300" they offer as a decal replacement doesn't tuck the "r" under the "T" and the "i"'s are not dotted but square.
Arial Narrow /Bold /Italic is close but not quite original.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #11

Thanks to all who have added content.

Does anyone have pictures of the original decal from the back?

I will do some more digging into the legal side of things. Not sure if one or even 20 bumper stickers around the world is worth persuing legal action over from the stand point of a copyright infringment case, as long as a person is not selling things and making profit from them, it makes it more palatable to me, but as I said, I will look into the copyright laws here in Canada.

Thanks again to all,
Keith
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Whatchoo guys doin', bangin on Boler. After all you have at least four different fonts to work with there.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Does anyone have pictures of the original decal from the back?
Do you mean the silver one with the black or dark green words "Trilium" ?

If no one answers up, I'll see if I can get a picture of one at the Oregon Gathering next week
Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #14

This is the decal I have front and back (yep, looks very bad). I am assuming this is the one we have been talking about.

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	21507

I found this picture - you can see it was originally dark green with silver writing.

Name:	better.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	21508
Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #15

The image you posted looks slightly better than mine. But you are correct, this is the decal we are speaking about.

BTW, I contacted the CRVA and CSA, they will not re-issue the decals for the door side. Mine are so fadded as to be invisible, shame really. However, move on I must, I will try to recreate the back decal as best I can, for my own personal use.

Thanks again to everyone, I must say the forum folks here are great with the responses.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
The image you posted looks slightly better than mine. But you are correct, this is the decal we are speaking about.

BTW, I contacted the CRVA and CSA, they will not re-issue the decals for the door side. Mine are so fadded as to be invisible, shame really. However, move on I must, I will try to recreate the back decal as best I can, for my own personal use.

Thanks again to everyone, I must say the forum folks here are great with the responses.
Saw this one today on a For Sale '72 Trillium

Name:	IMGP4016.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	22669
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #17

FYI - Tom's recent post about new Trillium decals here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=37479
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
I am looking for repros of the orange Trillium Jubilee decals, which are not at all like the green Trillium ones. I will upload a picture later when I am not ready to throw the 'puter out the window - technical difficulties just now. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #19

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
OK, trying again to post pic: successful. This is what I need. Any helpful hints, suggestions, etc all welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
P7150007.jpg  
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
Saw this one today on a For Sale '72 Trillium

Attachment 22669
My older 1300 has this logo. It would be interesting to date the various versions of the logo. For example, I am pretty sure that the logo that is imbosed into the door lost the line under it in 1977. The trapazoid was replaced by the parallelagram in 1974, I think.

This is of interest to me because my Canaloupe is regestered as a 1979, but I am sure it is 1973, or older. I hope it is not stolen.

The pictures are from both the Wedding Gift, and the Cantaloupe, (greenish). Note the missing line under the logo on the 1977 Wedding gift.
Attached Thumbnails
Cantaloupe - Logo - Back.jpg   Cantaloupe - Logo - Beside Door.jpg  

Wedding Gift - Logo - Back.jpg   Wedding Gift - Logo - Beside Door.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium