Trillium Door Catch Problem - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joan D's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 8
Thumbs up

HI All
I have a 1975 Trillium 13ft with a door problem. When I got my trailer the door catch was broken. It's not the actual lock but the "striker" type metal piece that catches the lock & keeps the door shut. Now I'm pretty sure the catch on my trailer is not the original....looks kinda like a metal piece that was kinda screwed in place but not firmly. What I was hoping to get here was maybe if someone out there has the original catch on your trailer you could send me some pictures of it. I have a guy who is willing to fabricate & install a new one but I need a visual/pictures of an original catch. Any & all help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
Joan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,816
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
HI All
I have a 1975 Trillium 13ft with a door problem. When I got my trailer the door catch was broken. It's not the actual lock but the "striker" type metal piece that catches the lock & keeps the door shut. Now I'm pretty sure the catch on my trailer is not the original....looks kinda like a metal piece that was kinda screwed in place but not firmly. What I was hoping to get here was maybe if someone out there has the original catch on your trailer you could send me some pictures of it. I have a guy who is willing to fabricate & install a new one but I need a visual/pictures of an original catch. Any & all help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
Hi: Joan D... You could try Trillium Outback in Calgary to see what they use on the new Outback trailers??? They do have a service dept. Some members have had good success with finding new parts for vintage Trills there.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joan D's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 8
Quote:
Hi: Joan D... You could try Trillium Outback in Calgary to see what they use on the new Outback trailers??? They do have a service dept. Some members have had good success with finding new parts for vintage Trills there.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Thanks Alf...but I have already given the Calgary service dept a call & they don't have it (or anything similar). They suggested a couple places here in Edmonton....but unfortunately nobody seems to have what I'm looking for. That's when I thought if I could just see one, I could have someone make it and life would be good again...well at least the door would stay shut
__________________
Joan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
brendadave's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 218
Maybe this post will shed a little light for you?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=270070
__________________
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Daniel V.'s Avatar
 
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Posts: 495
Quote:
Thanks Alf...but I have already given the Calgary service dept a call & they don't have it (or anything similar). They suggested a couple places here in Edmonton....but unfortunately nobody seems to have what I'm looking for. That's when I thought if I could just see one, I could have someone make it and life would be good again...well at least the door would stay shut
Hello Joan,

Check the post mentioned above. Trillium Outback in Calgary sent me the exact piece you need just a couple weeks ago. It's a part they manufacture themselves and they sell it for about $25 if I remember correctly, including the rivets. Just ask Lynn to send you the same thing they sent me.
__________________
Driving on parkways and parking in driveways.
Daniel V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Joan D's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 8
Quote:
Hello Joan,

Check the post mentioned above. Trillium Outback in Calgary sent me the exact piece you need just a couple weeks ago. It's a part they manufacture themselves and they sell it for about $25 if I remember correctly, including the rivets. Just ask Lynn to send you the same thing they sent me.
Hi All

Thanks a bunch for all the info. Daniel, the catch in the picture from the post above (Brendadave) it's PERFECT it's exactly the right one I need. Thx. However, I again called Team Trillium in Calgary & as you suggested, Daniel, asked for Lynn to send me the same thing they sent you. Lynn isn't sure what she sent you & as far as she knows there is NO door catch that will fit my 1975 trailer. I mentioned it's the part they manufacture themselves for their new Outbacks & sell it for about $25. She doesn't think so but needs to see a picture of it to know for sure. Daniel could you please e-mail the picture from the post above (Brendadave) to me so then I can forward to Lynn. Why does this seem so hard???
__________________
Joan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Joan D's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 8
Thanks again everyone Lynn in Calgary just called me back, she figured it out & is shipping the catch out tomorrow

Daniel, I have a couple questions....did you pre-drill the holes? If so, what size & kind of drill bit did you use? As I'm not too great with the fix 'em stuff, I need all the help I can get.
__________________
Joan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,816
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks again everyone Lynn in Calgary just called me back, she figured it out & is shipping the catch out tomorrow

Daniel, I have a couple questions....did you pre-drill the holes? If so, what size & kind of drill bit did you use? As I'm not too great with the fix 'em stuff, I need all the help I can get.
Hi: Joan...Glad it worked out for you!!! It pays to stick to it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Daniel V.'s Avatar
 
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Posts: 495
Quote:
Daniel, I have a couple questions....did you pre-drill the holes? If so, what size & kind of drill bit did you use? As I'm not too great with the fix 'em stuff, I need all the help I can get.
Joan, glad you got it figured out. In case she's still not 100% certain, tell her it's their home-made door strike for the Bargman L300 door lock. I believe it's what they use on their new trailers.

Proper installation may be a bit tricky depending on how you tackle this. The door strike can be secured with the rivets that come with it, but that requires the use of a riveter tool! Not to worry, it's much easier than it sounds, but cannot be done if you don't have the right tool. Alternatively, I guess you could use small bolts with a nut or two on to hold it on the inside. The idea is to make sure they don't come loose easily, and the whole assembly needs to be sturdy enough to withstand the multiple door closings and the occasional slammings. As to pre-drilling, you need to understand that you're poking holes through fiberglass, and you most definitely need to pre-drill holes, and the holes need to be of the right size (which depends on the rivets or bolts). So there's a bit more to it than wood for example, and it's something you should get familiar with if you ever need to fix other things around the trailer. In my case, there were 4 holes, two of which go through the edge of the door opening, and two others that end up inside the cabinet at the corner. I also decided to plug the old holes with a bit of fiberglass resin.
__________________

__________________
Driving on parkways and parking in driveways.
Daniel V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trillium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boler Cabinet Door Catch / Latch Replacement Mike Roho Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 06-08-2010 03:08 AM
Next problem... Hinge on outside door broke off!! Rob Carmody Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 09-07-2008 07:40 PM
77 Surfside door catch Cam A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 10-12-2007 07:49 AM
Door Problem Donna & Chris Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 08-27-2007 09:15 AM
Door problem with Burro James Bar. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 08-14-2006 12:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.