Trillium door lock won't close itself - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #21

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I'm glad to learn that my Trillium door alignment issue is not unique. As I described earlier my re-installation did cure my latching issue and I do have a consistent or even reveal door to body on all sides of the door. This is probably more important than the detail of the side moulding lining up. As Francesca says if it closes and latches okay you are probably better off leaving it alone. If, however, it is wearing off edges of the door and it doesn't close right you will probably have to reposition the hinges, maybe just the bottom one, to push the bottom edge of the door further to the strike side. I feel your pain. Good luck.
Reid
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
NEWSFLASH !!!

The Trillium has got to be the most copied piece of merchandise since the U.S.Twenty dollar bill...
Here's another trailer imitated from the original Trillium molds.
I think it's being made in British Columbia. The model in the picture is a bit longer than the Originals but...well, judge for yourself who this baby's Mama is!
The smaller model these Flattering Folks have on offer is an almost exact duplicate of the Original Trillium 1300 (I couldn't get the picture to upload) EXCEPT...
These trailermakers, at least, have attempted to solve the two-planes-on-each-side-of-the-door-don't-match problem.
Visually, anyway.
It looks like they just recast the door-I don't think the two planes now align, but they sure made it LOOK as if they might!
Certainly cheaper than fixing the body mold problem...
And yet... do my eyes deceive me, or is the left edge STILL a teensy weensy bit off?

Francesca
Attached Images

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #23

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
I removed the entire door latch on our trillium and gave it a good cleaning and greasing (the lock mechanism wasn't working smoothly on the inside). Overall it helped alot to smooth out latching the door. Like others I hold up the handle when I close the door. A few times the wind has caught the door and slammed it shut and latched, but it is murder on the striker plate, I have already had to re-rivet mine because it started to wiggle.
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #24

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
NEWSFLASH !!!

The Trillium has got to be the most copied piece of merchandise since the U.S.Twenty dollar bill...
I think it's being made in British Columbia. The model in the picture is a bit longer than the Originals but...well, judge for yourself who this baby's Mama is!
The smaller model these Flattering Folks have on offer is an almost exact duplicate of the Original Trillium 1300 (I couldn't get the picture to upload) EXCEPT...
These trailermakers, at least, have attempted to solve the two-planes-on-each-side-of-the-door-don't-match problem.
Visually, anyway.
It looks like they just recast the door-I don't think the two planes now align, but they sure made it LOOK as if they might!
And yet... do my eyes deceive me, or is the left edge STILL a teensy weensy bit off?

Francesca
Any chance those NEW models will have entire doors that fit the old models? For the price of finding a Bargman L-400 and the work of repairing the damage behind the springs it may be worth buying a new door. Hardware and all.... Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
Any chance those NEW models will have entire doors that fit the old models? For the price of finding a Bargman L-400 and the work of repairing the damage behind the springs it may be worth buying a new door. Hardware and all.... Randy
Hi, Randy!
I don't see why a door off a "new" Trillium or Bigfoot wouldn't fit.
They've certainly been faithful to the original molds!
Trouble is, the new Trilliums are the same dreary "polar white" color as everything else on the road these days
I don't think you could match the Classic Original color of the real Trilliums.
I actually completely rebuilt my door, and I'm pretty happy with it- especially once I figured out that the un-matching belly line is an as-designed "feature" for which there is no "cure".

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #26

Massachusetts
Registry
Maybe the door needs to have a liitle character to it? Maybe a bright red? You know like people paint their house doors. At least here in Mass...lol.... Maybe a mural painted on it if it didn't match enough to leave white... Randy
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #27

Registry
That would actually be really cool...
It'd be interesting to contact Trillium or Bigfoot- or even Escape-and find out if they'll sell a complete door...

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
NEWSFLASH !!!

Visually, anyway.

Francesca
Actually Francesca they were not attempting to "Flatter" anyone with their smaller model. If you check out this thread from a couple of years ago you will see they originally had a deal with Trilliam.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-rv-35021.html
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
That would actually be really cool...
It'd be interesting to contact Trillium or Bigfoot- or even Escape-and find out if they'll sell a complete door...

Francesca
Good grief!
I'm replying to myself
Just a correction, really- I meant to say "Outback" which for some strange reason I always mix up with "Bigfoot".
As far as I know, Bigfoot didn't use Trillium molds...Outback did.
Here's a picture of a 2004 Model. They still had the Trillium logo on the door that year...

And the Famous Factory Belly Line Fit! (left side of door)

2004 Trillium Outback trailer | Dalmeny, SK, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

And there's another Trillium clone I forgot to mention: The Surfside!
They reworked the right front and door panels a bit and made the back window smaller-you can see the shadows of the original designs in the picture, though..

And they kept the Belly Line Fit, too...(left side/door, too!)
-
1979-SurfSide-TripleE

Anyway, Randy-

I think your whole door replacement idea's a good one, and maybe Trillium, Escape, or OUTBACK will give you a price...

Francesca
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #30

Massachusetts
Registry
ummm update..... I just took the 2 screws that held my L-400 in the door. It comes out as one unit. I sprayed it with WD-40 and now it closes perfectly without lifting the handle.... TRY IT... a phillips screwdriver a can of WD-40 and less than 5 minutes and you will be sooooo happy... Randy
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #31

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
ummm update..... I just took the 2 screws that held my L-400 in the door. It comes out as one unit. I sprayed it with WD-40 and now it closes perfectly without lifting the handle.... TRY IT... a phillips screwdriver a can of WD-40 and less than 5 minutes and you will be sooooo happy... Randy
Woot! Woot! I was sterling up for a battle royale with my door. I tried this and it now works perfectly. Thanks for the tip!
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium