Trillium Door Sag - I know.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
The plates were made from a piece of 1/4" scrap steel I had laying around. I used the hinge as a template to predrill the holes in the plate and the holes in the trailer. The plates are not epoxied in. I suppose you could epoxy the plates in and then drill all the holes at the same time. Might make alignment easier. As I recall I had to a little filing on one hole. Raz

Old 01-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #16

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I have some plate laying around as well so I will see if I can make that work. Good idea using the hinges as a template, I will do that as well.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Here's how I set the door.

You might will need a helper inside the trailer. I used the egress window to get into the trailer. Some older Trilliums don't have an egress window.

I used duct tape to position the door. Note: The raised area on the belly band will not align with the raised band on the door. It's a flaw in the mold. I eyeballed the gaps on the sides. I filled 11 of the 12 holes leaving the upper rear. I attached the upper hinge by the one screw and adjusted things do the hinge pin was parallel to the gap and centered. I then marked and drilled the remaining 5 holes. A countersink center punch is useful here. Once drilled you can attach the upper hinge. The helper needs to align the plate and attach the nuts.

I positioned the lower hinge and measured between upper and lower rear holes. I made a spacing tool using a piece of scrape wood and a couple of nails. With this I laid out the lower hinge. Drill, attach, done. Don't forget to let the helper out of the trailer. Raz
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #18

North Carolina
Thanks! I am going to try to select my hardware today.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #19

North Carolina
So, I have the 1/4-1/2" or so wood blocks in there from the factory. Would it be better to remove those or to do the metal over them and basically sandwich the wood between the hinge/fiberglass and metal?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #20

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Id say if the wood is in decent shape leave it so the weight on the plate gets dispersed though the glassed in ply. I would worry that a corner of a square plate might try to push though the curved outer wall
Old 02-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #21

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
Id say if the wood is in decent shape leave it so the weight on the plate gets dispersed though the glassed in ply. I would worry that a corner of a square plate might try to push though the curved outer wall
Good thinking. After looking closer, the wood is in amazing shape. I think I am going to leave it in place, not use the metal plate, and then just use superior hardware. I won't put the ensolite permanently back in place and will keep an eye on it for a bit to see how it holds, that way I can add the plate in if necessary in the future.

Tags
trillium