Trillium Floor Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '79 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Trillium Floor Question

I recently purchased a 1079 4500. The floor has square self-stick tiles and I am removing them with a heat gun and it is going well. The fiberglass on the floor seems very clean. From what I have read, it seems to me that the Trilliums may have had plywood floors, but it does not appear that any plywood was on the floor. When I resurface the floor, should I put plywood
down first? Thanks for the help.
34Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The plywood is between the fiberglass of the bottom and the fiberglass of the floor. I did a floating vinyl strip floor on mine. Laid it over some of the rubber mesh that keeps carpets from slipping.

The only problem I've noticed is that the vinyl strips are cupping. It appears that the seams are elevating a bit where they overlap - while the middle is sinking. But it has been a few years now.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

Michigan
Trillium floor question continued

Thank you for the info, I'm now wondering how the plywood was secured to the floor. The fiberglass just seems to be in such pristine shape. Possibly with an adhesive and it was cleaned up very well prior to the laying of vinyl tile. Does the plywood then have a structural component? Because the fiberglass floor feels very solid under foot.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Not sure if you understood me. The plywood is under the fiberglass under your foot making it feel solid. Under that is the fiberglass of the underside of the trailer. Sort of like a sandwich.

Floor Fiberglass
Plywood
Body Fiberglass
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #5

Michigan
correction

Sorry for misunderstanding in my first the response. I now realize that there is plywood in the floor, but it is sandwiched in between the exterior fiberglass and the interior fiberglass floor. I just did some more work on my 4500 and noted that there is exposed plywood under the front seats. My 4500 has the twin dinette in the front. So just disregard my first response. Was the original floor carpeted?
Old 05-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #6

Michigan
Response

Sorry Roy, I posted my last reply before I saw your clarification. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Roy.. When I first got my Trillium it had indoor-outdoor carpet glued to the floor.. While ithe carpet felt soft underfoot it was a bigger to keep clean.. So what I did is I removed the carpet and replaced it with Linoleum.. I cut it to fit then instead of gluing it in place I cut some nice wood trim and drilled holes in the trim then placed screws in the holes and screwed through the Lino into the fibreglass of the floor.. Now the floor is easy to keep clean and if and when I ever want to re and re the Lino all I have to do is remove the screws, pull out the Lino and use the old Lino as the pattern for the new one ��
Old 05-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Michigan
response

Sounds like a great plan. Thank you.

Tags
trillium