Trillium Floor Repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Trillium Floor Repair

I bought my trailer under the impression that the floor by the stove/fridge and the couch was rotten and expecting a ton of work. A while back I drilled into the floor just to see what was going on. To my surprise dry wood came out. Leads me to believe that the fiberglass has just lifted up in that corner.

Now I'm scratching my head to determine the best way to repair just the corner. Both doors under the couch have trouble opening over the floor because it's "bubbled." Towards the back of the trailer everything seems fine.

Has anyone had this issue? What would the cause be? Should I cut out the offending fiberglass and redo it? Then I could get a real inspection of the wood as well.

I would like to refinish the flooring so would like to have the flattest floor before I begin.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Our 1978 Trillium 4500 has similar issues where the interior fiberglass components the comprise the floor don't lay flat. In our case either a previous owner or the manufacturer put some screws through the fiberglass floor into the plywood. To install finish flooring, I would have to remove the screws and somehow secure the fiberglass flat to the plywood. I would probably use construction adhesive and hold in place with some heavy weights, e.g., sandbags.

Edit: On our FG floor, there is also a 1/2" gap between 2 interior FG modules (i.e., the plywood is exposed here). I would probably grind the edges here and fill with bondo-glass.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
floor repair

you might try trimming the doors or move the doors up.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #4

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP 56 View Post
you might try trimming the doors or move the doors up.
I'll likely have to do this anyway depending on what flooring I install but that doesn't address the actual issue.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #5

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Our 1978 Trillium 4500 has similar issues where the interior fiberglass components the comprise the floor don't lay flat. In our case either a previous owner or the manufacturer put some screws through the fiberglass floor into the plywood. To install finish flooring, I would have to remove the screws and somehow secure the fiberglass flat to the plywood. I would probably use construction adhesive and hold in place with some heavy weights, e.g., sandbags.

Edit: On our FG floor, there is also a 1/2" gap between 2 interior FG modules (i.e., the plywood is exposed here). I would probably grind the edges here and fill with bondo-glass.
I've thought about this as well. Cut the floor to relieve the wavyness, peel it back, and then PL it all back down.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
floor repair

Yes i have had to do that to .what i have seen on mine is that it was plywood encapsaleted in fiber glass and the delamanation of the resen .your idea will work best.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium